Why become a member? ×

Promoters - the dreggs of the industry

Twigman

Promoters.....

they don't lsten to sh*t do they?

They screw up bookings, complain about the price of flights, forget to book the luggage allowance, screw up hotel bookings, complain about how much everything is costing them...etc etc

IF YOU'D ACTUALLY READ AND UNDERSTOOD OUR TERMS OF ENGAGEMENT THEN YOU WOULD'VE GOT IT RIGHT FIRST TIME AND NOT HAD TO FORK OUT FOR CHANGES BECAUSE YOU WERE BEING TOO MUCH OF A CHEAPSKATE TO DO IT PROPERLY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

They really are a bunch of crooks, aren't they?

They come to us and ask us to play for them.
We communicate our T&Cs.
They accept those T&Cs
They then take every shortcut in the book in an effort to do it on the cheap.
We then point out that those weren't the T&Cs.
They start crying about how much it's costing and that to change stuff will cost them more.
Well you should have done ot properly in the first place, shouldn't you Arthur Daley!

and as for whining about how much it's costing then perhaps you should put a bit more effort into the promotion and getting the punters through the door.

God I hate promoters...

Edited by Twigman

and promoters I'd just like to point out that putting us on is never going to make you, me or anyone else rich.....

and Mr Promoter, you think you're not making enough? - put yourself in my shoes, buddy, you cheapskate - we have to put up with shitforbrains like you!

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452882166' post='2954469']
and promoters I'd just like to point out that putting us on is never going to make you, me or anyone else rich.....

and Mr Promoter, you think you're not making enough? - put yourself in my shoes, buddy, you cheapskate - we have to put up with shitforbrains like you!
[/quote]

Not really selling the act to a promoter here..??

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1452882686' post='2954475']
I've been on both sides of this - tell you what, put on your own gigs, at your own expense (that's real money - yours, not mine) and see how it works out.....(& b r e a t h e )

:)
[/quote]
Done that, and I was more successful than the promoters I'd previously worked with. It isn't easy but it isn't hard either. It's all about being organised and planning ahead.

Sadly most "Promoters" don't understand their job fully.

If a promoter neglects to book our 100kg luggage allowance with our flights (seats only it seems) (at ungodly hours) then how does he expect us to bring our instruments?

Never mind the proposal to fly from Gatwick and return to Heathrow...so how the f*** am I supposed to collect my car from Gatwick?
or will he front the £90 odd quid taxi ride to Gatwick and the £70 odd ride home from Heathrow? (for each of us) No...thought not (normal plan is car share to airport and pay in advance for long stay)

Why would he think providing 2 twins and 1 single would be acceptable when we quite clearly stated 5 singles were non-negotiable?

He begged us to go play....

It's not rocket science.

Promoters:

LEARN TO READ

If we get there I wonder how far the backline will be from the specification on the tech rider?

This doesn't bode well.

Unprofessional is the kindest way to put it.

Doesn't this ever happen to you guys?

Those of you who've been promoters please feel free to explain the behaviour of this particular dude.

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452883670' post='2954485']
Not really selling the act to a promoter here..??
[/quote]

Most of the promoters we deal with do a great job, have obviously read our T&Cs - there's often a problem with the tech rider but that might be local availability issues...but this current dude - never played in portugal before so new promoter.....he hasn't a clue what he's doing, it seems.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452907186' post='2954734']
Most of the promoters we deal with do a great job, have obviously read our T&Cs - there's often a problem with the tech rider but that might be local availability issues...but this current dude - never played in portugal before so new promoter.....he hasn't a clue what he's doing, it seems.
[/quote]

twigman would you mind PMing me the promoters name as i have a suspicion i know who it is and it isn't the first time its happened

cheers

chris

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452879036' post='2954418']
Well you should have done ot properly in the first place, shouldn't you Arthur Daley!
[/quote]

I'm appalled at the name-and-shame culture here on BC, with all the wild accusations without evidence. The very least you could've done was to make this person anonymous, or even use a generic name... like say... er... George Cole or something. :angry:

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1452882686' post='2954475']
I've been on both sides of this - tell you what, put on your own gigs, at your own expense (that's real money - yours, not mine) and see how it works out.....(& b r e a t h e )

:)
[/quote]

Yes, if you don't like others doing it then do it yourself. Which is in fact exactly how many promoters get started.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452907186' post='2954734']
[/quote]

Recommendations are everything...
Does he have a CV of acts he has booked?

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1452943267' post='2954890']
Probably not much help but I think National Express run a coach service between Heathrow & Gatwick for about £25. Not sure how late this service runs though.
[/quote]

Missing the point.
We have rejected the out from Gatwick back to Heathrow proposal.
If he wants us to come and play these gigs for him he has to fork out to change the flights.
Not our problem.
He should've read and understood the T&Cs he agreed to before he tried to make short cuts.
And don't then cry about how much it's going to cost.

Why would anyone think they could get away with that?

Edited by Twigman