Why become a member? ×

Warwick and their 'new' pricing system

funkyjimbob

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1451308302' post='2939436']

If you look at the other pictures you can see that the break in the wood has been repaired by repositioning the broken bit, glued and metal pins inserted through it to strengthen the area.

What would really piss me off would be the choice of the wood by the original guy in the factory in the first place, for an instrument of this value it is a fundamentally bad choice of timber to make the neck from , the knott at the nut with the corresponding machining has weakened the structural point of the truss bearing surface to the point of it breaking. I would argue that the cause of this problem is purely down to the shoddy choice of timber used to make the neck in the first place.
[/quote]
I'm a committed Warwick fan generally, but if you'd had Warwick do the repair I doubt they'd have sent the pictures showing the incriminating evidence of the wood selection. But then I also doubt you'd get much support from them if you sent them the pics.

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1451497467' post='2941010']
I own two Warwick Corvettes $$, I'm really pleased with them. I did a lot of research on Forums etc before buying them and there seemed to be an opinion that from the late 1990's to 2007 the quality of Warwick's wasn't so good, hence me buying a 2009 and 2010 made model. I wonder if anyone else can verify this. IMO buying a secondhand Warwick is very good value for money, the prices of the new proper German made ones are out of reach for most people.
[/quote]

I've got 4 Warwick basses. All German made; 02, 05, 07 & 08.
All have never given the slightest problem ever.

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1451498913' post='2941027']
I've got 4 Warwick basses. All German made; 02, 05, 07 & 08.
All have never given the slightest problem ever.
[/quote]

Glad to hear it, out of interest is there much difference in the neck thickness between them, again people saying post 2007 had slimmer necks

I know people who have had no problems too but it always seems to be Warwicks that I have heard having issues. Especially with the necks. I've had 3 now that have had serious issues with them (2 of them having been owned from new). I think I have owned around 10 in total so it's not a great hit rate.

I have a 2007 custom shop Streamer Stage 1 too that has had no problems whatsoever and plays amazingly!

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1451499398' post='2941033']

Glad to hear it, out of interest is there much difference in the neck thickness between them, again people saying post 2007 had slimmer necks
[/quote]

All of mine have similar thickness necks too. My 05 SS1 has an almost identical profile neck to my 07 Streamer LX fretless. That's what attracted me to the fretless; same neck as the other.

L-096648-02
K-110687-07
J-147007-08
H-117227-05

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1451499398' post='2941033']
[/quote]

They don't really vary much post 2000 and pre 2009. The biggest variations were in the nineties, all over the place!

Post 2009 necks have the new slimmer standard profile, although not as slim as the eighties necks. Nut widths have never changed that I am aware of.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1451506604' post='2941123']

They don't really vary much post 2000 and pre 2009. The biggest variations were in the nineties, all over the place!

Post 2009 necks have the new slimmer standard profile, although not as slim as the eighties necks. Nut widths have never changed that I am aware of.
[/quote]

The new necks must be really slim then. Mine are similar to a relatively recent Rok bass I had. None of mine are baseball bats.

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1451503818' post='2941081']
I know people who have had no problems too but it always seems to be Warwicks that I have heard having issues. Especially with the necks. I've had 3 now that have had serious issues with them (2 of them having been owned from new). I think I have owned around 10 in total so it's not a great hit rate.

I have a 2007 custom shop Streamer Stage 1 too that has had no problems whatsoever and plays amazingly!

[/quote]What model and year were the ones you had problems with

I have no idea what Warwick are doing with their current pricing. When I bought by bass I thought their mission was to use the best manufacturing technology to give you a premium bass at a reasonable price. Now they seem to be aiming for the premium price bracket too.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Happy New Year everyone.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]I have a reply from Martin this morning:[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]'Hi James,[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]I think we are all ready to go.[/size][/font][/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]As it happens I haven't had to re adjust the neck back the right way as there was a little to much bow this time so that bodes well for the future of the bass.[/size][/font][/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Here are some pics so you can now see how she looks as well.[/size][/font][/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Kind regards'[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Happy is an understatement.[/font][/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Here are the pictures![/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size=4][/size][/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size=4][/size][/size][/font]

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1450269233' post='2931167']
Not sure about Germany, but in the UK there is up to 6 years (5 in Scotland) to claim reasonable repair costs or replacement for a good; dependent on its value and how long it's lasted.

e.g. My £280 TV has just gone pop after 3yrs. I've got no chance getting a free repair. But if you'd paid £1,200 for a super-spiffy washing machine and it packs in after 3yrs I'd expect a free repair or replacement, less reasonable deduction for 3yrs use.

Of course the problem is deciding what is 'reasonable' both in terms of time and value, and unless you take the retailer (not the manufacturer) through small claims, you will get nowhere with after sales.

How long have you had it? £8.5k for a Bass should mean it ought to last years - even if regularly gigged - that's it's job after all. If the repair is beyond economic value then they ought to replace it.

I dunno about Warwick - but other German firms like Miele and Bosch take this sort of aftercare very seriously. Extended warranties are a con and standard 12mth guarantees are bare minimums if you ask me.
[/quote]

Statutory rights like these relate to a contract between a retailer and a consumer. The consumer has no contract with the manufacturer other than a manufacturer's warranty.

On private sales of second hand goods the consumer has far less protection. It basically comes down to whether the item is as described and there is no requirement to disclose faults (although if the item is listed for sale as being in excellent condition, you'd be able to argue that it was not as described).

Warranties are not transferable unless there is a specific clause in the contract.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1451927166' post='2944682']
Ah, that's looking pukka! Hopefully it didn't cost too much and it'll be back with you soon. A happy ending if there ever was one, I reckon.
[/quote]

Just waiting till Wednesday as he wants to be triple sure it's all fine then i shall call him and he will be sending it back Thursday!

In regards to the price, if you were to take the Warwick quote in pounds (4180 euros = £3075) and divide that amount by 6 then you have the cost. :)

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1451926411' post='2944662']
Statutory rights like these relate to a contract between a retailer and a consumer. The consumer has no contract with the manufacturer other than a manufacturer's warranty.

On private sales of second hand goods the consumer has far less protection. It basically comes down to whether the item is as described and there is no requirement to disclose faults (although if the item is listed for sale as being in excellent condition, you'd be able to argue that it was not as described).

Warranties are not transferable unless there is a specific clause in the contract.
[/quote]
Sorry -had forgotten the OP got the bass 2nd hand!

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1451943426' post='2944947']
But buy that bass a brass nut!! :D

Happy to see an all round pleasing and value for money result.
[/quote]

The brass nut is too twangy for me! :)

Only joking. I will upgrade it when I get the chance.

Edited by funkyjimbob

The high end Warwicks, currently labeled custom shop products are what they are. High end basses.
Not only purchasing one costs a lot of money, service on them after the guarantee period also costs a lot of money.

The same goes for high end cars and other goods. It is nice to own a Ferrari, but any service on it in the future will set you back quite some pounds/euros/dollars. This is why only rich people drive Ferrari.

Yes even I sometimes ridicule the high prices asked for spare parts or service, but these prices come with the product you have chosen. They decide their pricing system, not you. I wouldn't ever buy a new Warwick custom shop product as I do not ever want to spend more then approx 2k on ANY instrument. I am a weekend warrior not some rockstar millionaire.

I just think it is a shame Warwick are being portrayed the way they are by this thread. They are by no means an evil company and my experience with their customer service has been nothing short of exemplary and awesome.

After having bought a used Warwick broadneck Dolphin Pro1 fretless five string from 1991, (which by the way is on at least one Simply Red album) the removable truss rod appeared to resonate inside the neck with some notes being played. I mailed Warwick asking what could cause this problem and within half a day Hans Peter Wilfer himself replied, sending me a photograph of the silicon grease I needed to re-apply as over the years the grease must have either dried out or was whiped off the truss rod by a previous owner. I ordered a similar pack of silicon grease, applied it to the truss rod and the problem was gone. What manufacturer offers this kind of service/advice to people using 2nd hand market instruments and therefor are no customers at all? Exactly. Most would have replied "take the bass to a dealer to get a quote".

About the truss rod remark someone else made here:

Thousands of Warwicks have been manufactured and sold, and are being played without anyone ever hearing about these instruments. They simply work. Over the last five or six years I have heard/read (I'm an admin on the Warwick forum but do not work for them) about only a hand full of problems with necks and/or truss rods. That's not a lot is it? Yet they get slag. Booh!

Of course, if your neck goes bad on a standard Fender like bass you can simply purchase a brand X new neck in the aftermarket and your problem is solved. With Warwicks, and especially the neckthru models this of course is not the case.

Final words on this: Taking any problems you have with a manufacturer to forums or social media instead of solving it with that manufacturer says more about you as a person then it does about that manufacturer.

Ugh.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1452076987' post='2946076']
The high end Warwicks, currently labeled custom shop products are what they are. High end basses.
Not only purchasing one costs a lot of money, service on them after the guarantee period also costs a lot of money.

The same goes for high end cars and other goods. It is nice to own a Ferrari, but any service on it in the future will set you back quite some pounds/euros/dollars. This is why only rich people drive Ferrari.

Yes even I sometimes ridicule the high prices asked for spare parts or service, but these prices come with the product you have chosen. They decide their pricing system, not you. I wouldn't ever buy a new Warwick custom shop product as I do not ever want to spend more then approx 2k on ANY instrument. I am a weekend warrior not some rockstar millionaire.

I just think it is a shame Warwick are being portrayed the way they are by this thread. They are by no means an evil company and my experience with their customer service has been nothing short of exemplary and awesome.

After having bought a used Warwick broadneck Dolphin Pro1 fretless five string from 1991, (which by the way is on at least one Simply Red album) the removable truss rod appeared to resonate inside the neck with some notes being played. I mailed Warwick asking what could cause this problem and within half a day Hans Peter Wilfer himself replied, sending me a photograph of the silicon grease I needed to re-apply as over the years the grease must have either dried out or was whiped off the truss rod by a previous owner. I ordered a similar pack of silicon grease, applied it to the truss rod and the problem was gone. What manufacturer offers this kind of service/advice to people using 2nd hand market instruments and therefor are no customers at all? Exactly. Most would have replied "take the bass to a dealer to get a quote".

About the truss rod remark someone else made here:

Thousands of Warwicks have been manufactured and sold, and are being played without anyone ever hearing about these instruments. They simply work. Over the last five or six years I have heard/read (I'm an admin on the Warwick forum but do not work for them) about only a hand full of problems with necks and/or truss rods. That's not a lot is it? Yet they get slag. Booh!

Of course, if your neck goes bad on a standard Fender like bass you can simply purchase a brand X new neck in the aftermarket and your problem is solved. With Warwicks, and especially the neckthru models this of course is not the case.

Final words on this: Taking any problems you have with a manufacturer to forums or social media instead of solving it with that manufacturer says more about you as a person then it does about that manufacturer.

Ugh.
[/quote]

If Warwick don't want to be portrayed in a negative manner then they should reconsider their pricing system! You only have to look at the price hikes in the last few years to see why people are annoyed with them.

As I pointed out before, I have no issue with Warwick's response times and quality of help. I have an issue with the fact they are trying to charge me over £3000 (THREE THOUSAND POUNDS) for work that is nowhere near that value. Another interesting point is that when I emailed Hans recently with a custom shop quote (which came to around 8k) he said they would do the repairs on the old bass for free if I took out this custom order. Makes you think how much work is really involved if they can just write off £3000 worth of work in an instant.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Final words on this: Taking any problems you have with a manufacturer to forums or social media instead of solving it with that manufacturer says more about you as a person then it does about that manufacturer.[/quote][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]The same could be said about someone who forms an opinion of someone who is trying to help others on an Internet forum. This thread was here to highlight the frankly ridiculous prices Warwick are charging for the guitar repairs to alert and inform potential buyers about the alarming costs they may be faced with. I'd say that's helping a lot more people than not. And judging by the amount of people posting in here your view is quite frankly in the minority on this forum. I also find companies tend to act quicker and with more integrity once they are exposed to the public eye. I'm not in the wrong here. Warwick are. That's all that matters.[/color][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]My 'Final words on this': I have had my bass repaired for £500. I love Warwick bass guitars but have had 3 or 4 of the 10 or so I have owned go a bit 'squiffy' (regardless of the excellent care I give them and the regular services they receive). Therefore I am in two minds about going through with my next custom shop order. [/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]All's good in regards to this guitar being repaired though so I'm happy. [/font][/color]

Edited by funkyjimbob