Why become a member? ×

"Boys Night Out" Is This The New Niche For Bands?

blue

I played in a 'boys' night out' band a couple of years ago (except that one of them was a girl). lasted 2 'rehearsals' and left. The 'singer' wasn't there for the first, and I had a good time jamming with the other band members, but when the singer turned up with a sextet of ales, and proceeded to consume them during the rehearsal, I knew that the band wasn't for me. Nothing against the others though, they were good players and we had a laugh, but I'm not into that sort of band.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1449153372' post='2921145']
So could you still live at the same standard of living you have purely from the gigging irrespective of having done a day job for years or is the gigging effectively topping up the pension or savings you accumulated from doing that day job for years?
[/quote]

I wouldn't say I have a great standard of living. I can pay my mortgage and I really don't have many big bills. And it is on top of a tiny pension. So tiny that I am comfortable saying I play for a living. Without the gig money I'd be done.

Blue

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1449155345' post='2921159']
Blue, I think your perception on this is obviously swayed by the fact that what you do for a living - i.e. pay your way by playing in a band - is the [i]exception[/i], rather than rule, for the majority of people who own bass guitars.

Just as being a professional sportsperson is the exception for someone who owns a football, or a bicycle, or a set of golf clubs. Only a minority of people choose - and succeed - in making careers out of such things.

The different between “a boys night out” and “being in a band”? You seem to define this based on whether the musicians are earning their crust from playing music (and so need to play frequently); whereas I think most people would more simply define a “band” as being a bunch of people playing music, period.

Other than that, I’m not sure what question is being asked here. Is being a professional musician better than not being one? Too many variables for that to have any kind of sensible answer: not least how much money you want (or need) to earn and where music sits in your list of life’s priorities, especially when measured against family.

The only distinction to be made here is that some musicians are full time; other are part-time; others still are purely hobbyists. All are musicians.

Still... an interesting thread! ;)
[/quote]

Well the thread as usual went all over the place and that's fine. I really just wanted to hear people's overall thoughts.

I am not sure If I had a specific question, other than are musicians moving more toward the rehearse once a week and gig once a month model as opposed to maybe the few bands with the let's gig as much as possible model. The guys that want to play Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I don't think one model is any better than the other, depends on what or where we think we fit as a musician.

Blue

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1449172769' post='2921346']
I played in a 'boys' night out' band a couple of years ago (except that one of them was a girl). lasted 2 'rehearsals' and left. The 'singer' wasn't there for the first, and I had a good time jamming with the other band members, but when the singer turned up with a sextet of ales, and proceeded to consume them during the rehearsal, I knew that the band wasn't for me. Nothing against the others though, they were good players and we had a laugh, but I'm not into that sort of band.
[/quote]

I've see that sort of thing myself. I joined a band and I think I went to around 3 rehearsals until I realized it was front for the guitarist to get drunk and get out of the house. I sent the band leader an e-mail and gave notice, well I quit, there was no need for notice.

Blue

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1449170525' post='2921314']
Blue, I enjoy your posts and this has been an interesting thread. But the way your OP read it had the air of asking "how much do you gig, and why?" then bigging yourself up on account of your 75 gigs a year, while looking down on those who aren't living that life. I'm sure that's not what you meant, but its certainly how you came across. You probably could have done the first two things, but skipped the last 8o)[/quote]

I play in a bar band, and that is no basis to look down on anyone for any reason. If anything, I say, look down on me because I don't have a family, I don't have a girl friend, I don't have a straight career that I love and I don't have any other interests.

Blue

There can be a bit of a tendency towards "my gigs are more serious than your gigs" type posts on basschat - I'm not only talking about this thread, it happens all over the forum. I find this interesting, as there are also quite a few excellent working players who don't feel the need to do that.
Out of the loose grouping of musical friends I spent my formative years in bands with, some have gone pro and some haven't (I'm one of the latter), and I'm not sure that there is a huge difference in musicianship between the two groups. One of my musical heroes is Clive Palmer who was in the original Incredible String Band lineup. Whenever a band he was in started getting serious, gigging hard and attracting record company interest, he would jump ship and do something else, leaving them to it. He did this three times in all, then spent most of his life working ordinary jobs and gigging for fun in local pubs. That's a model I find quite attractive, and he made some interesting music along the way and seemed to have a happy enough life.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449178329' post='2921400']

Well the thread as usual went all over the place and that's fine. I really just wanted to hear people's overall thoughts.

I am not sure If I had a specific question, other than are musicians moving more toward the rehearse once a week and gig once a month model as opposed to maybe the few bands with the let's gig as much as possible model. The guys that want to play Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I don't think one model is any better than the other, depends on what or where we think we fit as a musician.

Blue
[/quote]r

No room for something in between?

I know bands that have taken breaks Jan-March and October/November and not gigged every weekend between.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449178983' post='2921405']

I play in a bar band, and that is no basis to look down on anyone for any reason. If anything, I say, look down on me because I don't have a family, I don't have a girl friend, I don't have a straight career that I love and I don't have any other interests.

Blue
[/quote]

I would say we all do "Music" and that it is different things for different people. I admire you for working as a musician as much as you do. I admire anyone that learns a skill and is willing to perform. We are all at the top and we are all at the bottom :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1448932278' post='2919424']

That's why I'm not married and why I don't have a girl friend. Nobody tells me what I have the time for or how I spend my time.

Blue
[/quote]

I hear that!

I'm quitting the band I'm currently in due to an increase in working hours. The guys in the band don't have jobs as such, whereas I do. They want to gig every Friday and Saturday, which is fine for them as they have the rest of the week to themselves. I've been playing with these guys for 10 months this time around on top of a 50 hour working week, which can get very tiring however much I enjoy the gigs. Plus, it doesn't really leave time for a social life as such. So I finish at the end of January, and after a break for a few months (while doing 12 hour working days) I'll be looking for another band with the intention of gigging 2 or 3 times a month.
I find a lot of people who used to play have given up to raise kids, or even through pressure from their wives. Though I do find that some of the kid-raisers tend to reappear on the scene once the kids are in their teens, and some of the under-the-thumb guys reappear once their marriage has imploded. All part of the great tapestry of giggage.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1449181369' post='2921433']
r

No room for something in between?

I know bands that have taken breaks Jan-March and October/November and not gigged every weekend between.
[/quote]

January & February will be slow. I don't know what I will do. Go to see other bands, movies etc..

Blue

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1449181316' post='2921432']
There can be a bit of a tendency towards "my gigs are more serious than your gigs" type posts on basschat - I'm not only talking about this thread, it happens all over the forum. I find this interesting, as there are also quite a few excellent working players who don't feel the need to do that.
Out of the loose grouping of musical friends I spent my formative years in bands with, some have gone pro and some haven't (I'm one of the latter), and I'm not sure that there is a huge difference in musicianship between the two groups. One of my musical heroes is Clive Palmer who was in the original Incredible String Band lineup. Whenever a band he was in started getting serious, gigging hard and attracting record company interest, he would jump ship and do something else, leaving them to it. He did this three times in all, then spent most of his life working ordinary jobs and gigging for fun in local pubs. That's a model I find quite attractive, and he made some interesting music along the way and seemed to have a happy enough life.
[/quote]

Sounds like he knew what he wanted out of this and got it.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449178329' post='2921400']Well the thread as usual went all over the place and that's fine.[/quote]

All good, Blue - and that's what I like about your threads.

You're something of a rarity in this community in that you've made a life out of playing bass, whereas the majority of us here do so part-time, whether for extra income or just as a hobby. That's mostly a reflection on the live music scene, where it's notoriously difficult to earn a steady and sufficient income.

As such I always enjoy your insights. You come at this from a different perspective (different from me, at least), which is always interesting.

Cheers :drinks:

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1449229665' post='2921725']
You're something of a rarity in this community in that you've made a life out of playing bass, whereas the majority of us here do so part-time, whether for extra income or just as a hobby.
[/quote]

Some of us are mostly in it for the drugs and women... :mellow:

I`ve not read all of the posts on here, but up until recently I was playing bass with a bunch of old mates in a rock type band. they had no intentions of gigging, but were just choosing to meet up once a fortnight, have a laugh and play some songs. I suppose it`s cheaper than a night on the beer, and given our ages - all 40s onwards - probably a lot easier on the next morning as well. I eventually left as am so busy with my actual band I need all the rest I can get, but it was a giggle.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1449238095' post='2921856']
I`ve not read all of the posts on here, but up until recently I was playing bass with a bunch of old mates in a rock type band. they had no intentions of gigging, but were just choosing to meet up once a fortnight, have a laugh and play some songs. I suppose it`s cheaper than a night on the beer, and given our ages - all 40s onwards - probably a lot easier on the next morning as well. I eventually left as am so busy with my actual band I need all the rest I can get, but it was a giggle.
[/quote]

I can relate to this completely. Our band rehearse fairly regularly, we are mates (drummist is my brother) and we gig as frequently or infrequently as we want and normally just cover our costs.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1449239377' post='2921872']

I can relate to this completely. Our band rehearse fairly regularly, we are mates (drummist is my brother) and we gig as frequently or infrequently as we want and normally just cover our costs.
[/quote]

That's great, but not for those of us that do this to pay the mortgage and utilities.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1450242515' post='2930848']

That's great, but not for those of us that do this to pay the mortgage and utilities.

Blue
[/quote]

Haha, I get what this tgread us about. Blue is worried boys night out bands are getting in on his cover band gig. Ho Ho Ho, itll be OK, why dont you write a song for everyone this Xmas?

https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fomid.gg%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F04%2FTook_er_Jobs.jpg&t=559&c=gTPjl_OhyoXyEQ

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1450242515' post='2930848']

Blue
[/quote]

There was a time when I really wanted this..... and then I realised it is VERY hard
to get enough good gigs to pay for that... and it was then I decided to do something
that paid me well and often and on time rather than convince myself I was 'making' it
doing something I love.

Two 'mates' (read guys I know) are currently on World tours and one of them will gross over a
£1m but too many guys I know struggle to make £30k p.a...or even £20k and that is where
the fun disappears, IMO, as I know they work pretty hard for that sort of money.

'Hard' means up and down the country for gigs... and this country would fit into most U.S states
a few times over..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1450274595' post='2931248']

There was a time when I really wanted this..... and then I realised it is VERY hard
to get enough good gigs to pay for that... and it was then I decided to do something
that paid me well and often and on time rather than convince myself I was 'making' it
doing something I love.

Two 'mates' (read guys I know) are currently on World tours and one of them will gross over a
£1m but too many guys I know struggle to make £30k p.a...or even £20k and that is where
the fun disappears, IMO, as I know they work pretty hard for that sort of money.

'Hard' means up and down the country for gigs... and this country would fit into most U.S states
a few times over..
[/quote]

It's hard and I struggle financially. However I did the 9-5 corporate thing For 28 years. Now it's time for my life on my terms doing something I love for a living for once in my life.

I'd never go back to 9-5ing it.

Blue