Why become a member? ×

Dilemma - What would you do?

Guest MoJo

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1447183432' post='2905666']
I've contacted the seller to let him know that I wish to return the bass. I will post his response.
[/quote]

More than 24 hours, no response

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1447516527' post='2908262']
Have you opened a dispute with eBay? If you haven't, I suggest you do. That should get his attention.

....and be patient. Don't start pulling bits off it otherwise you won't get your money back!
[/quote]

I've tried to open a dispute but I keep ending up with a message which basically tells me that, because I paid cash for the item, it's not covered by ebay's returns policy and to contact the seller. I don't think I will get my money back but I'm still not sure as to whether to sell it as a project, part it out or have a go at repairing it myself

It is a write-off for write-off money. Use it as a 'project' or it'll end up in the bin anyway.

If you are interested in that sort of thing, see if you can put another neck on.

I understand that it is rotten way to conduct business but what did you expect for £150..??/ IIRC..

And leave a £150 loss worth of e-bay feedback..?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1447525992' post='2908376']
If you are interested in that sort of thing, see if you can put another neck on.
[/quote]
[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1447160074' post='2905339']
Might struggle with that, being a thru neck and all.
[/quote]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1447525992' post='2908376']
I understand that it is rotten way to conduct business but what did you expect for £150..??
[/quote]

£150 or £1500, if there's no mention of a truss rod issue, I don't expect there to be an issue. These basses were close to £500 new and are only so cheap second hand because that's the current market value. I have the matching 5 string Cirrus BXP which I also paid £145 for and is in perfect working order. The build quality is higher than the £1800 Rickenbacker 4003 that I owned

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1447171799' post='2905514']
The truss rod is quite deeply inset, impossible to access with a dremel. I had considered cutting a small length off an allen key and gluing it in the socket with a strong epoxy
[/quote]
This is definately worth trying as a non invasive solution - I would use chemical metal rather than regular two pack epoxy for glueing duties, and it would be important to sleeve the trussrod nut to prevent issues with excess adeshive squeezeout. The worst case scenario (assuming you are careful and don't glue everything solid by failing to control squeezeout) is that you discover that the truss rod nut was rounded off as a result of a different mechanical issue - if the nut was rounded of as a combined result of soft material, badly fitting allen key and hamfisted cranking with the bass tuned to pitch then you'll have restored full operation.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1447578793' post='2908577']
£150 or £1500, if there's no mention of a truss rod issue, I don't expect there to be an issue. These basses were close to £500 new and are only so cheap second hand because that's the current market value. I have the matching 5 string Cirrus BXP which I also paid £145 for and is in perfect working order. The build quality is higher than the £1800 Rickenbacker 4003 that I owned
[/quote]

But again, why was it £150... ? that is firewood money even if £500 new... as distribution retail would possibly be half that.
I sympathise that you were sold a dud, and hope you get your money sorted...and the deal sounds not at all good, but I would
think a bass for that money is worth having even without the truss rod issue.

I've never thought Rickenbakers were the benchmark in build quality and they had the same issues with mile high action on banana necks.

But yes, I agree the bass should be returned...

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1448132351' post='2913271']
Nice an easy job there Mark :) You'll have it up and running in no time,I hear you're playing it at a gig next week :D
[/quote]

Yeah...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't you just of put slightly oversized flat screwdriver in and gently tapped it in and turned it?. This does work although it's not a proper fix.
Looks like the iron method did a decent job.
Have you finished the repair?

And regarding the seller not many people would touch or even know about a truss rod so likely didn't know. It's up to a buyer to fully inspect and be satisfied

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1448218846' post='2913782']

And regarding the seller not many people would touch or even know about a truss rod so likely didn't know. It's up to a buyer to fully inspect and be satisfied
[/quote]

"people" wouldnt, i would wager most musicians, especially ones selling a bass that was £500 quid new would know what a truss rod is.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1448346553' post='2914568']

Disagree completely. The seller doesn't have to know about the fault to be liable. There doesn't have to be guilty knowledge here. By your rationale, there are 101 checks you should perform to be sure that the instrument is fully functional and that's just not practical.

Moot point now though as its in bits.
[/quote]

I do agree with you in ways. I just think you have a responsibility to question everything. I agree a seller should be honest. But what if a seller really does not have a clue, who's responsibility is it is another debate.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1448379565' post='2914915']

"people" wouldnt, i would wager most musicians, especially ones selling a bass that was £500 quid new would know what a truss rod is.
[/quote]

Not true look at how many people on here don't understand a truss rod or fully understand setup. This applies to most instruments. It's only a small percentage that actually know about things, most luthiers work is indeed setup and adjusting a truss rod.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1448416748' post='2915315']
It doesn't matter if the seller was aware of the fault. If the fact is that the fault was present when the buyer collected it, then the seller is liable. Proving it may not be without its problems, but I would have given it a bloody good go. We wouldn't even be discussing this if the buyer had been able to pay through PayPal as eBay would have refunded and debited it back from the seller. Quite rightly so in my opinion.

I'm not even sure sellers can insist on cash payment. Doesn't that violate T's & C's?
[/quote]

Sorry, but I disagree with this. The law on purchases is very simple and very clear....It says 'Buyer Beware', i.e. it is the buyer's responsibility to check that what they are buying is satisfactory. If the seller misrepresented something about the item that is a totally different situation; but you can't expect the seller to know every last thing about an item, especially if it is something as deeply hidden as a truss rod on a bass.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1448457352' post='2915564']
Sorry, but I disagree with this. The law on purchases is very simple and very clear....It says 'Buyer Beware', i.e. it is the buyer's responsibility to check that what they are buying is satisfactory. If the seller misrepresented something about the item that is a totally different situation; but you can't expect the seller to know every last thing about an item, especially if it is something as deeply hidden as a truss rod on a bass.
[/quote]

Not according to the 2015 Consumer Rights Act and many predecessors.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1447151277' post='2905224']
I recently bought a Peavey Cirrus BXP 4 from a local Ebay seller. Collected the bass and paid cash (big mistake). When I got it home, I felt it had got too much relief in the neck for me so, I removed the truss rod cover to give the rod a tweak. To my dismay, I found that the hexagonal socket in the end of the rod had been rounded out. I took the bass to my local luthier who tried a number of different tools to turn the rod but alas, he concluded that it wouldn't move and that the fretboard would need removing to replace the trussrod, a fact that Peavey Technical confirmed. As the lacquered finish on the through-neck extends over the edges of the fretboard, the neck would also need refinishing. My luthier estimated that it was likely to cost around £200 for the repair. As I only paid £147 for the bass, it doesn't seem worth paying £200 to get it fixed, I could just buy another.

I contacted the seller who, as I expected, knew nothing about a problem with the trussrod and as I paid cash, I don't have any recourse through Ebay.

I have been watching videos on Youtube showing fretboard removal using a steam iron and pallette knife / scraper. I've considered having a go myself but I'm justifiably nervous as I could end up with a pile of firewood.

What would you do?
[/quote]

Multi-clustered run around. Drop it and learn from this experience. Don't do ebay when it comes to a bass.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1448614652' post='2916795']

I think it would be a sad place indeed if it came to this. I've had some excellent purchases through eBay for a heck of a lot more than £147 and for things that have a lot more to go wrong on them than a bass guitar. It's not eBay that's flawed (accepting the fees are on the high side), it's some of the assholes that use it. Not that it's much use now, but I'm sure a seller cannot insist on a cash payment. If it were true, no one would ever have any protection and would lose every dispute because of it.
[/quote]

You can arrange a cash sale on eBay. I've done this many times both buying and selling. if I see something I like I offer cash but I minus there eBay fees so it's cheaper for me normally and they get a hassle free cash sale. Doing it this way you better check out what your buying though as certainly no comebacks. I'm a honest seller but I would expect a buyer to inspect and test an item before hand. When it comes to checking truss rods I always check relief anymore than .15 and I will test the rod anything under I will just check the rod end for damage. Bit of a pain on some basses.
You can't insist on a cash payment but many advertise cash on collection.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1448629774' post='2916964']

I'm well aware of the pros and cons of cash transactions on eBay, but the listing for the actual bass relating to this thread stated "cash only".
[/quote]

Yes you can state cash only, though you do have to offer pp, but you can refuse to take it.