Why become a member? ×

Best and worst Christmas songs ?

ambient

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1450431542' post='2932664']

I really don't get this attitude. I very much doubt that anyone on here was able to play a tune competently the first time they picked up their chosen instrument. Song writing is a skill just like any other that is developed by being rubbish at first and then practicing until you are not.
[/quote]
Good song writings not a skill u can learn it's a gifted ability which some have but most of us don't have, believe me if I had it I probably would'nt be sat here clicking away on a basschat forum.

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1450466131' post='2933182']
Good song writings not a skill u can learn it's a gifted ability which some have but most of us don't have, believe me if I had it I probably would'nt be sat here clicking away on a basschat forum.
[/quote]

Sorry, but I agree with BigRedX.
It's a skill you can learn, like anything else.
How good, really depends on much work you put in.
Granted, some are better than others and learn quicker, reach greater heights etc.

An awful lot of Film, TV and Media composers learn their art in collages and university.
That goes for pop writing and Classical as well.
Plenty of top writers over the past, who have not, of course, it was just plain hard work and practise
and maybe for some, it is a thing that comes easy to them.
But defiantly, it's there to be learned.

Hundreds of these places exist around the world, and have done for a couple of hundred years.
[size=4][url="http://www.rcm.ac.uk/composition/compositionforscreen/"]http://www.rcm.ac.uk...itionforscreen/[/url][/size]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1450466839' post='2933189']
Sorry, but I agree with BigRedX.
It's a skill you can learn, like anything else.
How good, really depends on much work you put in.
Granted, some are better than others and learn quicker, reach greater heights etc.

An awful lot of Film, TV and Media composers learn their art in collages and university.
That goes for pop writing and Classical as well.
Plenty of top writers over the past, who have not, of course, it was just plain hard work and practise
and maybe for some, it is a thing that comes easy to them.
But defiantly, it's there to be learned.

Hundreds of these places exist around the world, and have done for a couple of hundred years.
[url="http://www.rcm.ac.uk/composition/compositionforscreen/"]http://www.rcm.ac.uk...itionforscreen/[/url]
[/quote]

I totally agree.

The university that I studied at for my BMus did a BA in songwriting. Hearing the evolution of the guys on that course is proof to me at least that it can be taught. That's not to say that there aren't individuals blessed with natural ability and talent, because there undoubtably is.

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1450466131' post='2933182']
[/quote]

Songwriting is most definitely a skill that can be learned and improved upon.

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1450429909' post='2932632']

Lucky man...and the Roy Wood tune too...I couldn't write a song to save my life...hats of to these guys.
[/quote]

I quite forgot the Wizard song. We are all sick of it, but it's an incredible song and still makes me feel Christmasy!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1450637494' post='2934515']
Songwriting is most definitely a skill that can be learned and improved upon.
[/quote]
unfortunately though, a lifetime is not long enough for most of us to learn and improve that skill.
Most successful songwriters have an innate ability that the majority do not have.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1450699240' post='2934912']
unfortunately though, a lifetime is not long enough for most of us to learn and improve that skill.
Most successful songwriters have an innate ability that the majority do not have.
[/quote]

I wouldn't object at all to the idea that some people have some inborn abilities of one kind or another - call it innate or genetic or from a previous life or whatever - but people can still practice and learn and get better. Some people may not make much progress but some will make lots of progress even if there are others more talented (and/or more practiced) than them. Conversely, some talented people may not make full use of their talents. People's abilities in songwriting, as in most things, are not rigidly fixed at birth and nor do people's latent talents always become actually realised.

That some people may be 'gifted' (for want of a better word) doesn't mean that others cannot improve. Although, and of course, many others never will.

Like other things some will always achieve their potential much quicker than others. Graham Gouldman was writing hits for other people when he was in his teens. Lennon & McCartney had a bit of an apprenticeship but still can't have been at it for all that long by the time they were knocking out stuff that topped the charts then and is still covered to this day. Sorry I'm derailing the thread a little here. I think I listed my xmas faves around this time last year anyway...

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1450703614' post='2934971']
Like other things some will always achieve their potential much quicker than others. Graham Gouldman was writing hits for other people when he was in his teens. Lennon & McCartney had a bit of an apprenticeship but still can't have been at it for all that long by the time they were knocking out stuff that topped the charts then and is still covered to this day. Sorry I'm derailing the thread a little here. I think I listed my xmas faves around this time last year anyway...
[/quote]

It's a derailment but an interesting one 😊.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1450701485' post='2934942']
I wouldn't object at all to the idea that some people have some inborn abilities of one kind or another - call it innate or genetic or from a previous life or whatever - but people can still practice and learn and get better. Some people may not make much progress but some will make lots of progress even if there are others more talented (and/or more practiced) than them. Conversely, some talented people may not make full use of their talents. People's abilities in songwriting, as in most things, are not rigidly fixed at birth and nor do people's latent talents always become actually realised.

That some people may be 'gifted' (for want of a better word) doesn't mean that others cannot improve. Although, and of course, many others never will.
[/quote]

I'm with Tension, here. It takes hard work and practice as well as a willingness to learn from others. Lennon and McCartney were distinctly average before mastering their craft in Hamburg over hundreds of hours of playing. Billy Bragg spent his teenage years writing awful, awful poetry and learned from his mistakes. No one makes it without a vast amount of very hard work. Paying attention in school helps, too. You know the Beatles were literate in the correct use of the apostrophe in Hard Day's Night.

Just going back to Gouldman for a minute (since there was a 10cc thread recently) between the ages of about 19-21 he wrote 'For Your Love', 'Heart Full Of Soul' 'Look Through Any Window' 'Bus Stop' 'No Milk Today' and a few other hits. Not a bad CV for a young 'un still gaining experience. Think Carole King co worte 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?' when she was still in her late teens as well. Kate Bush had early demo versions of material that ended up on her first album when she was about 17. They might have all been plonking out awful twaddle at the age of 10 for all I know and carefully honed their craft over the next 8 years. Or they might just naturally 'have it'.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1450705900' post='2935013']
No one makes it without a vast amount of very hard work.
[/quote]
Over the years, I have known, and have worked with many songwriters. Some have 30+ years of writing experience, but have had no real commercial success. Others with little to no experience have had huge success - eg. One young lady I worked with 35 years ago went from a receptionist at a record company to writing the soundtrack for a hugely successful movie (and indeed starring in movie), she had very little musical experience, let alone writing experience! The amount of "Hard work" doesn't seem to have figured in the level of success.
IME Some just seem to have a handle on it right from the off.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1450721510' post='2935243']
Over the years, I have known, and have worked with many songwriters. Some have 30+ years of writing experience, but have had no real commercial success. Others with little to no experience have had huge success - eg. One young lady I worked with 35 years ago went from a receptionist at a record company to writing the soundtrack for a hugely successful movie (and indeed starring in movie), she had very little musical experience, let alone writing experience! The amount of "Hard work" doesn't seem to have figured in the level of success.
IME Some just seem to have a handle on it right from the off.
[/quote]

I was thinking of the amount of effort that goes in before going pro or turning a hand to the chosen career. Granted, there is always your outliers.

I've got a lot of love for Slade and Shakey and it never feels like christmas until I've heard Fairytale of New York but I'll put a vote in for Back Door Santa by Clarence Carter.
https://youtu.be/s0NoalRsk5w

For the worst, until this year I'd have said the Millennium Prayer by Cliff or Stay Another Day by East 17, but after hearing Sam Smith's nasal falsetto version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas the other day that has now topped my list. Truly awful and I haven't got the taste of sick out of my mouth yet!

Edited by sbrag

songwriting like playing an instrument can be learnt with practice and tuition, but it takes something extra to come up with something special, otherwise everybody would be able to do it, and they can't, even if they think they can, as somebody once said to me during a particularly tiresome open mic session, most singer songwriters aren't

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1451040060' post='2937944']
Deffo....

[media]http://youtu.be/3zzwbYyvWiU[/media]
[/quote]is that really a Christmas song? what do we think makes a Christmas song? a song that's a hit at Christmas or a song about Christmas? Stop the Calvery is another one, it's an anti war song that mentions Christmas once, and that's about being home for Christmas, personally I don't class it as a Christmas song but a lot of people do

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1450390686' post='2932415']
I wonder how much cash Noddy Holder has made from Merry Xmas?..yeah we all hate it but its still an immense tune...
I quite like the Mariah Carey tune with that beautifully played plodding bass...[/quote]

Funny you should put them both together....... he's said that just now it's about £800k a year, but I'm not sure if that's just his alone or half, split between him & Jimmy Lea.
In a recent pub chat (with me, yes, really) he actually rated Mariah Carey's above MXE, reckoned it had it all for a Xmas record.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1451040489' post='2937951']
is that really a Christmas song? what do we think makes a Christmas song? a song that's a hit at Christmas or a song about Christmas?[/quote]

Their earlier hit was..........a Christmas song that is......

[media]http://youtu.be/EDc2FD-vy8M[/media]

All together at the chorus....... 3, 4
[i]Gaudete, Gaudete, Christus est natus,[/i]
[i]Ex Maria Virgine, Gaudete[/i]

Edited by Big_Stu