Why become a member? ×

New RHCP single

Chiliwailer

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1464334531' post='3058461']
Yes, it is and as Roland Rock says I also think it's a seriously underrated album. I wasn't expecting much from them after JF left the first time, but was seriously surprised by how great they sounded with Navarro. I do think he was a perfect fit for them. Obviously I was pleased when JF came back, but often wonder what goodness would have come from RHCP had he not and Navarro stayed.

JK certainly has the back catalogue down, but I'm yet to be convinced that he will contribute to original material with the force that others before him have. Maybe the whole band has run its course as far as that concerned? Probably early days still, so I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy for now.
[/quote]

+1, One Hot Minute is a magical album. Listened to it driving down the west coast. Amazing feel to the album, bring California into your head.

And yes with RCHP, it's not about the playing as much as the contribution to the whole, DN's role in One Hot Minute might have been coincidental, but it would be good to see what happened if he did find himself back in :)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1464336182' post='3058483']

You could "think" that if you had "appreciated" all rock bands live, but I doubt even in 63 years that you've managed to achieve that. You could also "think" (i.e. IYO) that they are the best live rock band that you have seen, which is probably what you mean, but without some sort of comparitive, the comment makes no sense.

Unless you've been living in a darkened hole outside the world of music for the last 30+ years, I find this unbelievable.
[/quote]

I've seen a lot including The Beatles, but certainly not all. Its only my opinion so I'm not sure it really matters.When I saw The Stones last year in a small Milwaukee venue they;

1.Looked fantastic

2.Loud as hell

3.Exciting, especially when Buddy Guy joined them for "Midnight Rambler"

4.Made mistakes

For me they're always fun. My only complaint is the new crowd they attract, boring rich people that know nothing about them but want to be able to say "I'm going to see The Stones "

I think with the Chilles,I know how popular they are and have hung on for a few decades. I think we all have those bands that don't click with you. Chilles never clicked with me. Neither did Bruce Springsteen and I'm a "Jersey Boy".

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1464482817' post='3059812']

Slightly OT but....

I don't see being as "loud as hell" as a plus. When I saw Black Sabbath they were as loud as Heaven AND Hell and it wasn't pleasant! Metallica on the other hand - perfect!

'4.Made mistakes" - Well, if you see that as a plus, you would appreciate the RHCP with their mistakes and improvisations; they're all the better for it live.

"Hung on for a few decades"? Another poor choice of words. They may not click with you, but they've been fairly successful over that period.

The Boss is the boss. That is all.
[/quote]

1. The mistakes asures me that they're still a real band and they make mistakes just like the rest of us.

2. Loud as hell, that's just a personal thing with me. I love loud rock and roll. Love hearing Ronnie and Keith pushing those tubes. Warm and loud.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1465533595' post='3069027']
And another...

[media]http://youtu.be/I7rlCyvHejY[/media]
[/quote]

This is more like it. sh*t chorus, but otherwise this is more what I want to hear from them.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1466366347' post='3075347']
The official video for Dark Necessities is out.
I really like it. Playing a pink stack knob Jazz whilst sitting in a sink wearing nothing but blue rubber gloves. Only Flea.
https://youtu.be/Q0oIoR9mLwc
[/quote]

That made me laugh too. and at 53 years old I love that he's still got that side to him.

Are you enjoying the album Warren?

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1466367739' post='3075361']

I listened to it in the car on the way to work this morning and it bounced back to Track 1 just as I arrived home this evening.
First impressions are that I enjoyed it more than I'm With You. If it is indeed the "new method" of recording instigated by Danger Mouse, it certainly does sound quite different to anything they have done before. I want to listen to it a couple more times with no other noise interfering so I can get a proper feel for it.
[/quote]

I'm enjoying the album, I've always loved hearing their evolution and I value that each album has its own character, 11 diverse albums and none that I'd ever tire of. The production is excellent too on this one, sounds great on headphones and I'm pleased that I preordered it on vinyl too, really works.

I saw an interview with Flea where he said Anthony overstretched that new method comment, just 5 of the 13 tunes were written in the studio apparently.

Looking forward to the B Sides, the I'm Beside You ones were awesome, like a lost album.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464314470' post='3058413']
You mean,you think The Stones are bloody awful live.

I've been going to their shows since 1972 and last saw them last year.

I think they're the best live rock band in the world. Key phrase. "I think" as in IMO.

I can't comment on the Chilles, I don't know enough about the band or their history.I can't name one of their songs.

Blue
[/quote]

I think you're maybe right, which is why people flock to see them every time they're on tour. I'm not personally a fan, have to say though.

The red hot chilis song sounds like a red hot chilis song, if you like them, then you'll like it. If like me you do, then you probably wont.

Realised I'd stopped being a fan when "By The Way" came out and largely disliked everything I've heard since but this was pretty good. The 4 chord chorus is wearing very thin but the instrumentation and playing elsewhere are different enough to past songs that I listened to the whole thing and enjoyed it. I'm not rushing out to buy the album but I'm not going to roll my eyes and dive for the power button when it comes on the radio.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1466366347' post='3075347']
The official video for Dark Necessities is out.
I really like it. Playing a pink stack knob Jazz whilst sitting in a sink wearing nothing but blue rubber gloves. Only Flea.
https://youtu.be/Q0oIoR9mLwc
[/quote]

Yeah good video ☺.
The new album is very good in my opinion. I actually bought the CD after hearing it.

Interesting recent interview with Flea if you're so inclined:
http://youtu.be/JznhtOIZ0TY

I got the album on Friday and waited until Saturday night to listen to it with my gf, by request.

Upon first listening I was a bit disappointed... but it was obvious after the first few songs that the disappointment came from wanting another 'classic' RHCP album from the 80s/90s, and that's just not where the band is at right now. However, once we 'ignored' it was RHCP... I actually liked it more the more I listened to it. There's nothing that sounds amazing to me, but there are a few pretty cool tracks and overall I like it a LOT better than 'I'm with you' which I thought was very disappointing except 3 tracks.

So... pretty happy with it. I just have to stop expecting another 'Blood Sugar Sex Magic', 'One Hot Minute' or even another 'Californication'...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1466409650' post='3075521']
I got the album on Friday and waited until Saturday night to listen to it with my gf, by request.

Upon first listening I was a bit disappointed... [/quote]

I saw them last week and was completely disappointed. They looked and sounded like a band going through the motions.

I had a listen yesterday and something stuck with me. I kept thinking that the tracks seemed to 'full' particularly in terms of bass. I couldnt focus upon anything in particular. I know this is a bit of a weird criticism but it just made it hard to really hook into any particular thing. I still enjoyed 'Dark Necessities' and 'Sick Love' as they seemed more focused but I generaly feel that most of the tracks ought to head somewhere (A La danny californias crazy ending) but never really had a payoff.
I know that you shouldnt compare a band to their past material but I was a little undewhelmed, especially as I really enjoyed I'm with you past 'look around'.
Wonder if anyone else has my trouble.

Edited by Gibbo9876