Why become a member? ×

Picks, how'dya hold em?

FinnDave

40 years plus as a finger player, recent injury from a (motor)bike accident means if I wanna keep gigging (and I do) that I have to use pick now. So, how do you hold the damn thing? I find it rotates and that makes life difficult. Hard enough getting used to up and down strokes. Gig in a coupla weeks, so need help soon!

With your hand like this

Place the plectrum as shown on your index finger

Lay the flat of your thumb over the top of the plectrum. This will help to stop the plectrum from spinning in your fingers. You'll also notice that I use a textured Planet Waves / D'Addario type for this reason too.

Different angle, you can see that I don't have too much of the pick sticking out - too much and you have less control over your picking. Think of it in the same way as trying to write with a pen but only holding the button end. Not as easy as getting close to the writing tip.

Different angle so you can see what I am doing!

Finally, I rest my hand quite close to the strings - It's the same position that I use to write with but instead of resting 'that' part of my hand on the table, it is at times laying over the strings - great for palm muting as well. In terms of accuracy, I find this position perfect for playing super fast with control over dynamics. Remember to not tense up at all, it's all about loosey-goosey, or you'll fatigue easily on long and fast songs. Locking up your wrist and forearm will also lead to problems with fluidity too!

I curl my forefinger closed in the position it would be in if making a fist. The first knuckle after the nail is adjacent to my thumb's knuckle. I hold the pick quite loosely and the heel of my palm is on the bridge of the bass. The picking movement is very limited allowing for fast notes.

cheers, guys, trouble is I now have limited movement and can't really make a fist (still not allowed to drive as can't grip wheel with on hand). I am trying with pick gripped between thumb and forefinger meeting in the same plane, and a little reinforcement from middle finger (but that's the one that's buggered). I like the sound of the pick, good attack and clarity of notes, but struggling to get the fluency I had with fingers.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1459971211' post='3021447']
cheers, guys, trouble is I now have limited movement and can't really make a fist (still not allowed to drive as can't grip wheel with on hand). I am trying with pick gripped between thumb and forefinger meeting in the same plane, and a little reinforcement from middle finger (but that's the one that's buggered). I like the sound of the pick, good attack and clarity of notes, but struggling to get the fluency I had with fingers.
[/quote]

You could try purchasing a Thumb Pick which may afford you a little more control as it clips on to your thumb, then you can use your fingers to support it rather than grip which maybe a problem if, as you say, your finger is giving you grief.

Here's one:

http://www.gak.co.uk/rs/pictures/tn1_100818.jpg

I've used them in the past, but when they are a bit long, I file them down with a nail file.

My Ashdown cabs have the velcroed fronts, the gap between the cab and grille makes an ideal pick holder.

The reason I have them to hand is because I'm lazy and instead of using the same technique I used to where I'd use a pick, switch to fingers and then back - keeping the pick in my palm...I now just throw them on the floor and get another when I need it.

I collect them all back up when I'm unhooking my pedals.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1459971563' post='3021453']
You could try purchasing a Thumb Pick which may afford you a little more control as it clips on to your thumb, then you can use your fingers to support it rather than grip which maybe a problem if, as you say, your finger is giving you grief.

Here's one:

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/rs/pictures/tn1_100818.jpg"]http://www.gak.co.uk.../tn1_100818.jpg[/url]

I've used them in the past, but when they are a bit long, I file them down with a nail file.
[/quote]

I'll look for thumb picks next time I go to town, cheers.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1459973234' post='3021487']
Its just practice. I'm quite a good pick player but dreadful at fingerstyle. Stick with it :D
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll keep trying. It gets a bit easier after a few songs, but it'll take a while till it feels 'right'.

I have the problem of the pick rotating when I play the mandolin - have sweaty hands, which makes it worse. The grip of death not the answer. If you drill a hole through the middle of the pick (use a countersink bit for a smooth edge to the hole), the skin to skin contact between the fingers is a big help. Try it (hold the pick with pliers to save your fingers when drilling).

I use these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jim-Dunlop-426P-60-Triangle-Player/dp/B00373GYW0/ref=sr_1_13?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1459979151&sr=1-13&keywords=Ultex+tri

Bigger than a guitar pick so easier to hold onto! I hold them as i would a pen, more or less.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1459977720' post='3021542']
I have the problem of the pick rotating when I play the mandolin - have sweaty hands, which makes it worse. The grip of death not the answer. If you drill a hole through the middle of the pick (use a countersink bit for a smooth edge to the hole), the skin to skin contact between the fingers is a big help. Try it (hold the pick with pliers to save your fingers when drilling).
[/quote]

Cheers, I'll give that a go in the morning.

Sorry to hear about the injury, FinnDave. I switch between pick and finger playing so hope this helps.

Try a small sharp pick like Jim Dunlop Stubby, intended for jazz guitar I think - eg 1.0mm Stubby - IME small picks rotate less and have less to get in the way ?
Grip lightly, when all is right it isn't nec to have a tense hand. Firm at the small point between index finger and thumb which grips. Shouldn't ever drop a pick IMO, can't remember the last time (probably will tomo !). Only thumb and index finger involved, no support from mid finger. Forearm resting top curve of bass above bridge can provide balance, bottom of hand on bridge or strings provides overtone/sustain control and muting, and string strike point affects tone of course. Lots of overtones with a pick........

Or maybe someone else's grip is like someone else's toothbrush - might look very nice but wouldn't want to use it ? ;)

HTH!

LD

Thanks LD, I'll drop into PMT on the Cowley Road when I am in town next week and try some different picks. I have to use my middle finger to help at the moment as I can't grip well with the index finger (smashed my wrist in a bike crash at Eynsham 4 months ago). I am using various picks but all are Gibson 351 shape.

Years ago I noticed that sometimes I would have picks rotating in my hand or drop them often st seemingly random gigs. A little while later I realised that this only happened if I watched my hands before going on stage.
A little sweat and oil from your skin really helps to grip better. Wash these away and you lose a lot of friction between your fingers and the pick.
I'll wash my hands if they're dirty after load-in or whatever but after that I'll leave them until after the show. Not the most hygienic approach but it helps.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1459971563' post='3021453']

Here's one:

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/rs/pictures/tn1_100818.jpg"]http://www.gak.co.uk.../tn1_100818.jpg[/url]

[/quote]

Thanks for that, I'll get a couple when I am in town next week.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1460020859' post='3021782']
Dave, you might find this interesting/useful. Scoll down to 'Dystonia Debilitation'.
[url="http://www.thehamsters.co.uk/interviews/bassist.php"]http://www.thehamste...ews/bassist.php[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for that, very interesting. I read the whole article. I found my quote of the week, probably the year in there as well:
[quote][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]I was literally breaking G strings by hanging on with my second and third finger".[/size][/font][/color][/quote]