Why become a member? ×

Playing Near the Neck

Cacophonix

Hi guys, this is my first post ....!

I play fingerstyle on a jazz bass (Fender Squier VMJ).

I've always played right next to the neck because of two reasons. Firstly, I like the warm tone and secondly, it's the only position where I feel comfortable.

However I seem to notice lots of people playing either over the pickups or near the bridge (I haven't exactly done a serious study but it's just what I've noticed).

So I was wondering if playing near the neck is unusual and are there downsides to this approach? I was worrying that I'd picked up a bad habit and should force myself to play closer to the pickups until I get used to it rather than entrenching myself in the wrong place. Or should I just play wherever feels natural to me?

Thanks in advance ...!

[quote name='Cacophonix' post='288201' date='Sep 20 2008, 08:18 PM']...should I just play wherever feels natural to me?[/quote]

Got it in one!

I play over pickup in the main, but I play over the neck sometimes if the tune calls for it, especially on the fretless. And, when I was a Jazz-totin' parp-machine, I used to play right at the bridge.

Edited by wateroftyne

Start with what feels comfortable, then move towards what the song demands.

If you need a P-bass to sound like an upright double (think [i]The Look Of Love[/i] by Dusty Springfield, for example) you'll be resting your thumb on the side of the neck. If you're playing [i]All The Small Things[/i] by Sum 41 you'll have the heel of your hand resting on the bridge.

Above all though, if it feels and sounds right, then it's right.

As an electric jazzer, I find I, like you, favour the neck end of things to the bridge area. If you actually look at a double bass player, s/he is generally playing in a similar position relative to the bridge/neck. That is why the sound is deeper and more rounded. When I solo, I find I move slightly towards the bridge so itcuts through a little more but rarely do I play right up at that bridge end.

Brilliant, thanks a lot. Good to know that I'm not doing something totally weird. I do love the sound of an upright bass so perhaps that's why I naturally move towards a similar style of playing. But I can understand the advantages of moving towards the bridge for a sharper sound. I'll try to practice a little more playing at that end to give myself more options for different sounds.

[quote name='barneythedog' post='288283' date='Sep 20 2008, 10:44 PM']the strings are tauter near the bridge too, so when it comes to playing fast it can be easier at that end of the the bass.

Having said that I agree, I generally prefer the warmth of the neck end. :)[/quote]

There is more tension at the bridge end. Though with a heavier gauge of string, faster stuff can be done down at neck end too.

I find myself playing all over the area. However, these days more over the pick-up (P-Bass) & at the neck. Varies according to music,bass,strings etc.
You can get get so many tonal varieties, just from which area you pluck the strings with both fingers & a pick - it's good to experiment.

It's about whatever feels more natural to you and also what tones the song calls for! My main tone comes from me naturally playing over the bridge pickup, that is the main sound in my head, but then there are certain passages in songs that will require me to move over to the neck pickup. In the same way that the sound of the note I want determines where on the neck I'll play it.

I've also found that if you want an overdriven sound (if you have a tube amp or hybrid like me), you're more likely to get it my digging in on the neck pickup than the bridge pickup.....again, it's just another sound available to your fingers that perhaps others think they need pedals or EQ changes for!

Si

I play on 3 different parts myself, all for tone!

Near the bridge for a tight sound, which needs a bit less low.
In between both pickups (on my jazz) for my most common sound
Pluck with my thumb ON the neck for some nice roots (e.g. the 'quiet' parts in Pet by A perfect circle)

• 2 weeks later...

one of the main reasons why i own a stingray and love them is because the pickup position is exactly where i like to play

i love the p bass sound, but iv always struggled as i cant anchor my thumb where i want to

• 4 weeks later...

After playing Stingrays for years ( 4s & 5s ) I naturally play at the stingray pickup position even though both of my basses are '53 P clones. It took me a long time to adjust to not having the anchor that the low B gave me for all those years

I prefer playing here as I like a punchy sound and use a lot of staccato in my playing. I'l generally only venture to the neck if i intentionally want to thicken up the sound without mucking about with the controls.

Something like the intro to 'let there be love' by Nat King Cole (was a merry old soul) but when it gets to the first verse, I'll revert back to my usual position so that it cuts through better.

A couple examples of people using their right hand up against the neck are Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath and Stanley Clarke.

Geezer plays right up against the neck because he began playing an old P bass and didn't realise that the pickup covers came off! I'm guessing that Stanley plays there because of his upright playing.

2 different players playing different styles with similar right hand positioning but completely different sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='301724' date='Oct 7 2008, 08:05 PM']one of the main reasons why i own a stingray and love them is because the pickup position is exactly where i like to play[/quote]
I thought that would be the main thing I missed about my old Groove 5 but I actually find the option of 2 positions with the Retroactive better for me. But I do love the Stingray PU position.

As for playing by the neck, the Ox did it, so it must be OK! :)

Play the string wherever and however makes the right sound! That's all there is to it.

As a beginner it may help to start with three basic playing positions, e.g. near the bridge, near the neck and in between, just to get you understanding the tonal effect of moving your right hand, but with practice you should become totally fluid at controlling the tone.

Also concentrate on learning to pluck the strings so they move parallel to the frets, not perpendicular - this gives you maximum dynamic range with minimum fretbuzz.

As with any artform, once you have all the techniques nailed you can then throw them out of the window and just get on with being creative in whatever way gets the required result - avoid short-cuts on your route to enlightenment! :)

Alex

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='288221' date='Sep 20 2008, 07:43 PM']Start with what feels comfortable, then move towards what the song demands.

If you need a P-bass to sound like an upright double (think [i]The Look Of Love[/i] by Dusty Springfield, for example) you'll be resting your thumb on the side of the neck. If you're playing [b][i]All The Small Things[/i] by Sum 41[/b] you'll have the heel of your hand resting on the bridge.

Above all though, if it feels and sounds right, then it's right.[/quote]
Don't you mean Blink 182? lol
And I'd play wherever feels and sounds best for you, no definitive place for you to play, no 'awesome tone=here' place, except the one that you find really.
Zach

My first bass was a jazz, and I played pretty much over the last frets, then I started learning over the neck pickup then eventually started on the back for speed. but its what you feel comfortable with tbh, each have their own reasons for playing there. id suggest try them all, cause eventually you might need the sound or speed from a certain position, plus it helps if you get new basses to pick them up and start playing well as soon as you do. (except ric's, I still cant play those)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='288225' date='Sep 20 2008, 07:53 PM']As an electric jazzer, I find I, like you, favour the neck end of things to the bridge area. If you actually look at a double bass player, s/he is generally playing in a similar position relative to the bridge/neck. That is why the sound is deeper and more rounded. When I solo, I find I move slightly towards the bridge so itcuts through a little more but rarely do I play right up at that bridge end.[/quote]

I pretty much agree with Bilbo as above, but I would add one real specific advantage, I find (and it might just be me) that raking is much easier in a 'near the neck' position as there is a radial action available with the forearm. It seems to me that reducing muscle movement in the wrist produces a greater degree of accuracy so that I can be much deeper into the note in a fast arpegiated movement. In particular if combined with high register -open string- low register passages can all be given a one phrase feel. This makes quite simple and easily controlled register switches sound really death defying when in fact they are quite easy.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='BassManKev' post='301724' date='Oct 7 2008, 08:05 PM']one of the main reasons why i own a stingray and love them is because the pickup position is exactly where i like to play

i love the p bass sound, but iv always struggled as i cant anchor my thumb where i want to[/quote]

When I first got a stingray (coming from a variety of J-style pickuped Yamahas) I was thrown by having to play so near the bridge. Now it just seems normal. Strangely, now I'm playing my G&L (twin humbuckers) most of the time, I've drifted much nearer the neck so I guess it depends on the bass too.