Why become a member? ×

Picks, how'dya hold em?

FinnDave

I swear by these:

http://www.wegenpicks.com/

I play Django Reinhardt style guitar (gypsy jazz, if you will), and the pick is a key factor of that style. The machined grooves on the surface and thickness of the pick (3 mm) gives a grip that I've not found anywhere else and an amazing attack. They're pricey but of the four I've bought over the past ten years I still have two. One I gave to a guy in my "band", one I gave to a bassist called Sonny Thompson at a drunken jam in a hotel in Rome.

It's amazing what there is out there, I had no idea could be so much variety in picks. Thanks for the links, the common denominator seems to be that they are all much thicker than the things I'm using. I can feel another trip to the music shop coming on!

My first ever favourite pick was a normal Dunlop 1mm, but I stuck a round, rubber foot from the bottom of a telly to it, which made it about 4mm thick, and so much easier to hold. I played with that thing until there was no actual pick showing around the foot. That was before I discovered 3mm Stubbies.

I also had some picks with the hook side of velcro stuck to them. It was so I could attach them to a strip of the other side stuck to my bass, but it made them easier to grip, too.

I don't know if thicker picks would be easier for you to hold or not but, if it would, you can still use standard picks but adapt them like I did.

I have been experimenting with thickening them up with blue tack, this not as messy as it sounds, and has the advantage of moulding itself to my thumb and finger as well making it less likely to fall if my grip fails for a moment.

Tightly 😊.

I never use one, but had to at uni a couple of years ago. Mid song it flew out of my fingers and landed at the feet of my tutor who was sat in the front row, he calmly bent down, picked it up and gave it back to me. Needless to say I didn't pass that particular one.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1460560853' post='3026832']
There are also rubber picks called Wedgies that have an almost fingerstyle sound to them...

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Musical-Instruments-Wedgie-Rubber-Pick-Pack-3-1mm/dp/B0002Z2CZY"]http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/B0002Z2CZY[/url]
[/quote]

After playing finger style for so many years, I really like the bit and clarity of a pick, I'm just not used to using one!

I hold mine like the attachment. My hand is pressed where the strings and bridge meet, and just use the wrist motion to pluck, gives a nice thuddy muting effect. I sometimes take my hand off the strings for more twang, but use my fingers more

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1460558301' post='3026799']
I have been experimenting with thickening them up with blue tack, this not as messy as it sounds, and has the advantage of moulding itself to my thumb and finger as well making it less likely to fall if my grip fails for a moment.
[/quote]

I like the sound of this. Silicon mastic/gel might do this, too, although I always get in a heck of a mess when I use that.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1460558301' post='3026799']
[/quote]

It's what [url="https://sugru.com/"]Sugru[/url] was invented for...

I am now experimenting with different thickness picks, and as I can't get to a music shop right now using a pick punch to make them out of old credit cards (though the ease with which I was able to buy a new Fender last week suggests I might be better off using my current credit cards as picks!) and then gluing them them together. A single pick, as I have used for the last 2 or 3 weeks now, is about 0.7mm thick, so I stuck a couple together, and it felt better, then I added two 'top halves' to thinking the area I grip up to nearly 3mm, and it does feel better. I am now making one with three central laminations and a grip thickener on each side, which will be over 3.5mm, and I'll try them out at rehearsal tonight. That is, if I can unglue my fingers.

At least I will have some idea of what to look for next time I am able to get into town.

I really like Dunlop Primetones. I switched to them from Stubbies because I prefer the material. They come in a range of shapes and upto 5mm thick. The pattern on them makes them less slippy than Stubbies.

I get a lovely tone from them and because of the way the tip tapers, I find them very versatile.

They're not cheap, though, but they do last a long time.

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/search/dunlop-primetone

Edited by KingBollock

It's been suggested (by my lawyer, not by my band!) that it might be beneficial to get some advice from a bass tutor about pick playing. Anyone know of one who is knowledgeable about using a pick, as that is really all I need, preferably not too far from West Oxfordshire? Especially useful if they have some experience of dealing with someone with a damaged right hand (and a lifetime of bad habits!).

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1460648431' post='3027616']
I'm no pick player - but I find these dead easy and it doesn't matter if they spin. If I want to try a bit of pick action then they do the job.

They are round with a whole in the middle - Plectr'o -

[url="http://www.reidys.com/pr/guitar-accessories/rhm-plectr-o-sample-pack-1532/"]http://www.reidys.co...mple-pack-1532/[/url]
[/quote]

Interesting, I wonder if they got the idea after trying to play with a half-sucked polo mint by mistake?

FinnDave, here's a closeup of my grip while playing. You can see the 2nd finger is not involved at all and the grip is pretty relaxed. Thought this might suit or help? You can't see the pick because it's a stubby, it's small and maybe only 1/8" sticks out, the pointy bit. HTH!

LD

Cheers, LD, I used a thicker pick that I laminated from 2 whole ones with two halves added to makes the grip area thicker, which worked quite well. I can't bend my finger as far as you can in your picture because of my injuries.

Played an hour straight through with the band last night, and then another 20 mins plus after a break, but my hand was not happy afterwards! I think next weeks gig will need to be a strict 2 x 45 min sets.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1460586528' post='3027156']

Now that does look useful, and affordable!
[/quote]
I think finding a pick you like the sound of and modifying it, is your best bet. And Tauzero's Sugru idea is brilliant.

Being able to make a pick as thick as you like and also have the grip moulded to the shape of your finger and thumb, has got to be the way to go. I'm tempted to try it myself, I've been meaning to get some Sugru for ages.

You don't have to buy it online, craft shops and even Maplins sell it.

There are also epoxy putties such as Games Workshop's Green Stuff, that can be had from model shops.