Why become a member? ×

Fabulous 80's Washburn

karlfer

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1455538880' post='2979933']
Well..I'm watching it . Really considering buying it and replacing my dean taxi bass.
I'm a headless guy, but this just rocks ! Karlifer , I am saying a few expletives in your direction ;)
[/quote]

Jolly good :yarr: :D

Quite amazing, never seen one like this before.

I had one of these - my first "good" bass - in 1981. Mine was deep red stained with a burst finish flamed top Sold it when I stopped playing in metal bands but subsequently regretted that - you hardly ever see these now.

So, never seen an early (this one's 1980) solid-finish before. This one's a Yamaki build (current opinion says early MIJ Washies were Yamaki, then Chushin Gakki from about 1982, so not Matsumoku) but all the examples I've seen previously have trans finishes and brass ring inlays. Interesting tuners too, different to the 2 types you tend to see on early MIJ Washboards.

Like I said, these do come up very infrequently and are usually priced high. I can't help feeling £350 is a pretty reasonable price for this, it looks tidy and is an unusual variation.

Jon.

Yes, it's good for metal ;) . I'm trying to be sensible regarding my bass collection. When I sold my telebass, I said I'd wait till I get some money due I anytime in the next 18-24 months and get a decent headless ,or a kubicki . That would be it . However, I have 3 headed basses ( including the one in m avatar ).
I can't see myself being in bands again TBH . As much as I love metal, I haven't the hair and I too old to be playing it in pubs IMHO,

I've just got memories of me being in this bar in Bruges many years ago. It had lots of collectible guitars on the wall . One was a zz top bass autographed.
Very pointy like this . This bass would look great in a glass display case . If I got this , it'd be hanging on the wall , and obviously played .
I'm torn! The dean taxi bass , looks more mature and more country/ blues etc. This Washburn rawks!

Bloody hell Karl ! I'm going back to 1997. My self and my friend ended up,in Bruges unexpectedly . We just managed to stay at the 'walberg' hotel,which was not due to open for another 2 weeks at the time . Great people . If it was ziggis, then they were playing some mellow ambient music at the time , and apparently that was'french radio'.( I think the bar may be called Charlie rockets )
Ramble over. ;) it's a good job a lot of folk are not too keen on yellow basses. It will probably be gone by Friday , if I don't make my mind up .

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Oh myyyyyyyy.... Had a B-20 8 string in about 84 (yep, that odd dark red, brass ring fret markers and a flame top), which had a very odd triangular neck profile, string break angles so sharp they'd snap a string when fitting if you weren't very careful, and the most vicious neck dive of anything I've ever experienced, but I'm still sorry I sold it.

And yellow's my favourite colour...

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1455567056' post='2980332']
Oh myyyyyyyy.... Had a B-20 8 string in about 84 (yep, that odd dark red, brass ring fret markers and a flame top), which had a very odd triangular neck profile, string break angles so sharp they'd snap a string when fitting if you weren't very careful, and the most vicious neck dive of anything I've ever experienced, but I'm still sorry I sold it.

And yellow's my favourite colour...
[/quote]

How could I have forgotten the neck dive!
"Vicious" is a very apt description, almost needed shinpads!

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1455583657' post='2980513']
How could I have forgotten the neck dive!
"Vicious" is a very apt description, almost needed shinpads!
[/quote]

I think that's why the headstock's squared off: if it'd have been pointed, you'd be digging it out of the floor every five minutes... :D

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1455640410' post='2981000']
I think that's why the headstock's squared off: if it'd have been pointed, you'd be digging it out of the floor every five minutes... :D
[/quote]

Never mind the floor, what about the player's foot... !

• 1 month later...