Why become a member? ×

Why I like a versatile bass

keefbaker

I suppose as I've recently bought/ordered a few versatile basses I've noticed a certain resistance from certain members to this kind of bass, so I thought I'd explain my personal reasoning behind it.

First of all I'd like to say I totally get the "I only use Precisions" or "I only use Stingrays" thing. You pick up a bass and you know how it'll respond to your hands, and what tone will come out, only differences being the quality of tone and neck. And maybe you're at that point in your journey where you've found your "promised land". But I'm not there and, in fact, I'm not convinced there even is a "promised land" bass to me.

So let's take the good old P bass. P Basses are great. I always try and aim for having a P style sound available on any bass I own. To me P basses are like sausages. I love sausages, and there are herby sausages, spicy sausages, crazy out there sausages and just... Sausages are ace, ok? But sometimes I don't want to eat sausages, sometimes I want a steak dinner and that's where the stingray style sound comes in, a good, deep, satisfying steak dinner with all the trimmings. But occasionally I feel like a dessert, a sweet treat like a jazz bridge pickup.

So, putting the food analogy aside, I like a lot of music, and I play a lot of different stles of music, sometimes at the same gig, or sometimes in a recording session and different basses suit different styles. For example I love that old P bass sound but I wouldn't use that if I was recording technical death metal and neither would I use an active stingray sound for some rootsy rock.

"Yeah, but.." I hear you say... "you could just take x basses with you". Yeah, well I don't want to have to do any of the following
1) take WAAAY more gear with me
2) slow up the rest of the band by switching basses
3) end up with an out of tune string because I forgot to tune the D on basss #4

No, I'd rather flick a switch, turn a knob and I'm ready to go on the bass that's already round my neck.

So there you go... It's not for everyone, but it's totally for me.

We are all different of course and what's versatile to me is quite likely not versatile to others. A case being the P bass, I happen to think it is very versatile. With a tweak of the volume and tone controls on the bass, or maybe an adjustment on the amps eq. it gives all the versatility I need for Rock, Soul, Disco/Dance, Country, Pop, Indie etc.

Alright I have never tried it for Metal :)

Don't forget to take into account the universal constant - 'During any given performance the number of people who give a monkeys what the bass sounds like is 1.'

I think it may have been Einstein who said that, but I might also be very wrong,

I agree entirely with you, keefbaker - although it's great to have basses that have signature sounds (and I have owned many of these over the years) I am more inclined to go for versatile instruments these days, for precisely the reasons you suggest.

There is one other [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]"Yeah, but.." that often gets aired in response to your view, and which I'm expecting to turn up in this thread at some point - this is the old "It's all in your fingers" line. Which is rubbish, of course - there is no way you can get a jazz bridge pickup sound out of a P bass just by using your fingers; no matter how close you play to the bridge, it will still sound more like a P than a J. [/color][/font]

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1458818292' post='3011136']
Don't forget to take into account the universal constant - 'During any given performance the number of people who give a monkeys what the bass sounds like is 1.'

I think it may have been Einstein who said that, but I might also be very wrong,
[/quote]
This is also very true. We bassists obsess about tone, but almost nobody else can hear any difference between bass x and bass y (or amp x and amp y) at all! The rest of my family and my bandmates are utterly bemused by the idea that I would ever need more than one bass - after all, they all sound the same, don't they? :lol:

I also like a versatile bass and i've been using them for a lot of years. With my current bass i can go form Jazz to Modern to Precision just rotating the balance knob and adjusting right hand position. If i add a little EQ boosting a tad the lows and cutting slightly on the mids i can get away with a Stingray(ish) sound.

I like having a versatile bass because i play in a covers band and in our set we have songs from reggae to funk to rock and i use diferent settings for each type of music, i could get away with a Jazz but never with a Precision as i need the brige pickup for tone in a lot of songs.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1458818792' post='3011145']
This is also very true. We bassists obsess about tone, but almost nobody else can hear any difference between bass x and bass y (or amp x and amp y) at all! The rest of my family and my bandmates are utterly bemused by the idea that I would ever need more than one bass - after all, they all sound the same, don't they? :lol:
[/quote]

Off Topic:

Naa. There are a lot of people that notice the bass. I get complimented a lot for my tone... well not my tone really, they don't notice the tone itself, its more that "my sound" is more flat(ish) and has mids so it cuts through like a hot knife in butter and people (and other band members) can actually hear my notes and understand the lines i'm playing so they end up noticing the bass.
When someone uses the standard Precision through Ampeg with a "V" EQ the bass is more "felt" rather than "percieved" by the audience. Nothing wrong with this, just diferent takes on the same thing.

/Off Topic

We bassists obsess about tone
[/quote]

Speak for yourself ;) I take whichever bass I like the look of that night. I'm not saying all basses sound alike, but all my basses sound "good" as far as my definition of "good" goes so it doesn't really matter which one I pick.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458816973' post='3011117']
I suppose as I've recently bought/ordered a few versatile basses I've noticed a certain resistance from certain members to this kind of bass, so I thought I'd explain my personal reasoning behind it.[/quote]

Why should you feel the need to justify a purchase ? :blink: ;)

[/quote]

True - but lay people don't expect a surgeon to only use one type of knife or scalpel do they? Not that I'm comparing the job of a bass player to that of a surgeon, but you could stretch the analogy to cover plumbers, joiners, electricians or tradespeople of your own choice. They have different tools to do different tasks - even though we (as non-experts) may not understand the difference.

If you are happy with your own gear choices, you are more likely to enjoy playing. This means you are more likely to play well and look like you are enjoying yourself - and these are things that punters DO pick up on! :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458821668' post='3011205']
True. I guess it's just made me think about it because I was really surprised by some of the reactions.
[/quote]

Peoples reactions to things on here used to surprise me too. You get used to it.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458821668' post='3011205']
True. I guess it's just made me think about it because I was really surprised by some of the reactions.
[/quote]

This is the Internet. You are always going to be surprised by the reactions of others. If YOU like a certain bass, then that's the one for you.

Best of luck with your new "toy". :)

My Dingwall is ultra versatile. I remember playing with a very oldtime group whose preferences ossified in the 70s. The guitarist asked if you could get an more 'classic' tone. Click to passive and neck pickup. Perfect. He looked somewhere between pleased and irritated!

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1458823032' post='3011230']
My Dingwall is ultra versatile. I remember playing with a very oldtime group whose preferences ossified in the 70s. The guitarist asked if you could get an more 'classic' tone. Click to passive and neck pickup. Perfect. He looked somewhere between pleased and irritated!
[/quote]

A Dinger is on my list at some point. I should actually write this list down of stuff i'd like to own.

Besides, everyone knows that P-basses really are the most versatile. When sitting down, simply flip them over for a handy writing or impromptu work surface. The offset bouts of a J can be unstable, and the centre section of a Thunderbird and the curve of a hollow-body rule this out altogether. Leo really thought about these things, y'know.

It's funny how we talk about versatile, does that actually mean "does not sound like a Precision" My active basses have a wide range of sounds but never sound like a Precision.....Our guitarist / singer moans if I use anything other a precision through the Mark Bass rig for every gig even if a house amp is available...he says the songs are written around that bass sound....I think he is lying and just wants to see me carrying gear in and out but I know where he is coming from.

Basses for metal, most players of that genre seem to use active basses I wonder if it is the tight compressed sound of an active bass that is needed to fit into the mix?

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1458843002' post='3011518']
Basses for metal, most players of that genre seem to use active basses I wonder if it is the tight compressed sound of an active bass that is needed to fit into the mix?
[/quote]

I think it's more because precisions have a very defined low mid "hump" that a lot of metal guitars like to sit in so the bigger pole pieces and active electronics carry more top and low low for that "scooped" sound.

I can't think of a genre where a Jazz, P or Stingray hasn't been used at a high profile live gig level? I have heard some great country bands using a Stingray right through to gospel and artists like Beyonce, funk, blues, rock, metal, fretted and fretless etc.

It's all in the fingers but if you enjoy toys then that's what matters.