Why become a member? ×

"Boys Night Out" Is This The New Niche For Bands?

blue

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1451320514' post='2939536']

But certainly why a lot of them start !
[/quote]

Maybe, however I doubt that's the case for a serious musician with an opportunity with a band making money.

And I think substances and women are more important to younger guys.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451343867' post='2939792']
Maybe, however I doubt that's the case for a serious musician with an opportunity with a band making money.
[/quote]

C'mom....are you saying that Keith Richards, Macca, John Entwistle, [insert famous rocker here], etc didn't for one moment consider the positive effect being in a band would have on their relations with the opposite sex ?

Course they did !

:)

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1451345153' post='2939806']
C'mom....are you saying that Keith Richards, Macca, John Entwistle, [insert famous rocker here], etc didn't for one moment consider the positive effect being in a band would have on their relations with the opposite sex ?
[/quote]

McCartney became the bass player in The Beatles by default. He didn't want to to it. 'None of us wanted to be the bass player. We wanted to be up front. In our minds, it was the fat guy in the group who nearly always played the bass and he stood at the back. We wanted to be up front, singing and looking good, to pull the birds...'

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1451345153' post='2939806']

Course they did !

:)
[/quote]

Yeah, when they We're 17 years old.So did I.But I grew up and how I looked at and positioned myself in music changed.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1451346606' post='2939814']

McCartney became the bass player in The Beatles by default. He didn't want to to it. 'None of us wanted to be the bass player. We wanted to be up front. In our minds, it was the fat guy in the group who nearly always played the bass and he stood at the back. We wanted to be up front, singing and looking good, to pull the birds...'
[/quote]

I always wanted to play bass,and I"ve always been an up front guy with a Mic. I have never been a stand in the back by the drummer guy. Not my thing.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451348818' post='2939821']
Yeah, when they We're 17 years old.So did I.But I grew up and how I looked at and positioned myself in music changed.

Blue
[/quote]

I was trying to illustrate that you saying "I doubt that's the case for a serious musician with an opportunity with a band making money" was a somewhat sweeping statement, but I think we've missed each other's points.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1451351163' post='2939835']

I was trying to illustrate that you saying "I doubt that's the case for a serious musician with an opportunity with a band making money" was a somewhat sweeping statement, but I think we've missed each other's points.
[/quote]

I'm not sure we missed each others point. We look at it from a different viewpoint.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451267031' post='2939235']
We really dont compete with the boys night out bands. And remember typically the boys night out bands don't really want gigs and are rareley persueing them.

Blue
[/quote]

Massive generalisation with which I disagree whole-heartedly. I may only gig 25-30 times a year with one BNO group (blues and classic R&B covers) and less that that with the other (original music), but we still look for gigs. Looking at others playing in the same venues covers and tribute bands do most of the busness while people playing original music are hugely under-represented. Doesn't stop us trying though.

Blue is getting $400 a gig in a 5 piece band playing rock covers; there is nothing in the UK that compares.

To get that kind of money you're looking at weddings and they are seriously hard work if you're in a £2k+ band. It's certainly not rock band territory and it's certainly not 4 hours in a bar.

Boys night out would be happy with $40.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1451404455' post='2940207']
I thought it was typically $500 for a band. I doubt a bar would pay $2k...the waitresses would go ballistic..:lol:
[/quote]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451266438' post='2939234']

True, at the bar band level ,outside of nut cases like me that want to gig all the time it can get tough.

When we we're auditioning drummers when I told them we gig twice a week and more in the summer, they want nothing to do with it.

Guys just don't like that sort of gigging anymore.

Am I the only guy that's still loves gigging and the more gigs the better.

To this day, my favorite days are when we have 2 shows booked at different times on the same day and you've got $800.00 in your wallet from weekend gig money.

Blue
[/quote]

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1451402110' post='2940181']

Massive generalisation with which I disagree whole-heartedly. I may only gig 25-30 times a year with one BNO group (blues and classic R&B covers) and less that that with the other (original music), but we still look for gigs. Looking at others playing in the same venues covers and tribute bands do most of the busness while people playing original music are hugely under-represented. Doesn't stop us trying though.
[/quote]

Doesn't sound like a "boys night out" to me.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1451415829' post='2940327']
Yes, but they aren't going to be bar gigs that pay that.

At that rate the target money would be £20k or $30k p.a per man from a bar band..??
[/quote]

Good point, yeah those were festival and corporate fees.

Blue

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1450480727' post='2933334']
Hi Blue,
No disrespect blue but if you're trying to make a living out of pub gigging then from my experience you've made a bad career choice. [/quote]

Two things.First, we're probably more than a pub band.Second, it's not a choice, this is all there is to me. I don't know how to do anything else.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1451492391' post='2940950']
And then, of course, it depends how much money you need.

The whole idea of retirement mode is you've done with the big spending.

When I retire, the plan is the be able to live on a third to half what I need now.
[/quote]

True, I don't really have any big bills, my mortgage payment is the only big expense I have.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1451403357' post='2940201']
Blue is getting $400 a gig in a 5 piece band playing rock covers; there is nothing in the UK that compares.

To get that kind of money you're looking at weddings and they are seriously hard work if you're in a £2k+ band. It's certainly not rock band territory and it's certainly not 4 hours in a bar.

Boys night out would be happy with $40.

[/quote]

Were a 4 piece. I've learned from you guys there is a big difference between pub gigs and bar gigs.

We're able to get 5 bills, but will take 4 if they give us multiple dates.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1451518590' post='2941276']
5bills each? Or for the band?
[/quote]

5 bills each would be corporate and major festivals. And that's usually for 1.5 hours.Those are really sweet gigs and far and few in between. We had 2 this past summer.

Bar gigs are a $400.00 to $500.00 total for the band.

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1451267031' post='2939235']
We really dont compete with the boys night out bands. And remember typically the boys night out bands don't really want gigs and are rareley persueing them.

Blue
[/quote]

You might be competing with them unless you are paid more, regarded better etc..

Is $500 a blanket fee or is it variable.. as in do some bands get paid more at the same gig.?

Around here, I would say most pubs have £100 difference between the 'top' bands and others for the same hrs
and nights..... even if the venue says this is our limit, they'll pay more if you ask and also think you are worth it.
You can over-cook this angle though... and a LL is far more forgiving of the cheaper bands.
He still might not have them back in a hurry but if you cost them dear...and basically don't proove your worth
in bar sales, the venue remembers these things funnily enough.
And for this reason, I like to take the 'pressure' off and charge just below the money that I feel they will go to.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1451647222' post='2942003']

You might be competing with them unless you are paid more, regarded better etc..

Is $500 a blanket fee or is it variable.. as in do some bands get paid more at the same gig.?

Around here, I would say most pubs have £100 difference between the 'top' bands and others for the same hrs
and nights..... even if the venue says this is our limit, they'll pay more if you ask and also think you are worth it.
You can over-cook this angle though... and a LL is far more forgiving of the cheaper bands.
He still might not have them back in a hurry but if you cost them dear...and basically don't proove your worth
in bar sales, the venue remembers these things funnily enough.
And for this reason, I like to take the 'pressure' off and charge just below the money that I feel they will go to.
[/quote]

In Milwaukee no bar gigs pay more than $500.00. If a band is truely the sole reason the place is packed with people buy premium alcohol it's time for the band to move up from strictly bar gigs.

Blue

Makes sense...
Around here too many bands play too many pubs that the audience can get to for free
to be able to sell tickets.

One or two pubs are more ticket orientated but a lot of bands just can't or wont go there..
It is a lot of pressure selling 100 plus tickets ..so it is easy to stick to pubs.
We've offered pub bands a better than pub fee for a decent gig on the proviso
they try and sell a hundred tickets and we had very very few takers.
The venue held 350 plus so you needed to sell collectively 250 plus...
For that they'd work for 70mins and get £400... but as I said, no takers.
So much so that the venue no pretty much sticks with tribute bands ..or has to.

You have to step up to that level to keep the players as they wont play pubs on
prime nights....
Pay £120 per man and you get a whole load of people willing to play ...

Pubs are too much work for the money but strangely nobody is much interested
in moving away from them..mainly because they don't need to and therefore, IMO,
most pub gigs are little more than boys nights out... I agree.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1451684701' post='2942527']
Makes sense...
IMO,
most pub gigs are little more than boys nights out... I agree.[/quote]

I think were on the same page page, however my band played 76 gigs in 2015. That's far from a boys night out.

Blue