Why become a member? ×

Surprisingly good bass guitars

Twincam

I know it`s a bit of hot topic the now but my HB PB 50 is really good. I have used it in the studio and when practicing through the Zoom B1 with headphones and it does the biz.

I`m sitting here looking at my Nate Mendel P and thinking that for my uses at the moment, the HB would do the job.

I'm in good company here :) A few of my beloved Peaveys getting a mention, Bass Collection & Retrovibe also getting a shout too.

@jezzaboy

Had my PB-50 couple of year now and still think it's a great bass,plenty basses been neglected since it came along ;)

I'll chip in with the Cort Curbow. Heard daft things before I got mine, " Luthite smells funny"?? , " it's uncomfortable playing seated". Never found either to be the case.
Crackin wee bass,very easy to play. Mind you I don't go about " Sniffin the Base " :D

I have found my Farida FJB-20 to be top draw in terms of quality, sound and playability. Is a little on the heavy side but sits nicely with a good wide leather strap. I also have the Farida Precision FPB-18 which is a match for anything in its price range and has one of the slimmest necks I have come across.

On the 'no one has a bad word to say about Yamaha basses' topic, my BB414 has high frets in the 13-16 area meaning I can't get the action much below 3mm at the 12th, a distinct dead spot at the 5th fret on the g-string, I've had to replace the crappy input jack, and the tone pot needs done too. The J-pickup tone leaves a lot to be desired, and the P/J setup is such that you can either have a usable J or a usable P+J tone, but not both. I paid 250 new for it, and given the amount of praise I'd read for them on here and the other place, if anything, it was surprisingly un-good. Thankfully it does have some redeeming features, and at second-hand prices I would say they are a great buy.

The most surprisingly good bass I played was the Westfield P bass I bought before. It feels a bit agricultural in the hand, but the tone is great. Worth about 50 quid tops, and realistically speaking it's more than adequate for my modest needs.