Why become a member? ×

Basschat book swap/ Loan / Request ?

Wonky2

I met up yesterday with Essexbasscat to finalise a deal on my mesa walkabout rig....
During conversation he mentioned something about doing a black strat project for a friend to which a light bulb switched on in my head......
I dashed off into the loft where i have a huge amount of books ive read to fetch back a copy of a book i have about david Gilmour or more so, his black strat. (Its a great interesting read about the histroy, journey and modifications of his favourite black fender stratocaster).

I handedthe book to Tom and asked that if he wanted to take it, read it and just post it back when he was finished i had no problem with that and was happy to share it with him.

Seemed like a great idea......

I was at a loose end last week while waiting for my car to be mot'd and went to spend a couple of hours in the library with a coffee and a book. (A chance for some welcomed peace and quiet from the kids at home :) )
I Started to read a book by Guy Prat called my bass and other animals, it was a good read which i enjoyed, but as i wasnt a member of the library i had to leave it 3 chapters in when they called to say my car was ready.

So, after the book lend yestereday, i wondered if any other bc'ers may have a copy which they have read and wouldnt mind loaning it out to another member ?

Logic followed that it may be good to have a thread in which members can make requests for a short term loan of a particular book and if others can help, maybe they will?

Understandably, some books are expensive or precious things... For example, i wanted to buy chuck treagers book on set up and repair of double bass for optimum sound, but at £75 a copy i resisted the urge to buy.... I certainly wouldnt expect anyone to loan me that either ! But a paperback which is of low value is a fairly low risk and too be fair, we are all quite a friendly and trustworthy bunch here on bc.

I have a loft filled with books i have read (not all music) and often think it criminal that they lay there, read, done, finished with........

So...... There it is........ If any one has a copy of guy prats book they have read and wouldnt mind lending it out to me as a respectful bc memeber (:) ) please let me know.

Please feel free to add any book requests here... whether it be biographies....music books, or other....
(Not razzle or big jugs weekly)

If members can help..... Let them know :)

Edited by Wonky2

I've sent off a few bits before. I'd be happy to circulate some books around that I'm not using at the moment. I've got;
[list]
[*]Latin Bass Book - Oscar Stagnaro
[*]The Jazz Bass Book - Bruce Goldsby
[*]The Evolving Bassist - Rufus Reid
[*]Loads more.
[/list]
I'd love to do a temporary trade for anyone who has another book in that sort of realm. Feel free to drop me a message! :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1454266556' post='2968073']
There used to be a thread where people were passing around Guy Pratt's book for others to read when they'd finished it.
I gave my copy away, I thought it was f***ing rubbish.
[/quote]
Hahaha it may well be .... I only got a short way in where he was talking about his upbringing etc.... But i liked the writing style, easy going..... May as well give it a go... :)

Ill get up in the loft in the next few days and see what ive got to offer....

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1454271605' post='2968154']
Yeah, im not sure of its legallity either but no ones copying anything, all books are paid for so im not sure if copyright law prohibits the lending of original paid for property?[/quote]

iirc it's OK so long as you don't put it in a different cover, or take it apart like installments, ie. keep it original. It's not like the music & film laws of unlawful distribution etc.
I've just produced another book last week for a client, so I'll check, but that's how I remember it.

Edited by Big_Stu

If you head over to the 'Recycle' section of the forums there are a few books that are for 'passing on' the idea being that one member can pass the book, or whatever, to someone else who wants it before the process starts again.
Granted it occasionally appears sometimes the books get stuck or lost , but if the members keep on the ball the facility is there to use .

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1454271605' post='2968154']
Yeah, im not sure of its legallity either but no ones copying anything, all books are paid for so im not sure if copyright law prohibits the lending of original paid for property ?
Not that i care much :)
[/quote]
You're not profiting - I don't see the issue
If you were photo copying it or reading it aloud ..

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1454281662' post='2968285']
I can't believe this is illegal. I can lend someone my [u]car[/u], FFS...
[/quote]
Books used to have a clause in the copyright statement prohibiting lending, reselling or hired out . This did not apply to the USA. This statement does not seem to be in modern books (post 1980s), maybe a change in copyright law?

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1454326766' post='2968540']
Yes
You are right, the books I checked do specially prohibit lending. I can't see how it could be enforced but why not describe it as a gift ? Recipient then gifts it back
[/quote]

Recent books don't have the lending statement. "No part may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, or by any means, electronic or mechanical...."
So you can't send them through the post :shok: