Why become a member? ×

Advertising a gig we dont know about?

gapiro

Mrs. G works about 5 minutes from home . she just walked back home for her lunch and the pub around the corner from where we live are advertising one of my bands as playing there this saturday....

Our band has a 3 person management structure - 2 guys doing bookings and I just do all the tech stuff/arrange sound systems etc
Its a pub we've never played at before, and generally avoid because the area is a bit saturated with band nights, so the pay is not enough for us to warrant playing at.

No one has any idea why they think we're playing there.... absolutely no correspondence on our email accounts with them and no facebook messages. We would have to get a drummer dep (at least) to be able to do it

Going to pop round later and find out whats going on and who they've book with .... I wonder if someone else has used our band name!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1452781119' post='2953435']
Perhaps you have your own tribute act?
[/quote]
They've just removed the "The" from the start of the name.... not very punny!
[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452781420' post='2953440']
Have you been sacked but don't yet know it?
[/quote]
oops. (for the record, no)
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452781561' post='2953441']
I am SO going to offer this idea to the bands I play with ...

:D
[/quote]
Its good, we have 2 guys who get gigs in and who deal with those horrible customers and punters, then I just do the fb page, the website etc
[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1452781954' post='2953458']
I'd just all get there VERY EARLY and be set up, ready for the other band's arrival.
[/quote]
We couldn't do it even if we wanted to, as no drummer or guitar

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1452781657' post='2953445']
We decided to advertise one of our gigs as a tribute act to our own band and got more punters in than normal (7)
[/quote]
Because you must be doing a tribute to a an act that is good, just they haven't heard of them? And who would do a tribute if it wasn't for someone great

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1452794298' post='2953601']
And the solution? The ex bassist (pre me) is using our bands name and adding the word roadshow on the end (and playing a completely different style of music)
[/quote]

hmmmm tacky.... !!

Doesn't sound like he has tried too hard to distance his new 'act' his old one..
I hope he didn't have any website admin either....

This has happened to our band a couple of times. The worst occasion was when we actually saw ourselves on a poster for a big local music festival that happens every year, as part of the band line-up. No one had ever even been in touch to make contact, let alone book us. First and the last we heard of it. Very odd.

Another time we were asked to do a gig and couldn't, confirmed we'd not be able to play, but still somehow found ourselves advertised. At least on that occasion we knew what it was all about.

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1452807816' post='2953779']
...It's unfortunate, but not 'unlawful' - I used to promote venues & I'm not getting into some of the strokes we pulled over billing.....
'Fraid you are just going to have to roll with this one...........

:unsure:
[/quote]
Indeed, I think the lead singers will have some words with him but tbh, it is a compliment to our success (they have about 40 likes on fb, we have 1200)
[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1452808798' post='2953788']
Perhaps in his eyes, the bassist never left the band, just the guitarist and drummer!
[/quote]
I think when you are kicked out of a band of 8 people (3 piece horn section, gtr/keys/2xlvox/bass) it can't really be construed that way ;)

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1452809525' post='2953798']
This has happened to our band a couple of times. The worst occasion was when we actually saw ourselves on a poster for a big local music festival that happens every year, as part of the band line-up. No one had ever even been in touch to make contact, let alone book us. First and the last we heard of it. Very odd.

Another time we were asked to do a gig and couldn't, confirmed we'd not be able to play, but still somehow found ourselves advertised. At least on that occasion we knew what it was all about.
[/quote]

Just contact the booker and tell them to post a cheque, in advance of the gig that you won't cash until the gig night, to your band!

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1452853145' post='2954044']
Sounds a bit like 'An evening of YES music plus' :)
[/quote]

:lol:

I'm in AWR of that one. ;)

(for young readers: Anderson, Wakeman & Rabin have confirmed their new trio.)

Edited by BassTractor