Why become a member? ×

🎸*SOLD* 1979 Precision Bass🎸
£920

Roland Rock

For sale is my beautiful 1979 Fender Precision Bass.

[b][u]In a nutshell[/u][/b]

Lovely bass, refin, thumbrest replaced, everything else original, weight 11lb 4oz
Sounds and plays lush! Comes with a Thomann hardcase.

[b][u]The longer story[/u][/b]

Back in 2001, I spotted this bass on the wall of MOR Music in York, I wasn't looking for a bass, but decided to give it a try. It felt so good to play and sounded so great that I went home, got my Stingray and part exchanged it there and then.

For a decade it was my only gigging bass, helping me play basslines for funk, jazz, function stuff, classic rock, tribute work and reggae. The only problem is that I have become a five string player, and can't seem to gel with a four any more.

This came out of the factory Olympic White, but had been stripped down to the bare ash sometime before I had bought it. It has had a full nitro refin to bring it back to the original factory finish. Full nitro means cellulose paint and lacquer, which not only looks great, but will age most quickly to that yummy custardy yellow over time. There are some very minor swirls and marks in the finish, but nothing really photographable.

I have only adjusted the truss rod once in fourteen years, and that was just to check that it works, which it does. It's a very solid neck which likes to stay in tune whatever the weather. Nice yellowed maple with a tiny bit of flame in one area, and some standard-for-the-age 'ring rash' where lacquer has worn off the fretboard edges over the years.

Frets seem unchanged since I bought it (I play with a light touch) but I had them levelled as part of a service some years ago by The Bass Centre's Chris Ward (tech to many iconic players) who was very complimentary about it.

I have recently cleaned everything up ready for sale, polishing all the chrome, switch cleaner in the pots etc. It is currently wearing a brand new set of SIT 45-105 rounds, but I will also include a set of little-used Status Hotwire flats. Idiot that I am, when I disassembled it for cleaning, I misplaced the thumbrest . I'm sure it's in my shed somewhere, but I'd need take a day to clear it out for a proper look. It is fitted with a replica, but I can forward the original if/when it turns up.

I'm not really interested in trades unless you have a nice non-coffee table Wood & Tronics fretted five string

You are welcome to give it a try – I'm in Nottingham, not far from J26 of the M1
I can wrap it up safely and send it by courier it by courier to mainland UK for £20
If you are further away than that, please ask for a quote

My feedback: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169000-roland-rock/page__st__30__p__2730811__hl__roland%20rock__fromsearch__1#entry2730811"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2730811[/url]

Thanks to my great photographer Emma, and to BC's resident vintage Fender expert Rick's Fine 52 for helping to corroborate serial numbers/dates

Edited by Roland Rock