Why become a member? ×

Listening to music loudly

Truckstop

The other day I had an opportunity to rig up my full PA in an empty building and listen to a few albums really f***in loud.

There's something therapeutic about listening to music at high volumes, especially if you know that there's no-one else there and you're not bothering anyone. You can really get lost in the music and you can understand how music works at those sorts of levels. You can't really get that kind of connection through headphones.

I had the subs going and I could feel the bassdrum pounding in my chest and the bass was shaking the room! Felt amazing and I'm really glad that I had the chance to have a listen to some great music. Highlight was listening to the amazing new album from Waking Aida.

Back in the early 80's I got a job as DJ in a purpose built club with a state of the art Martin rig installed. Although the gig did not commence until 11pm, I used to get there for 8pm and play my Sabbath,Zep, Purple etc. LP's at huge volume and stand in the middle of the floor. I know where you are coming from

I long for the chance to listen at sane volume levels, we average around 135db at practice (I always wear earplugs). No wonder the others are always moaning "My ears are ringing"... Hardly surprising seeing as you insist on playing at that volume lads...... 😒

[quote name='doomed' timestamp='1456472535' post='2989291']
I long for the chance to listen at sane volume levels, we average around 135db at practice (I always wear earplugs). No wonder the others are always moaning "My ears are ringing"... Hardly surprising seeing as you insist on playing at that volume lads......
[/quote]

That's just plain stupid. Why ?

Good for you wearing earplugs though.

Loud music, and playing loud is one of my pet hates.

Various 'scientific' guitarist reasons... 😉, admittedly the genre demands volume but it's hard work sometimes, a few weeks ago I thought we'd finished one night and took a plug out, "Let's just do that new one again..." says he, which we did, I can truthfully state I wouldn't stay to watch us in our normal type venue without good plugs.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1456495500' post='2989637']
That's just plain stupid. Why ?

Good for you wearing earplugs though.

Loud music, and playing loud is one of my pet hates.
[/quote]

There's a band that occasionally rehearses in the studio next door to us, who play so loud we can hear them quite clearly through the soundproofed wall. It's not a problem when we're also playing, but there have been some evenings when they've been loud enough to disrupt our conversations between songs.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1456496609' post='2989655']

There's a band that occasionally rehearses in the studio next door to us, who play so loud we can hear them quite clearly through the soundproofed wall. It's not a problem when we're also playing, but there have been some evenings when they've been loud enough to disrupt our conversations between songs.
[/quote]

I've had that happen too, except they weren't next door, they were actually in the next studio but one. The band that was next door had given in and left.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1456496924' post='2989664']
I've had that happen too, except they weren't next door, they were actually in the next studio but one. The band that was next door had given in and left.
[/quote]

I've also noticed that the bands that do this tend to play the most generic dull bollocks imaginable that nobody would want to listen to at any volume.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1456441259' post='2989184']
There's something therapeutic about listening to music at high volumes, especially if you know that there's no-one else there and you're not bothering anyone. You can really get lost in the music and you can understand how music works at those sorts of levels.
[/quote]

Therapeutic !!!!!?????..... :blink: You are entitled to your opinion, but I just dont understand this concept. Perhaps I just have a special gift, but I can "understand" and enjoy music perfectly, when played at low volume.

I can totally understand the desire to listen to music loudly; it stirs up primeval emotions and is a powerful experience. But there is the need (at least in my case) to balance that against hearing damage. One of the few sensible things I ever did was use hearing protection at the start of my bass playing career (1974) to this day, so I have the hearing of a sixteen-year-old. Not always an advantage (!) but all things considered I'd really rather not be deaf like the majority of my contemporaries. :)

[quote name='doomed' timestamp='1456496238' post='2989648']
Various 'scientific' guitarist reasons... 😉, admittedly the genre demands volume but it's hard work sometimes, a few weeks ago I thought we'd finished one night and took a plug out, "Let's just do that new one again..." says he, which we did, I can truthfully state I wouldn't stay to watch us in our normal type venue without good plugs.
[/quote]
Same here, that happened at our last gig, if I was in a pub and we were playing, I'd leave. Lots of people don't though..!!!!!

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1456498543' post='2989690']

Therapeutic !!!!!?????..... :blink: You are entitled to your opinion, but I just dont understand this concept. Perhaps I just have a special gift, but I can "understand" and enjoy music perfectly, when played at low volume.
[/quote]

This.
I don't want to listen to recorded music at gig volume.
Give me low volume any day - you can listen a lot longer before fatigue sets in, and you're not being an arsehole by forcing others to listen to loud music.
People playing loud music with no regard for others is one of my pet hates.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1456506552' post='2989841']
People playing loud music with no regard for others is one of my pet hates.
[/quote]

It's a problem. Another one is people who deliberately make their motorbike/car engines much louder than they ever need to be, for no good reason other than so say, 'look at me! I masturbate frequently and have no social skills or intelligence!'