Why become a member? ×

Why Americans love The Beatles

Happy Jack

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1455803401' post='2982572']
A clip of The Munsters dubbed in German featuring a Beatles cover. I'm not sure where this is going, but it could be fun :-)

Calling Blue....
[/quote]

Good example on how far we'll go to generate income.

Blue

I just don't [i]get[/i] the Beatles. So what if they sold 1.6 billion singles just in the US? Or 600 million albums worldwide? Or that the '1' album was the biggest selling album from 2000 to 2010 even though the band split 46 years ago.

That's just trivial, piffling ephemera compared to the fact that [i]I[/i] don't like the Beatles and never think about them except when I want to make people notice me on internet forums. Look, the Beatles were just a band and totally unimportant compared to - say - musical comedy of the kind performed by my Tiny Tim tribute band.

We're huge in Trowbridge and there's nothing the Beatles can do about [i]that.[/i]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1456605051' post='2990743']
I just don't [i]get[/i] the Beatles. So what if they sold 1.6 billion singles just in the US? Or 600 million albums worldwide? Or that the '1' album was the biggest selling album from 2000 to 2010 even though the band split 46 years ago.

That's just trivial, piffling ephemera compared to the fact that [i]I[/i] don't like the Beatles and never think about them except when I want to make people notice me on internet forums. Look, the Beatles were just a band and totally unimportant compared to - say - musical comedy of the kind performed by my Tiny Tim tribute band.

We're huge in Trowbridge and there's nothing the Beatles can do about [i]that.[/i][/quote]

You don't get it - even your band is influenced by them, what about your cover of "While My Ukelele Gently Weeps"?

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1456607372' post='2990788']
He was a nowhere man, man.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5EcrraNTQo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=w5EcrraNTQo[/url]
[/quote]

I don't 'get' it. He didn't come from Liverpool at all..! :huh:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1456605051' post='2990743']

We're huge in Trowbridge and there's nothing the Beatles can do about [i]that.[/i]
[/quote]
For me, The Beatles were finished the moment they fired Tony Goggle.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1456612000' post='2990845']
For me, The Beatles were finished the moment they fired Tony Goggle.
[/quote]

The events surrounding The Great Man's participation in the Magical Mystery Tour will be detailed in my soon-come ghost-written unauthorised autobiography of Goggle, entitled 'Mr TG - Total Anchor '. My publisher informs me that it will hit the streets sometime around Christmas.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1456609640' post='2990813']
I find it interesting that American artists and bands like Todd Rundgren's Utopia and Cheap Trick took the dayglo imagery and complex, pompous orchestration of Pepper-era Beatles and really ran with it. I can't think of a British band that did that.
[/quote]

:) How about?:

The Move, ELO, Traffic, The Small Faces, early Status Quo, The Moody Blues, Cream (e.g. White Room), The Who (from 66-69, e.g Tommy), Barratt-era Floyd, Barclay James Harvest (check out the song 'Titles'), Elton John, Wizzard, Procul Harum, later T Rex, Mott The Hoople, Bowie (Space Oddity, Man Who Sold the World inter alia), Elvis Costello, The Smiths, Blur and Oasis.

The list gets a bit thin after the mid-90's but that's more or less when I stopped listening to 'new' music.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1456615160' post='2990881']
None of those bands do the Pepper-on-steroids thing like Cheap Trick or Rundgren did.
[/quote]

Jellyfish! Well worth a listen if you're not familiar with 'em.

Todd and CT are ace, too....

(ooops, sorry, I missed the "British" caveat...)

Edited by rushbo

It has taken a long time for me to believe what I have learned from bass chat. That you guys don't have the same level of understanding or appreciation for your own national treasure that Yanks like me have.

When I was waiting in line to see Paul at Miller Park in 2014, I felt like I was waiting to enter the promise land. I had the same feeling when my Dad took me to see The Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1965.

Nothing, even the questionable comments in bass chat regarding The Beatles and their legacy will ever change or alter my position. Call me whatever you want. This stuff is just different for me.

Hey, if You guys don't want them,we'd be glad to take them.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1456607056' post='2990780']

You don't get it - even your band is influenced by them, what about your cover of "While My Ukelele Gently Weeps"?
[/quote]

Any one standing up playing electric guitar in a rock and roll band has been influenced by The Beatles whether they know it or not and whether they like it or not.

End of story and not ooen for discussion.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1456723836' post='2991688']
It has taken a long time for me to believe what I have learned from bass chat. That you guys don't have the same level of understanding or appreciation for your own national treasure that Yanks like me have.

Blue
[/quote]

You mean we're not stalkers :lol:

We do appreciate our artistes but we're just a little more reserved than you Yanks. Hence, we don't "WHOOP" at gigs.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1456723836' post='2991688']When I was waiting in line to see Paul at Miller Park in 2014, I felt like I was waiting to enter the promise land. I had the same feeling when my Dad took me to see The Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1965.[/quote]

You were 12!!

BTW. Even when you quote to reply then delete or edit your post, I still get to see what you originally said in an email notification.
You should seriously check your Trump-esque "debating" technique ........... or put the bottle down.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1456736251' post='2991739']
Two nations divided by a common language. Don't know who said it but it is true. Three hundreds years of evolution into very different cultures.
[/quote]

Don't know if he first phrased it but it's a book by Christopher Davies, I have a copy. Pg.97 says "The Beatles were over-rated". *

[size=2]* One of these sentences may have been made-up for this post.[/size]

I'd just got halfway through typing a rambling response when I realized that frankly I could not be arsed. Suffice it to say that thanks to this and the other groundhog threads, I am now less interested in that ruddy band than I have ever been and Revolver is off my playlist for the foreseeable.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456737006' post='2991748']

Wasn't it a US citizen that murdered a Beatle?

Wasn't it US citizens who burned Beatles records?

I think we'll keep them.
[/quote]

Yes, it was a US Citizen that murdered John.

The records were burnt by racist ignorant southern hicks. They don't count.

Good to hear you want your national treasure, that's positive.

Blue

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1456734234' post='2991725']

You were 12!!

BTW. Even when you quote to reply then delete or edit your post, I still get to see what you originally said in an email notification.
You should seriously check your Trump-esque "debating" technique ........... or put the bottle down.
[/quote]

Lets see, the show was right after they completed the filming of United Artists movie "Help". Yeah, I guess I was around 12.

Blue

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1456734234' post='2991725']

You were 12!!

[/quote]

I edit because I always have a ton of misspelled words.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1456768302' post='2992057']

The records were burnt by racist ignorant southern hicks. They don't count.

[/quote]

I thought the records were burnt by religious fanatics because of Lennon's comment about the Fabs being more popular than Jesus ( btw does anyone know if this was actually true or not? Depends on the definition of 'popular' I suppose?).

Maybe they were racist ignorant southern hicks as well?

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1456768660' post='2992065']

I thought the records were burnt by religious fanatics because of Lennon's comment about the Fabs being more popular than Jesus ( btw does anyone know if this was actually true or not? Depends on the definition of 'popular' I suppose?).

Maybe they were racist ignorant southern hicks as well?
[/quote]

Yes, the religious fanatics were also ignorant southern racist hicks. They still are.

As far as the record burning, I was not living in The States at that time. I was living in beautiful southern Spain.

Blue

Saw an interview with Neil Sedaka on BBC4. He said that the moment the Beatles (and the Stones) arrived his career and many others like him (Connie Francis, Pat Boone etc) just stopped! Dead. From earning huge amounts of money (in those days) he ended up touring northern working mens clubs in England which were not for the weak minded. His experience was that the Beatles impact was enormous in the US and changed everything for ever! And he should know cos hes a pretty smart fella.