Why become a member? ×

Reef played my local pub last night (yes, really)

police squad

and they were awesome. Jack Bessant on bass. Late 70s P bass with a Mesa 400 watt head into an ampeg 8x10. oh my!!
It was packed in there and for the first time since I was a kid, I got down the front early (and I mean, the front). Lasted about 25 minutes, it was too hot.
What a band, if you haven't seen them, just do it.

Good show Wiz...

Was talking about all the bands that used to get down the Leas...
And a lot of pubs round here that take their music bill VERY seriously are
talking about upping their game in terms of acts they can book/attract..AND
afford to pay.

So, good to hear.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1459155150' post='3013803']
and they were awesome. Jack Bessant on bass. Late 70s P bass with a Mesa 400 watt head into an ampeg 8x10. oh my!!
It was packed in there and for the first time since I was a kid, I got down the front early (and I mean, the front). Lasted about 25 minutes, it was too hot.
What a band, if you haven't seen them, just do it.
[/quote]

What a great story. :) Always liked Reef!

I was 18 when Replenish came out and it was near life-changing. This was the band I'd been looking for, killer riffs, grooves, Gary Stringer's awesome, soulful vocals...and that album had an awesome vibe. Gary's vocals changed and became a bit more West Country and a bit less soulful after the first album and they were never quite the same for me after that. Seen them live about a dozen times and they are easily one of the best live bands I've seen. Sadly Kenwyn House has gone and been replaced by a different axeman, but big Jack holds the groove nicely. There might still be a video on YouTube of them performing Good Feeling on The Word, about 20 years ago, and Jack's rocking a sweet Stingray.

Brilliant band, who sadly had their cred somewhat damaged, unfairly, by It's Your bleedin' Letters. (They HATED that - Chris Evans said it was only going to be used once, and proceeded to use it every week for about two years, much to the band's dismay).

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1459163316' post='3013943']
I was 18 when Replenish came out and it was near life-changing. This was the band I'd been looking for, killer riffs, grooves, Gary Stringer's awesome, soulful vocals...and that album had an awesome vibe. Gary's vocals changed and became a bit more West Country and a bit less soulful after the first album and they were never quite the same for me after that. Seen them live about a dozen times and they are easily one of the best live bands I've seen. Sadly Kenwyn House has gone and been replaced by a different axeman, but big Jack holds the groove nicely. There might still be a video on YouTube of them performing Good Feeling on The Word, about 20 years ago, and Jack's rocking a sweet Stingray.

Brilliant band, who sadly had their cred somewhat damaged, unfairly, by It's Your bleedin' Letters. (They HATED that - Chris Evans said it was only going to be used once, and proceeded to use it every week for about two years, much to the band's dismay).
[/quote]

Replenish is an incredible album, and yes Reef were a different band altogether back then. Far better when they played in Drop-D tuning as most of that album is!

I followed them for a while, being from t'westcountry and all. Didn't really like Glow although there are a couple cool tracks on it, Rides was better in my opinion. Getaway kinda felt like Glow all over again.

I really rated Ken House as a guitarist as well, great chops. Their new guitarist is Ronnie Wood's son.

Always loved them - great band. I think I might just have to put Replenish on when I get home. I saw them as a teenager in the Oxford St HMV and lined up afterwards to get albums signed. I remember the satisfaction and inspiration of realising how normal and gracious they were, especially in the face of a star-struck, overly-keen teenager.

Kenwyn is a monster player with an unreal ability to churn out unforgettable riffs. Replenish though - from that backwards guitar intro on Feed Me, I was hooked. Still easily one my top 5 favourite albums and I can't see it being ousted anytime soon. I liked Glow, but felt it all started to taper off thereafter, some standout tracks here and there but Replenish is one of the best debut albums I've heard, conjuring the spirit of Led Zep and fusing it with their own raw magic.

I sold Reef a set of Moog Taurus Bass Pedals a few years back and it was funny watching the bass player trying to play them on the TFI friday the following week. he had no clue, he is a big gangly guy and he had no co ordination.

I'm a bit of a Reef nut to be honest, I must've easily seen them about 25 times over the years, good for you for seeing them in such an intimate venue.

I managed to see them at UEA and loved it, sadly I've been busy with work so I've not been able to make it to any other gigs on the tour.

They're playing the Jimmy's Farm festival in my home town of Ipswich later this year so I'll be looking forward to that.

If I remember rightly Jack was in Bassist magazine many years ago and a couple of things stick in my mind, him talking about using a Rat pedal on summers in bloom, using a Korg G5 bass synth for a bit early on, and that he did go to Basstech for a while. I'm not sure if it was a full time course, more for a few lessons.
I even managed to make an appearence in the Superhero video as it was filmed in Perivale just down the road from where I worked and my boss heard on XFM that they were asking for extras. He pretty much said "what are you still doing here? Off you pop!".
Glow has been my outstanding favourite album, Replensish is a fantastic album with Naked & Good feeling being incredible tracks but I just really love the whole feel of Glow.

I should've left you's vibe is outstanding and Summer's in Bloom is simply mental live.

Jesse, as well as being Ronnie Wood's son is also Mr Fearne Cotton. When they ended up standing next to me where I was working at a gig last year I was more impressed by him being next to me than her (obviously)!

Another great bit of trivia is that Good Feeling's video is shot on the surfing beach in Cornwall where I had my family holidays every year when I was growing up, and where I now take my family every year... Happy days.