Why become a member? ×

Should bands (in name) carry on after large lineup changes?

Twincam

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1464790465' post='3062574']
thin lizzy without phil to me isn't thin lizzy.
[/quote]

I think privately they felt the same, so when they eventually started writing new material they changed to Black Star Riders.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1464788588' post='3062544']
The thing is though orchestras play the exact same thing near enough, notes, timing etc since they were invented. An orchestra is made to play original pieces pretty much exactly as intended. The original composer written the piece for any orchestra to play.
The conductor be it someone else or the original composer only has so much say from what is written. Where other music has many more variables.
Not saying classic music is boring or doesn't have a difference between conductors or orchestras as it does but it does have less variables despite having more people playing the piece.
[/quote]
Not entirely correct. I used to think this, until I married and got educated.

Different interpretations of classical music can be very different as the orchestration changes. The conductor is also a key factor. In essence you're correct though; the sound is only effected by a few key people, such as Arranger, Conductor and first violin, or other solo instrumentalists.

I'm surprised no has mentioned Fleetwood Mac yet. A very different line up these days from the Peter Green days and very different music as well. Is this a problem? I don't think so.

Also, someone mentioned The Beatles. Seems to me they were the complete opposite to living in the past ( cue a Jethro Tull example?) - they kept their line up intact but changed their music completely. Is anyone suggesting they should have stuck with 'Love Me Do' type songs?

Things change, and a good job too (usually).

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1464789033' post='3062550']

The thing is this. Companies launch brand new products they are not trying to copy the original models, they evolve naturally. Where a band with only so many original members doing the old songs is trying to be pretty much like the original as that is what people want.

So that argument doesn't not apply. You could apply it to fender etc whom are doing original models but are different ownership but even then they are keeping to pretty much the exact formula and trying to keep the tradition and history close to there hearts. The product hasn't changed even though manufacturing techniques are totally different.
Again in music this can not apply people have more variables if they sounded pretty much the same it might be better or ok but they don't, they but there own stamp on it changing the original to much that in the end they sound a covers band.
[/quote]

But surely that's exactly what any band does whether they're a cover band or the original artist. Once you've released the record - the song has been designed and manufactured - after that you're just recreating the original using the plans and whatever manufacturing methods you have to hand. The plans aren't even carved in stone, they're constantly changing to make a slightly different version of the original.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1464787712' post='3062531']

My own personal favourites (The Who) are a particularly good case study in which changing any one band member completely changes the sound and dynamic of the band - the two studio albums following Moon's demise demonstrated this amply, and even after the Ox sadly left us, it's clear their live sound is not the same (despite Pino's sterling efforts).
[/quote]It could also be argued that they were well past their creative sell-by date when Moon died. I personally preferred the drumming after.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1464790465' post='3062574']
the only time this doesnt apply of course, is if a massively key cog or massive character in the band leaves... for example, queen without freddy mercury is almost a parody of itself now, and thin lizzy without phil to me isn't thin lizzy.
[/quote]

Of course, when Alex Harvey left SAHB, they became "The Sensational Alex Harvey Band without Alex". That's telling it like it is.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1464793226' post='3062618']
I'm surprised no has mentioned Fleetwood Mac yet. A very different line up these days from the Peter Green days and very different music as well. Is this a problem? I don't think so.

Also, someone mentioned The Beatles. Seems to me they were the complete opposite to living in the past ( cue a Jethro Tull example?) - they kept their line up intact but changed their music completely. Is anyone suggesting they should have stuck with 'Love Me Do' type songs?

Things change, and a good job too (usually).
[/quote]
only five posts in...

http://forgottenbands.blogspot.fr/2010/09/heinz-saints.html

I have been playing bass for them for years and am temporarily the main singer whilst our singer gets over cancer.
Rick the drummer was the last original member and he left to retire about the same time I joined.

Whats in a name, indeed.

Edited by ivansc

I think a lot of music fans don't mind as they know the deal and some can be a bit overly precious about it. If I was a bass player in a successful band why should I stop just because most of the others have? Often the calibre of musician joining tends to be of a good standard so if the audience know what they are getting, why not?

I've seen modern variations of a few classic bands and always had a good night. Okay so it isn't (insert classic year) and (insert famous original member) isn't playing but I knew that when I bought the ticket.

To me, once a band has none of the original members left they should change the name to one that leaves no doubt as to what band they once were, example being if The Sex Pistols had carried on, if one by one they all left but others were remaining, call themselves Pretty Vacant or Never Mind The Bollox, something like that.

Saying that though, I`ve been to see The Drifters a good few times over the past couple of years, and they`re awesome, doing the old material and some new stuff.

I think of Fleetwood Mac as two entirely separate bands, the Peter Green era and the Buckingham / Nicks era, even though the founder members remained the same, we go to see Rumours of Fleetwood Mac when they play in Northampton, I always find the Peter Green era section slightly weird as I far less familiar with that version of the band and don't associate that sound with the Fleetwood Mac I know.

My favourite live band is Still Little Fingers, Jake Burns and Ally McMordie are the only two original members but as long as Jake remains as front man and song writer they will still be SLF.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1464809795' post='3062847']
My favourite live band is Still Little Fingers, Jake Burns and Ally McMordie are the only two original members but as long as Jake remains as front man and song writer they will still be SLF.
[/quote]

Quite, and even then both Steve Grantley and Ian McCallum have been with Jake for over 20 years as well now. SLF are also at Rebellion this year in Blackpool, really looking forward to that.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1464785522' post='3062479']
Given that playing live (especially with a name behind you) is pretty much the only avenue left to make money from original music, I expect remaining members of pretty much any band would keep going as long as possible whatever the lineup.

But yes it's a fair point... If a band contains no original members, it's pretty much a tribute of the original.
[/quote]

There are bands over here still making a living off of the one hit they had back in the 70s.

Blue