Why become a member? ×

Bass preamp that doesn't colour the tone

Guest MoJo

Delano Sonar Xpure - no eq, just a pure clean buffer with up to 20 dB of boost:

[url]http://delano.de/products.html?&cHash=ff3fe888c0&tx_smtdelano_pi1[cat]=2&tx_smtdelano_pi1[series]=11&tx_smtdelano_pi1[strings]=6&tx_smtdelano_pi1[system]=123[/url]

Or if you want EQ, look at Audere, Glockenklang, or the 'flat' versions of John East's preamps. Not sure if any of these can offer a clean boost like the Xpure though.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1447880496' post='2911259']

Surely the whole point of a pre-amp is to colour the sound?
[/quote]

I like the core tone of my bass but the output is quite low and doesn't drive the front end of my amp in the way I want it too. I'm looking for a preamp to boost the output without altering the tone too much

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1447880845' post='2911263']
Ever single electrical component from the pickup to the speaker will have some effect on the tone.
[/quote]

Yes, but on a passive bass, the lead to the input of the amp (or whatever you plug it in to) have a huge effect on the tone. A preamp stops that and allows you to amplify (and change if required) the original tone of the bass.

Guest bassman7755

Ever single electrical component from the pickup to the speaker will have some effect on the tone.
[/quote]

True strictly speaking but not a very useful generalisation in practice. An well designed op amp based gain boosting circuit will make the signal stronger without introducing any colouration that is detectable by the human ear (unless your an obsessively anal retentive audiophile anyway). Of course using one as an active circuit in the bass may change the tone since it neutralises the colouration effects of other parts of your signal chain such as the capacitive filtering effect of leads.

Edited by bassman7755

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1447938576' post='2911611']
The other option would be a preamp pedal that is pretty transparent when set flat. Any thoughts?
[/quote]

It would work but would of course be one more thing you need to setup, a built in one also has the advantage that your boosting the signal closer to the source so the results will be a little better and more consistent.

If you do go the outboard route there are also some boost pedals on the market with no eq - Carl Martin Hydra Boost is phenomenal on guitar (from personal experience) and has a good reputation for bass from other user reviews. Seymour Duncan Pick-up booster also has a good reputation for bass.

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1447881291' post='2911269']
I like the core tone of my bass but the output is quite low and doesn't drive the front end of my amp in the way I want it too. I'm looking for a preamp to boost the output without altering the tone too much
[/quote]

Can you not just turn up the gain on your amp?

[/quote]
This. The whole idea behind on board pre-amps, originally, was to drive the cable at a lower impedance, so as to reduce the capacitive loss effect. Tone control was an afterthought. Replace cable with wireless - no need for active bass. Ok, you know I only play passives....
;)

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1447983185' post='2912106']

I'd suspect a faulty bass if your input gain needs to be flat out!
[/quote]

Bass is fine just, compared to a similar model fitted with Seymour Duncan SSB5's, the output is lower. I'm looking to increase the output so that I can back the gain off a little