Why become a member? ×

Paul McCartney bass playing

The-Ox

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1450032338' post='2928977']
That seems to be another of those, "I don`t like it, so no one should" comments that seems to be pretty prevalent on these boards lately. I don`t really understand why people want to go to Liverpool, but people are free to spend their money how they choose.
[/quote]

Nah, not really. I just think it shows a spectacular lack of imagination and I find it a bit depressing.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1450033480' post='2929008']
Nah, not really. I just think it shows a spectacular lack of imagination and I find it a bit depressing.
[/quote]From your description, it sounds like you need a lot of imagination to go to the Cavern. I remember going to Tombstone, and found out that the OK Corral had been burnt down years ago and a new replica was built. The same goes for the whole of Tombstone. I was very disappointed, and would imagine I would be the same if I went to the Cavern to be honest. At least the weather was nice in Tombstone.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1450030394' post='2928937']

I'm 49 (from Birkenhead) and no one that I knew around my age was really interested in the Beatles when I got into playing music in the late 70s early 80s. It was great. There was a sense of optimism and people were looking forward. Now we have this endless nostalgia BS and this whole Beatles tourism industry. Tedious.
[/quote]

And the 20 something's might call what you were into in the late 70s and early 80s as nostalgia. BS.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1450034567' post='2929034']
And the 20 something's might call what you were into in the late 70s and early 80s as nostalgia. BS.

Blue
[/quote]

The stuff I was into doesn't have a tourism industry built around it. I'm sure there are no Japanese tourists coming to Liverpool to see where Les Pattinson once lived. Your comment doesn't make any sense frankly.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1450030394' post='2928937']

I'm 49 (from Birkenhead) and no one that I knew around my age was really interested in the Beatles when I got into playing music in the late 70s early 80s. It was great. There was a sense of optimism and people were looking forward. Now we have this endless nostalgia BS and this whole Beatles tourism industry. Tedious.
[/quote]

I can totally believe this - when I was a late teen in the late 60s me and my music mad mates were not into the Beatles (Tremeloes, Beach Boys,Small Faces) etc etc - they all classed as pop bands (in the case of the Beatles probably suffering from memories of purchasing merchandise like bubble gum picture cards in 1964 and exchanging them in primary school playground) and not on a par with Cream, the Nice, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Ten Years After. The Beatles had a little more mystique about them though than the likes of the Tremeloes and Hollies and that ilk - and especially with the Sergeant Pepper and Abbey Road albums.

All that said, McCartney is undoubtably a great musician, writer, band leader, composer - probably amongst the greatest and most influential of our age - but as a bass player - I think he's a pretty good player and how he sings whilst playing some of those bass parts is a mystery to me. Technically, as a bass player, there have been many better but nonetheless he plays perfectly for his material. All IMHO of course!! I'm sure I've subconciously nicked many of his phrases which now form part of my personal dictionary of bass licks!!

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1450035298' post='2929052']

The stuff I was into doesn't have a tourism industry built around it. I'm sure there are no Japanese tourists coming to Liverpool to see where Les Pattinson once lived. Your comment doesn't make any sense frankly.
[/quote]

It would be a dream for me to have the opportunity to visit Liverpool and see where it all started.

Blue

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1450030967' post='2928954']

If people are dumb enough to stand and gawp at the Cavern that isn't really the Cavern then I guess they deserve to be exploited....
[/quote]

I'd be the chief gawper.

What happened to the Cavern Club? Why didn't they restore it as a historical venue? What"s there now?

Blue

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1450039614' post='2929118']
All that said, McCartney is undoubtably a great musician, writer, band leader, composer - probably amongst the greatest and most influential of our age - but as a bass player - I think he's a pretty good player and how he sings whilst playing some of those bass parts is a mystery to me. Technically, as a bass player, there have been many better but nonetheless he plays perfectly for his material. All IMHO of course!! I'm sure I've subconciously nicked many of his phrases which now form part of my personal dictionary of bass licks!!
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1450051285' post='2929233']
if you do visit Liverpool mate be sure not to talk about football (or soccer to you)... you won't hear the end of it
[/quote]

Hell no, I actually saw a movie about how seriously and crazy they get about soccer. I'd be afraid someone would kick my arse. :D

Blue

I grew up in a house where the Beatles were on all the time. My parents were big fans, although they were more John lennon than Paul McCartney. When I started playing bass one of my dads bandmates taught me how to play a few Beatles songs. I don't listen to the Beatles now, I fully appreciate them but I heard them enough when young to not need to listen anymore.

I don't really think of Paul as being a bassist either, he just happened to play bass on The Beatles albums. I see him more of an all round musician, this means that he was able to use his ear for melody when creating basslines. As he also did when playing piano or guitar.

As far as The Cavern and Liverpool go, I was there 10 years ago and the city felt a bit like a big piece of Beatles, Liverpool FC and Everton memorabilia. I was back this summer though and the city has new life and seems very different to me. Its a great city with much more to give if you open your eyes and ears to more than the football and music. The Cavern is good, its not the original but so what. If you go in there a cynic then you will leave a cynic. Go in and appreciate the collective greatness of that part of the city and you will have a great time.

Blue you would love it.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1450081795' post='2929299']
heard the song containing words "[i]some people want to fill the world with silly love songs[/i]"** (ironic, given that he is a major culprit) and was very impressed by the bassline

** i have no idea what its actually called
[/quote]
It's called Silly Love Songs and was written in response to others complaining he only wrote silly love songs.

So, the irony was McCartney's own.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1450082111' post='2929302']

It's called Silly Love Songs and was written in response to others complaining he only wrote silly love songs.

So, the irony was McCartney's own.
[/quote]
Ok fair enough - I didn't think he did irony but clearly I'm mistaken