Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky Modern, 24 fret, 5 string

Toasted

[quote name='Toasted' post='305417' date='Oct 13 2008, 12:43 PM']. . . on the plus side: [url="http://www.josephpurcell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rawbody2.jpg"]http://www.josephpurcell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rawbody2.jpg[/url]

Looks beautiful.[/quote]

nice one, looks like it's going to be pretty special :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='305372' date='Oct 13 2008, 11:06 AM']I went to pay for my bass on my credit card a week ago when the rate was 1.72 USD to GBP.

My bank held the payment (to protect me against fraud) and by the time they've managed to call me to tell me, to "approve" this transaction the rate's fallen to 1.68 and my bass is now costing me another £100. Thanks HSBC.[/quote]

OUCH!!

thats a pretty sh*t think that HSBC did there mate!!

i think i was very lucky that i bought mine in summer! i got 1.97 dollars for my pound!

it would have cost me loads more if i got it now! would have probably been out of my reach if im honest!

im hopefully going for a metro 5 string PJ in the new year!! cant wait!!!

:)

cant wait to see your bass when its finished mate

:huh:

• 2 months later...

How easily did you find Sadowsky? When I went, if I hadn't written down the exact address I'd have never found it, even then it wasn't until I saw the sign on the door to the workshop that I was sure I was in the right place!

Did you get to see any other Brooklyn luthiers - Fodera, Pelosi?

It was just a holiday with my folks and sister. We font get away that often :-).
I only went to see Sadowsky, and I only really went there since they're building me a bass. I had the exact street written down and even a little map printed, so it was pretty easy to find.

I was only there maybe 40 minutes, but it was very engaging and interesting. They're also all getting ready for NAMM, so it was good to see some of the amazing NAMM instruments being prepared.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Toasted,

Congratulations on your choice...I'm considering a Sadowsky. I bought one of their outboard preamp a month ago and it give a really rounded full bodied sound to my P-bass. Perfect for recording and and live gigs where you go direct into a PA

I've got some serious pangs going on. I put a deposit down on a Shuker in September last year and have had a kind of distant empty feeling ever since. I spoke to Jon last week and he's going to send me some pictures of the body this week. I'm so excited it feel like christmas when I was 5 years old :P ...but the anticipation is probably going to last for 4 more months ;)

I really can't wait....

Tiernan

[quote name='Toasted' post='378844' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:59 AM']I'm starting to get pangs. Anyone else with custom bass pangs?[/quote]

Me. I am a fellow sufferer of the custom bass pangs. :wacko:

I saw my bass in the middle of the lacquering process and it was unbelievably great.

[quote name='Toasted' post='378844' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:59 AM']I'm starting to get pangs. Anyone else with custom bass pangs?

Now I've actually visited it and held the body in my hands it's a "real" thing to me - not just a list of missing zero's in my bank account.[/quote]

I feel your pain buddy, the grooveshoppe silence continues...

That body looks wonderful, and I'm itching to see shots of when it's finished! Good call on the neck :P , love a bit of black/maple ;)

Just out of interest did you go direct with Sadowsky or via a shop? Cos interestingly it actually worked out cheaper for me to go via an intermediate than from the man itself :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Toasted' post='392616' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:15 PM']I look pretty much exactly like this guy at the moment ->

Just got to pay the balance, hope it comes quickly through customs and hope FedEx deliver it in one piece.[/quote]

once you pay the balance the guys at Sadowsky will get it ready to ship in no time Joe!

they give you a tracking number so you can watch where it is in the world!

once it reaches the UK you'll have to call up the people at FedEx and pay the customs charges, then the bass gets released!!

it was a pretty quick process for me! and everything worked out fine!

i hope it turns up this week for you man! if i were you i couldn't bare another weekend waiting!

oooh a final thought be prepared to let the bass settle for a bit, it may need a slight setup tweak here and there due to its stressful journey! ;)

cant wait to see pics!

or even better see it in the flesh someday soon!

good luck dude

:P