Why become a member? ×

Lemmium

Dandelion

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452110112' post='2946586']
The idea that no one called this heavy metal until the 80s is ludicrous.
[/quote]

Indeed.
The fact that in the late 70s there was "The New Wave of British Heavy Metal" would tend to indicate that there was older British Heavy Metal before it.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452112924' post='2946661']

Indeed.
The fact that in the late 70s there was "The New Wave of British Heavy Metal" would tend to indicate that there was older British Heavy Metal before it.
[/quote]

I refer you to my earlier comment and Greame's Wikipedia link.

Black Sabbath didn't turn up one day and say "Hey, everyone, this is something we've created at home and we're calling it Heavy Metal."

It evolved slowly over a decade and artists argued over whether they were Heavy Metal or Hard Rock or whatever. Mainly because "Heavy Metal" was seen as a put down for a while.

Doesn't mean that Jimmi Hendrix wasn't "Heavy Metal", or "Blues Rock" or whatever.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452110443' post='2946595']
And there I was relieved to be thinking that all the furore over the guy had died down.

I sat at my laptop and screamed last week, just after informing everyone that if I see anyone else mention Lemmy on Facebook or anywhere else then I'm going to scream. I said I would, so I did.

:)
[/quote]

Best not read threads about Lemmy then if it offends you so much.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1452109377' post='2946576']
[url="http://www.ptable.com/"]http://www.ptable.com/[/url]

(and that is a pretty cool website)
[/quote]

I love the orbitals !

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1452114531' post='2946699']
"An [b]astrological[/b] object (a star) has been named Lemmy to meet the IUPAC naming recommendations"

:facepalm:

Yeah, that's going to impress the scientists. Embarrassing.
[/quote]

I know. AND it sounds like someone fallen for a 'Name a Star' scam.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1452103489' post='2946465']

He may not have described them as such but Metal wasn't around when they started.

Bands like Kiss, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motörhead where just Rock bands. By the 80s though, they were what we now call metal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_of_British_Heavy_Metal
[/quote]

Age and time definitely have an interesting impact on defining genres.

When I was in high school in the late 60s/early 70s Led Zep was called metal.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1452241611' post='2947868']
Is your band any good at Metal?
[/quote]

Dunno really. We hope we are, but most of our songs are so short that we haven't heard enough of them to know whether they really are Metal.
We call our style Decay, or sometimes Fragile Metal.

If bass players have the right to force scientists to change the name of an element, then how about if ballet dancers have the right to rename the Fender Precision Bass as the "Fender Wayne Sleep" due to his great precision in his dance routines?

If Lemmy always fought against his music being "metal" then naming a heavy metal element after him would be a final kick in the privates beyond the grave. (Call yourself fans?)

Also, folk here have suggested Lemmy was "mythical". Look the word up for **** sake. Mythical means "imaginary or fictitious". If he was that how the hell has he died!!

Edited by Grangur

Breaking news! 112,821 ballet dancers sign petition to F̶O̶R̶C̶E̶ request Fender rename the Precision Bass to "Fender Wanye Sleep".

I don't believe the term 'Heavy Metal' is used in the context of elements in the periodic table.

We need to ask, would Lemmy be chuffed or would he think there were 112,821 assholes. I've no idea, never met the man.

But all a bit of fun really, it's not gonna happen is it?

EDIT: The four new elements have not been officially named yet.

Edited by pfretrock

Lemmy would be chuffed. Listen to the interview.

He didn't like rock stars who weren't in touch with their fans. He didn't like people who were stuck in a time period and refused to move with the times and evolve.

If the fans want an element named and the stuffy scientists don't, that's proper Rock'n'roll (or heavy metal) :)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1452268025' post='2948318']
Lemmy would be chuffed. Listen to the interview.

He didn't like rock stars who weren't in touch with their fans. He didn't like people who were stuck in a time period and refused to move with the times and evolve.

If the fans want an element named and the stuffy scientists don't, that's proper Rock'n'roll (or heavy metal) :)
[/quote]
Good enough answer for me!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1452263695' post='2948230']
If bass players have the right to force scientists to change the name of an element, then how about if ballet dancers have the right to rename the Fender Precision Bass as the "Fender Wayne Sleep" due to his great precision in his dance routines?
[/quote]

Wayne Sleep is like a wooden spoon in a bucket of porridge. It's Fred Astaire or no one!