Why become a member? ×

I think I've bought the wrong gear!

bigjimmyc

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1460646327' post='3027584']
This is, to me, the most likely thing.
If you just play through one cab and it sounds great, then adding in the 2nd cab messes up your sound, phase is yer man!
If this is the case, you just need to reverse the wires going to one cab - either do it in the cable, or better still go in and resolder the input socket the other way round.

Edit: Alex knows a bit about speakers! ;-)
[/quote]
[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1460637151' post='3027453']
If the 15" has been replaced, check the polarity matches with the polarity on the 4x8". Stick a 9V battery on the end of the speaker lead and all the cones should leap in the same direction. Those cabs shouldn't be too dissimilar in bass output to your previous ones. However, if your bass has quite a hot output and you pluck hard and your gain is up fairly high then I wouldn't be surprised by an amp distorting at 4/10, or you pushing so much power you overload the cabs.
[/quote]Got it. I will check that out. Thanks

[quote name='gillento' timestamp='1460646747' post='3027593']
Did you PUSH the Flat/Shape button?

A lot of first time ABM users are making the mistake of engaging the Shape by NOT pushing that button and producing a lot of low lows, losing all the definition and going very hard on the speakers.....
[/quote]To be clear, flat/shape is pushed IN. Cheers

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='bigjimmyc' timestamp='1460646529' post='3027587']
Nobody has suggested 18". And I don't see them offered by the main brands now. Surely some folks still use them?
[/quote]

Only ones I know of by trace elliot and eden, not sure if either still make them. 18 sized cabs are pretty much obsolete these days, even 15s are as much a fashion choice as anything else, 12's are where the action is because theres so much choice of drivers for makers to use and so much research been put into the drivers and cabs.

Edited by bassman7755

I used to use an ABM 300 with the mini 4x8 and 1x15 cabs. It was a loud rig and never farted out in a band with 2 loud guitarists. When I got the cabs the drivers in the 4x8 were seized up so I replaced them with some Celestions (I think) from Blue Aran.

I used to run one thru an ash down neo 1X15 classic and a Neo 2X10 compact and it would re arrange peoples internal organs in a small venue , enough to impress a heavy bub/reggae bass player so def look at the cabs, even the 1X15 on its own was fine, used to be plenty base enough and on heavy songs used to drop the sub in and you could see people flinch in a small room and that at anything up to 3/4 full volume

[quote name='Aldo' timestamp='1460738303' post='3028370']
I used to run one thru an ash down neo 1X15 classic and a Neo 2X10 compact and it would re arrange peoples internal organs in a small venue , enough to impress a heavy bub/reggae bass player so def look at the cabs, even the 1X15 on its own was fine, used to be plenty base enough and on heavy songs used to drop the sub in and you could see people flinch in a small room and that at anything up to 3/4 full volume
[/quote]

Seeing people flinch maybe just the thing I'm looking for!

I've read elsewhere on bass chat that the replacement 15" driver (Celestion BN15-400S) doesn't have much excursion. This could account for my missing bottom end at volume whilst sounding awesome at modest levels. Here's the question though: what do I replace it with? Original Ashdown drivers are still available from Ashdown!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1460636543' post='3027442']
That sub thingy on Ashdowns really can fudge up the sound. If it`s not off already, switch it off and go for regular bass for the lows.

As others have said though, it could be the cabs, a switch of un-matched speaker cones to the cabinets themselves is also unlikely to help.
[/quote]The sub thingy on any amp or effect will try to make a speaker do what it does no want to do. That is why good amps had e High Pass Filters and lots of Thumpinators, FDecks etc are sold.

[quote name='bigjimmyc' timestamp='1461051345' post='3030884']I've read elsewhere on bass chat that the replacement 15" driver (Celestion BN15-400S) doesn't have much excursion. This could account for my missing bottom end at volume whilst sounding awesome at modest levels. Here's the question though: what do I replace it with? Original Ashdown drivers are still available from Ashdown![/quote]

I'd be very surprised if the original driver had usefully more excursion than that Celestion.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1461062147' post='3031000']
Did the polarity check confirm everything is ok on that front?
[/quote]

Yeah - I forgot to check that until now. We can rule that out completely I'm afraid.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1461061461' post='3030991']
I'd be very surprised if the original driver had usefully more excursion than that Celestion.
[/quote]

Not wishing to seem obsessed by this driver, but I'd like to think that the cab worked better with it's original. If it doesn't, it'll probably be easier to shift with that than the replacement. I might risk it.

Cheers

I had exactly your rig with the stock drivers from new for a couple of years playing in a loud classic rock band no PA support. Never had an issue the cabs didn't sound great on there own but kicked Arse together. As other have said watch the sub as it suck power for not a lot of effect really also don't go ape with the low bass slider cut rather than boost. A decent compressor will help too. my shout would be replace the drivers with stock ashdown ones it will add resale and be better matched

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1461577601' post='3035720']
I had exactly your rig with the stock drivers from new for a couple of years playing in a loud classic rock band no PA support. Never had an issue the cabs didn't sound great on there own but kicked Arse together. As other have said watch the sub as it suck power for not a lot of effect really also don't go ape with the low bass slider cut rather than boost. A decent compressor will help too. my shout would be replace the drivers with stock ashdown ones it will add resale and be better matched
[/quote]Solid advice thanks

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1460654382' post='3027668']even 15s are as much a fashion choice as anything else, 12's are where the action is because theres so much choice of drivers for makers to use and so much research been put into the drivers and cabs.
[/quote]
Up until last year I used two lightweight 1x15s, but then changed to a single EBS neo 2x12 (mainly a logistical decision, plus fancied a change) and it has revolutionised my sound. No loss of bottom end but the clarity and punch are fantastic.

I think you have a decent amp choice in the ABM. Rolling off the low frequencies a bit and disengaging the sub can make a noticeable difference and give your cabs an easier gig without compromising volume/tone. Replacing the front end tube especially if you are buying a s/h ABM can sweeten up the overall sound and add a little natural compression. I dont have any experience of the cabs you mention but from my own experience with ABM's they should be able to give a big clean sound at very high volume. I personally use a single 15 speaker unit( a mesa diesel ) which handles my ABM with ease and it stays low, loud and clean. Something like a 4x10 might be your best all round option if you want a single cabinet solution for loud rock.

• 3 weeks later...

Appreciate all the input on this thread. However, probably time to put it to bed now.

I decided to flog the cabs and bought a BF 410. Very pleased with how this worked out - just much more handling from this cab.

I had the ABM serviced too, and it seems happier. For what it's worth, I suspect that it played up a bit due to standing on the cab at high volume. With it located elsewhere I had no trouble.

Cheers all.

• 2 months later...

lots of good advice above, I would first verify that the cabs are in phase with each other, do you gain low end when you unplug one cab? That's a quick way to check. I think you would be happier with the 1x15" (as long as it's a good speaker) than any 4x8. I personally use 15"s and find them to be quicker responding and punchier than 10's and especially 8's. Almost always better to use the same cab when using multiples unless you are bi- amping, of course.

[quote name='bigjimmyc' timestamp='1463940951' post='3055190']
I suspect that it played up a bit due to standing on the cab at high volume.
[/quote]

Since the days of my Mesa 400+, and some valve issues, I've put all my amps on foam blocks on top of the cab.

I've never had amp trouble since.

IMHO, get shot of the Ashdown. I had half a dozen different cabs over three or four years in a quest to find a sound and they all sounded lifeless and farty with my Mag evo II 300 with all different combination of settings. It might be me but a Peavey 4 X 10, a Hartke 2 X 15, an Ashdown 8 X 10 and an Ashdown 1 X 15 and 2 X 10 very rarely did anything to make me smile. I recently bought a Hartke 3500 and suddenly THERE'S the sound I wanted still using the Ashdown 1 X 15 deep and 2 X 10 deep. In fact the first time I used it live one of our regular crowd said out of the blue (without even knowing I'd changed amps) said it's the best we've ever sounded. I'm not knocking Ashdown by any means but I could never get any usable tone out of it in any venue with any cab.