Why become a member? ×

Out of control 'Lead' Guitarists vs Out of control Saxophonists

julesb

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1459353063' post='3015723']
...keyboard players can be cured by chopping off the fingers of their the left hand
[/quote]

That's seems overly cruel to me... surely it would be kindest to suffocate them with a carrier bag then fling them into a swamp?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459354811' post='3015746']
That's seems overly cruel to me... surely it would be kindest to suffocate them with a carrier bag then fling them into a swamp?
[/quote]

You forgot to attach large rocks to the aforementioned target!

We'd a keys player for a while who was so busy with right and left hand that it was truly disturbing. No amount of polite coaxing, and we tried all manner of helpful suggestions, could alter him from his zealous hand spasms. Sacked him.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1459356474' post='3015775']
You forgot to attach large rocks to the aforementioned target!

We'd a keys player for a while who was so busy with right and left hand that it was truly disturbing. No amount of polite coaxing, and we tried all manner of helpful suggestions, could alter him from his zealous hand spasms. Sacked him.
[/quote]

I meant quicksand..! I have a real problem with keys players and have had for decades. I know there are good ones out there, it's just that for whatever reason I've never managed to work with any of 'em. In my experience it's best to not go through all the stress and grief and avoid them completely. I won't join a band with keys, regardless of how good they otherwise are, it's just not worth it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1459353063' post='3015723']
the problem with Sax players (and Harmonica players) they don't know what to do when they're not playing, so they don't shut up,
[/quote]

Coltrane was one chatting to Miles about his (Coltrane's) extended solos and how he found it hard to bring them to an end.. To which Miles responded.."try taking the god damn horn out o' ya mouth.."!! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459356637' post='3015779']
I meant quicksand..! I have a real problem with keys players and have had for decades. I know there are good ones out there, it's just that for whatever reason I've never managed to work with any of 'em. In my experience it's best to not go through all the stress and grief and avoid them completely. I won't join a band with keys, regardless of how good they otherwise are, it's just not worth it.
[/quote]

I can think of one (1) keyboard player I've worked with that didn't overdo it with the left hand. Come to think of it, that works euphemistically too!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1459361236' post='3015848']
I can think of one (1) keyboard player I've worked with that didn't overdo it with the left hand. Come to think of it, that works euphemistically too!
[/quote]

Maybe that's why most keys players seem to be deaf...

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1459110188' post='3013641']
I'll see your out of control saxophonist and raise you an out of control Harmonica player :)
[/quote]

If yours does that godammawful train whistle lick every time there's a two-second break, I know what you mean.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1459503411' post='3017125']
Went to a jam session last night and there were THREE saxophonists there queuing up to play all over someone else's solo or step in at a particularly inappropriate moment. They didn't disappoint ;)
[/quote]

Blimey!

So after reading all the replies it looks like my next wanted Ad will end with 'No guitarists or Sax players need apply. One armed keyboard players (right hand in tact) welcome. :D

I'll see your out of control guitarists and saxophone players and raise you out of control drummers.

I know that noise problems mean that it's not easy for them to practice between rehearsals, but IMO these simply no need to bash away at your kit while the rest of the band are trying to sort out the arrangement - especially if what you are "playing" has no relevance to the songs being rehearsed.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1459506297' post='3017173']
I'll see your out of control guitarists and saxophone players and raise you out of control drummers.

I know that noise problems mean that it's not easy for them to practice between rehearsals, but IMO these simply no need to bash away at your kit while the rest of the band are trying to sort out the arrangement - especially if what you are "playing" has no relevance to the songs being rehearsed.
[/quote]I feel your pain

Went to a jam session last night and there were THREE saxophonists there queuing up to play all over someone else's solo or step in at a particularly inappropriate moment. They didn't disappoint ;)
[/quote]

Yowza! You stayed until the end of the 2nd?!?

[/quote]

He's not exaggerating. I was there! :-)

After you left Kev, there were 3 guitarist up widdling all over each other. So to speakl. Wot with them and the saxes, it was a real clash of the titans.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1459509754' post='3017222']
He's not exaggerating. I was there! :-)

After you left Kev, there were 3 guitarist up widdling all over each other. So to speakl. Wot with them and the saxes, it was a real clash of the tit[s]an[/s]s.
[/quote]
fixed

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459356637' post='3015779']
... I have a real problem with keys players and have had for decades ...
[/quote]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1459361236' post='3015848']
I can think of one (1) keyboard player I've worked with that didn't overdo it with the left hand.
[/quote]

I play with a pianist. He also plays bass in another band and so he understands the issue. When playing together we have certain general rules:

(1) If I am playing a riff or arpeggio of some kind, then the piano left hand plays a chord or a single note or an exact unison with the bass without variation.

(2) If I am playing in a lower octave, then the piano left hand goes up an octave - and sometimes vice versa.

(3) Bass fills are my responsibility, so, in relation to fills the pianist has to have an agreement with the guitarist (which is not a problem).

(4) It's accepted that a left hand in the bass register piano part is not required at every moment in every song.