Why become a member? ×

Adding a jazz pickup

sellisnba

I've searched for this topic but with no results.
I'm thinking about adding a jazz pickup to my p bass. I was just wondering if anyone had made this modification and what did they think?
I'd be looking also to add the extra pot to the pickguard rather than a jack added to the body.

Do it! I reckon it is a 'best of both' situation, works for me anyway.
Although my P-bass Lyte came that way as standard, its not that difficult
a job for a lot more tonal options, and does n't greatly detract from the original too much.
A MIM P-bass would be an ideal basis for it too.

Is your P Bass absolutely awesome in every way except for the fact that you think the sound would benefit from adding a J pickup?

If the answer is yes then it's probably worth doing. If not you are much better off looking for a bass which already has both P and J pickups fitted. There are plenty out there at every price point.

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1463735210' post='3053664']
I'm thinking about adding a jazz pickup to my p bass. I was just wondering if anyone had made this modification and what did they think?
I'd be looking also to add the extra pot to the pickguard rather than a jack added to the body.
[/quote]
Yep, done all that.

Did the sound improve? Marginally.
Was it worth the money? No.

Initially I'd replaced the weak Fender pickup with a Bartolini P which was an immense improvement. After a couple of years and coming into some cash I decided to go further. If the Barts were so good I'd I add a matching J pickup and active electrics.

Chandler guitars in Kew did the work and the fashioned a new scratch plate the lot. Very good work on their part, but. . . . the sound was different with the J but (IMO) not substantially better than what I had before.

If I could turn the clock back I'd just stay with the Bart P and not bother with the rest of the work I had done. In this case it wasn't money well spent.

My advice is to get the best set of P bass pickups you can find, then (staying passive) replace the current pots and resistor with better components and play them for a year before you change anything else.

As BRX says, plenty out there already with that config. I'd be tempted to pick one of those up first, really convince yourself you are getting something extra tonally for what you play before cutting into your No.1 bass. You can always sell on the 'test' instrument without much, or possibly any, loss. I've had 2 with this sort of config (a Squier and a USA P special) but they both became surplus to requirements and were moved on.

a simple upgrade of stock pickups will make a big change... definately worth thinking about doing that first. I've played a p/j and for me the tonal range is awesome... but I really dont think I'd slice up a decent P bass to add one in! haha.

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1463762696' post='3053944']
Thanks for the replies guys, after having a think I'll probably not bother. It just seems silly to chop up my bass.
It already has upgraded pickups in and does everything I need it to.
[/quote]
Wise move.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1463748023' post='3053805']
Yep, done all that.

Did the sound improve? Marginally.
Was it worth the money? No.

Initially I'd replaced the weak Fender pickup with a Bartolini P which was an immense improvement. After a couple of years and coming into some cash I decided to go further. If the Barts were so good I'd I add a matching J pickup and active electrics.

Chandler guitars in Kew did the work and the fashioned a new scratch plate the lot. Very good work on their part, but. . . . the sound was different with the J but (IMO) not substantially better than what I had before.

If I could turn the clock back I'd just stay with the Bart P and not bother with the rest of the work I had done. In this case it wasn't money well spent.

My advice is to get the best set of P bass pickups you can find, then (staying passive) replace the current pots and resistor with better components and play them for a year before you change anything else.
[/quote]
You're so right. I've come to the view that when both pups are "on" you can hear both, separately; not as one sound. So, where one pup sound crisp and clean. 2 sounds mushy.

Keep it as it is and experiment with pups. I've got a SD Quarter Pound set if you want to try them?

I'll go against the tide and say: do it.
But do it well, with a neat route.
Having the bridge pickup makes a Precision a much more versatile instrument. I'd consider a double J humbucker rather than a single J. In my opinion it balances better withe the P pickup. Or even an MM style pickup.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1463800757' post='3054177']
I'll go against the tide and say: do it.
But do it well, with a neat route.
Having the bridge pickup makes a Precision a much more versatile instrument. I'd consider a double J humbucker rather than a single J. In my opinion it balances better withe the P pickup. Or even an MM style pickup.
[/quote]
Having done it myself I agree totally

I`ve considered this with many of my Precisions but at the end of the day, having too much versatility on a bass makes me a "twiddler". Constantly changing sounds - so I stick with the one pickup/one sound, and just get on with it. Probably why I don`t get on well with either Jazzes or Stingrays I suppose.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1463826438' post='3054323']
I`ve considered this with many of my Precisions but at the end of the day, having too much versatility on a bass makes me a "twiddler". Constantly changing sounds - so I stick with the one pickup/one sound, and just get on with it. Probably why I don`t get on well with either Jazzes or Stingrays I suppose.
[/quote]

:lol: a twiddler.

There's something there! I generally feel more at home on a single pickup bass and it's partly because it keeps me from trying to change my sound too much through control adjustments and I just do what I need to with my technique. But I still like 2 pickup basses, I just have to control myself :P

I used to have a Warwick $$ Corvette. Two pickups, each with series/parallel/single coil switches, 3-band preamp... I moved to a Stingray after that with a simple 2-band EQ and one pickup and it was so relaxing :lol: