Why become a member? ×

Stingray Experts!

Funky Dunky

They have or have had loads of signature guitars, van halen, albet lee, steve morse, st vincent.

Apparently they just don't do signature basses (apart from the big al although that was a bit of a weird one as they used the the albert Lee shape, but I don't think there was any suggestion that he actually played one or was involved in the design).

Edited by Cato

One thing to note, I know for bassists it feels like they've moved over to more concentration on new guitars, but I bought an Albert Lee HH and it is one hell of a stunning guitar. I wanted a nice humbucker loaded guitar, but not Gibson, and I don't trust the Gibson QC for the price, so I opted for an EBMM. I would definitely buy another EBMM guitar without a doubt, just not one of the more shred type guitars.

I really like the St Vincent model and the new Stingray/Cutlass models.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1464944307' post='3063926']
He did....

[center][/center]
[/quote]
I looked for that but couldn't find it on the MM website, mind you it seemed all over the place (the St Whoever was described as a Steve Morse Y2K). Still, on that bass it was only the colour that was 'inspired' by TL. What about a 'Barbi' pink 5 string as per the OLP sig bass?

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1464942347' post='3063898']
Not quite what you're after....... but a lot cheaper. The SUB Ray4 in trans red;

[/quote]

It is gorgeous, I almost bought one of these but I had already fallen in love with the Trans Blue. The difference is that I like the Sub Ray, so I wanted to experience the daddy, and that colour with the contours on the body just blew me away.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1464965473' post='3064230']
Is this what you seek?

http://andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=1008
[/quote]

Nearly, but not quite. Look at how glossy and contoured the one is in the OP. I want that.

Edited by Funky Dunky

EBMM finishes are great - a quick polish and they will certainly produce a mirror finish - especially the darker coloured ones.

Talking of famous Musicman artists, it appears Timmy C has started to use Stingrays again - including a red one.

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-basses/62672-timmy-c-back-ray.html

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1464991587' post='3064580']
EBMM finishes are great - a quick polish and they will certainly produce a mirror finish - especially the darker coloured ones.

Talking of famous Musicman artists, it appears Timmy C has started to use Stingrays again - including a red one.

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-basses/62672-timmy-c-back-ray.html
[/quote]

Excellent. His sound on the first Rage album was stonking - really mean and aggressive. The intro to Take The Power Back still gets me every time.

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1464941838' post='3063891']
I think they're a weird company, tbh. Guitarists can have a signature model, but bassists cannot? And now they only offer basses in a choice of what is it four or five colours?

Pfff.
[/quote]

The story as I heard it was that Flea saw the amount that Chad was getting off the back of his signature drum models that he asked Sterling for a signature Stingray model.

Sterling didn't want to do that as it seemed disrespectful to the other artists that had already helped develop it & raise it's profile.

All the signature guitars tend to be borne of artists coming to them looking for something significantly different to their existing models. If it turns out to be something that might sell, they get a name check on the headstock. (And presumably some $$$ too?)

I grew up near the EBMM factory, they had to use guitarist models because for many years and years the EB guitars were not taking off. You would never see anyone playing one, I can't remember seeing anyone in California with a Silo. The EVH did little better, but ended after a short while, and again the guitars didnt take off until the Luke and then the JP came along. The bass models were a different story, an instant hit since the 70's and took no problem selling like hotcakes, they did not need any artist model to sell they were everywhere. When Flea saw Chad got his own drum model, Flea wanted the Ray renamed the Flea Bass...not a chance! He got madand left for good.
Back in the 80's and 90's I loved the Chili Peppers, and sure he recorded early on with a Cutlass StingRay when the band were still pretty obscure. But by the time they were popular Flea was already known for not using StingRays in the studio on all their big albums: on Mothers Milk it was a Spector, on Blood Sugar it was mostly a Wal, then he moved on to recording with an Alembic. Love the guy, but why would an existing popular bass be renamed and given to him?
And to bother doing it now is moot, he hasnt bothered using one in almost 20 years, and Kiedis is beyond his expiration date with lame lyrics and can't break his habit of using variations of the word 'California' over and over. Stick a fork in it, they're done!