Why become a member? ×

Turning a band down.

bubinga5

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462274317' post='3041584']
You can put just about any word in front of metal and it's a genuine sub-genre...
[/quote]

You can actually put another word in front of the word in front of metal, and that is too!

http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1462274693' post='3041592']
You can actually put another word in front of the word in front of metal, and that is too!

[url="http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html"]http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html[/url]
[/quote]

Indeed... You can also pick a random word and put "core" after it.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1462264512' post='3041474']
I don't think living in Gloucestershire is any different to anywhere else in the country with perhaps the exception of London. It depends a lot where you are looking for bands and musicians in my opinion. I wasn't in a band when I moved to Cheltenham a few years ago, I found one band on a muso-finder style website, joined them and through that band (who consequently didn't play music I loved particularly) I have met so many brilliant musicians and been in 2-4 bands at any one point since, playing good variety of music

[b]Judging by a few posts you have made I guess your into funky/jazz/fusion kinds stuff, Incognito and Brand New Heavies etc? I LOVE music like this, but sadly I don't think there is much of market for it venues up and down the county. Some of he busiest working bands I know and have seen, play crowd pleasing stuff, big 'cheesy' tunes that you can either sing along to in pubs or dance to at weddings.[/b]

I play in a tribute band, a wedding pop covers band, and up until recently two soul bands. I cant say I am a massive soul fan but I learned to almost remove myself from what I was playing and I just get a buzz playing any kind of music well with good musicians to people who enjoy it.

I think it is just abut what you want from music, if you cant find a band playing what you want, try and put one together.
[/quote]

Maybe it is regional but the bands that get out of pubs round here tend to be blues/greasy funk bands doing stuff like Maceo, Meters, swampie stuff and long forgotten 70's funk.

In that respect a lot of the blues bands have been left behind altho there is always room for a classy blues band.
(The trick is being more that a one trick pony tho..??)

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1462273744' post='3041579']
Symphonic metal? Whatever next, lol.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462274213' post='3041583']
Yeah, it's a thing apparently...
[/quote]
It's been a thing for the last 15/20 years at least.
wouldn't knock it, some of it is pretty darn good

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1462278507' post='3041661']
It's been a thing for the last 15/20 years at least. Wouldn't knock it, some of it is pretty darn good
[/quote]

Me, knock an established sub-genre? Never! I'm into Melodic Metalcore, me.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1462273744' post='3041579']
Symphonic metal? Whatever next, lol.
[/quote]

This is who we've been compared to most, though neither they or us are strictly symphonic metal in the traditional sense :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmo06CrXP4M

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462274317' post='3041584'] You can put just about any word in front of metal and it's a genuine sub-genre... [/quote]

Precious Metal:

- "Daahling!! Mwaah! Mwaa!h "<air-kiss noises> "You were faabulous tonight. Gorgeous solo. That tone is just to die for! Looove the new axe by way, wherever did you find it?".
- "What this old thing? Oh I've had it for years. But I had it reliced by this wonderful little man I found....."

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1462260896' post='3041448']
That's cool when you're 25 but starts to wear a bit thin when you're in your 30s and trying to balance a gigging band with a full time job and maybe a family.
[/quote]

Everyone has to make their own lifestyle choices. There's no rules to say that you have to have a career and a family once you are in your 30s.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1462268331' post='3041513']
...the successful people in this industry aren't the ones who have had everything fall on their lap.
[/quote]

Very much this.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1462260896' post='3041448']
Cool when you're 25 but wears a bit thin when you're in your 30s and trying to balance a gigging band with a full time job and a family.
[/quote]

I'm doing that in my 50s. I'm gigging way more than I ever have done in four decades of playing and loving it. Er, mostly.
The only thing wearing thin is my hair. Boom-tish!

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1462281927' post='3041710']
Is that the 5 minute contradiction or the full half hour?
[/quote]

I just told you! No I didn't. And so on and so forth, etc...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1462279735' post='3041674']
I'm partial to a bit of alternative symphonic grindshoegazecore myself. Having trouble finding a band.
[/quote] Thats what we play and we are looking for a 4th bassist but everything is tuned down 5 octaves and we only play in f flat but not E !

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462281161' post='3041696']
I'm doing that in my 50s. I'm gigging way more than I ever have done in four decades of playing and loving it. Er, mostly.
The only thing wearing thin is my hair. Boom-tish!
[/quote]

Me too. The last time I was in a band as busy as the Terrortones was back in the early 80s, although I probably would have been gigging more in the intervening years if I'd been in bands that were more popular...

Where you are makes ALL the difference and informs you of some of the music you'll find. I used to live slap bang in the middle of Liverpool and Manchester and you couldn't throw a stone without hitting another musician.

Then Leeds which has a jazz college so there's TONS of musicians, and now I live in Cambridgeshire and there's..... frankly.... hardly a damn thing.

So yeah, it's far from "just London" but I suppose if you've never lived up near the Leeds/Liverpool belt you'd never know.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1462284184' post='3041738']
Where you are makes ALL the difference and informs you of some of the music you'll find. I used to live slap bang in the middle of Liverpool and Manchester and you couldn't throw a stone without hitting another musician.

Then Leeds which has a jazz college so there's TONS of musicians, and now I live in Cambridgeshire and there's..... frankly.... hardly a damn thing.

So yeah, it's far from "just London" but I suppose if you've never lived up near the Leeds/Liverpool belt you'd never know.
[/quote]
there are loads in cambridgeshrie.... most of them are either in bands, given up or lacking in certain skills or requirements