Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Big Twin. Do i take the plunge?

Ant_On_Bass

The difference between solo and in a band mix is the volume. Not all cabs sound the same at high volume as they do at low volume. So your nice sound at home or solo might be boomy on a gig, as an example, or your cab might not fill the stage very well making it harder for the band to hear your bass.

There are many other differences.

Frank.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1461826417' post='3037869']
Do you have an opinion, Karlfer?
[/quote]

Sorry stevie. I do.
Well. regarding your post I do (but others as well).

My reading of your post was that it had a lot of assumptions about what goes on in people's mind's.

Today I went to the Crematorium in Leeds to say goodbye to a friend from day 1 in primary school in Sept 63.

Perhaps that was rather on my mind when I was thinking is all this really about another plywood box that makes a noise. And that isn't exclusively aimed at your post, your's just happened to be in the firing line at the time.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1461868978' post='3038410']
The difference between solo and in a band mix is the volume. Not all cabs sound the same at high volume as they do at low volume. So your nice sound at home or solo might be boomy on a gig, as an example, or your cab might not fill the stage very well making it harder for the band to hear your bass.

There are many other differences.

Frank.
[/quote]

Or the difference between solo and band is that the solo'd sound might not be pleasant but it cuts.
I don't agree that this has to be the case.
I've done away with semi para amps which were great at notching....as well as GE's as I don't see the need.

I do recall a 'friend's band having massive problems with a room with a Warwick and a GK combo and he couldn't dial the
bass boom out for love or money. It ruined and took over their sound check

Our sound went straight up and was complete in around 15 mins.

Their bass player had to play thru the monitors and ditched his amp.

These are the things we should be working on as well as our scales, IMO.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1461869151' post='3038413']
Today I went to the Crematorium in Leeds to say goodbye to a friend from day 1 in primary school in Sept 63.

Perhaps that was rather on my mind when I was thinking is all this really about another plywood box that makes a noise.
[/quote]

And that sobering statement, my friend, puts all this squarely into perspective. Thank you Karl for a welcome reality check.

Edited by Paul S

JUK said
"I do recall a 'friend's band having massive problems with a room with a Warwick and a GK combo and he couldn't dial the

Their bass player had to play thru the monitors and ditched his amp."

JTUK, although I don't know you personally, I know from your posts that you know a lot about bass guitars, amps, PA and sound in general, so I know you're an expert in these matters.

What puzzles me from your post above is this - why did you not help your bass player friend to sort out his sound? Surely you could have done this in a few minutes. It seems to be so unlike your willingness to offer advice on basschat.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1462282924' post='3041723']
JUK said
"I do recall a 'friend's band having massive problems with a room with a Warwick and a GK combo and he couldn't dial the

Their bass player had to play thru the monitors and ditched his amp."

JTUK, although I don't know you personally, I know from your posts that you know a lot about bass guitars, amps, PA and sound in general, so I know you're an expert in these matters.

[b]What puzzles me from your post above is this - why did you not help your bass player friend to sort out his sound? Surely you could have done this in a few minutes. It seems to be so unlike your willingness to offer advice on basschat.[/b]

Frank.
[/quote]

Not that easy ... his problems started way before that gig. IMO.

His approach was a lot of bass, lots of mids, in order to get a useable sound. And I mean useable in terms of
not sounding bad AND being able to play the bass -the way he plays.

I'm thinking it was a problem that will always be close to the surface and he'd have a major rework of the way he plays.
I don't think the last point would be an option.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461490742' post='3034999']
Is anyone actually reading the specs and info on the 410? It[i] looks [/i]exactly like every other 410 (if a little smaller and lighter), but that's where the similarity ends.
[/quote]+1. There's a right way and a wrong way to make a 4x10, 6x10 or 8x10. Alex does it the right way. AFAIK at this point he's the only one who does. Personally I'd rather the superior dispersion characteristics of a vertically stacked pair of 2x10. But if the particular form factor of a 4x10 is what you want then it's the only 4x10 worth considering IMO.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1462285553' post='3041765']
+1. There's a right way and a wrong way to make a 4x10, 6x10 or 8x10. Alex does it the right way. AFAIK at this point he's the only one who does. Personally I'd rather the superior dispersion characteristics of a vertically stacked pair of 2x10. But if the particular form factor of a 4x10 is what you want then it's the only 4x10 worth considering IMO.
[/quote]

This should really be the final word.

It is for me :)

My thanks to Bill.

I bought a Super Twin, mainly because my back could no longer handle lugging my old Trace Elliott combo around, and it has just got better and better. IMHO, the best thing about this cab, is not that it sounds great, it's the fact that it cuts through guitars, drums and vocals with ease, once you get the amp settings right.
Once a year I get to play a gig with 'money no object' hire kit, and I get the Ampeg SVT / 8 X 10 rig - usually, this completely blows me away and makes me think about taking a 4th mortgage, but after playing the Super Twin for the last year, I came to the conclusion .... the BF ST is that good, it is better than the Ampeg 8 X 10 (and no, they weren't supplying free drugs as well).

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1462288492' post='3041800']
This should really be the final word. It is for me :)
My thanks to Bill.
[/quote]

+1. Mine too. What Bill and Alex between them don't know about cabs isn't worth knowing. In my opinion, of course. :biggrin: