Why become a member? ×

Bass purchase - Is it fake?

CyberBass

Just thought I would jump is as I have given the bass a once over, I am sure it is a Mike Dirnt (2004) but the neck is a bit of an abortion it has badly warped and the truss rod rod is maxed out the action at the 12th fret went off my action gauge and that goes up to 7mm :o you could fire arrows from it lol the neck had also been very badly finished there were huge lacquer runs all over it the heel had very badly sanded to fit in the neck pocket and there were a few other bits regarding condition of the bass it really was in a VERY bad condition no way is it a shop demo bass in the state it was in. Anyhow none of that matters as the necked is totally buggered so I am sure paypal will come good for you in getting a refund :) I am just sorry your NBD was a let down.

I know Paypal gets a bad rap from time to time, but when I am purchasing online I insist on using Paypal. The reason being is that when an Ebay purchase went belly up for me in the past, Paypal got stuck in straight away and the issue was resolved to my satisfaction.

To the OP, really sorry for the mess you are in with that bass, but I reckon Paypal will sort it out.

The thing is, that being based in Ireland, i would be really curious as to what shop sold this to you . There are not many quality guitar stores left over here, and those that I am familiar with are straight up to do business with and have to be in order to compete with Thoman etc IME.

Edited by leroydiamond

I have a question to ask : is the seller still on eBay ? Not thrown off since this transaction?
The reason I ask , is because I have a similar experience of a dodgy seller .

A few years ago I bought a few rare CDs from someone on eBay . Great transaction .
There was a list of other CDs to buy if I wanted to , which was sent in a letter enclosed with my purchases.
Anyway, just before I agreed to buy additional CDs , I had a message from eBay saying that the seller has been booted off of eBay , for some dodgy doings. I went ahead ( my own fault). I lost £6 . Could've been a lot worse . I don't think I used PayPal . If I did , I doubt if they would hello me , as I was warned by eBay , plus I agreed purchase off eBay .

My feeling is that , the seller of the bass on this topic has done a runner , and will be chucked off eBay . The op used PayPal which should mean he gets money back.
Fingers crossed

I've had to do a big claim via paypal around a year ago - not for a bass mind, it was a dodgy PC that my other half purchased. Just be sure to keep an eye on their communications with you as I recall they gave me a very small window of time to provide proof of the defects and so forth. Something like 48 hours between asking for it and the deadline for submission if I recall. However, so long as you jump through their often annoying hoops you should get a full refund from them. In my case they just left the PC with me so I assume the same will happen with you - you just get the cash back and do what you will with the bass.

The seller has ten days to respond, 4 days so far without response, if he doesn't bother to respond PayPal refund in full, so fingers crossed. If the bass doesn't have to be returned then I can part it out or sell it as a project I guess. Happy to return it also but I suspect it would be at my cost.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='CyberBass' timestamp='1447927655' post='2911479']
The good news is I was refunded the full amount. The bass did not need to be returned, so I will be posting on the forum in for sale section the fender tuners, bad ass 2 bridge, pick ups and the body.
[/quote]

I'm pleased you got a refund, and I don't mean to make a personal criticism here, and I do understand that's the ebay position; but it seems to me somehow not quite right not to return the goods.

I can see that one might argue the seller deserves it or that there is the problem of the cost of return but nonetheless I remain uncomfortable about it.

Maybe because I've heard stories of others losing the goods and the payment when they are on the selling side of the fence, so to speak.

Agreed. My first reaction too.

The gentlemanly thing to do would be to contact the seller and see what he says bfore you sell anything, or at the least offer to spilt the proceeds with him.

Dont know if it was him or ebay but someone was bending over backwards to treat you right here.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1447950553' post='2911779']
I'm pleased you got a refund, and I don't mean to make a personal criticism here, and I do understand that's the ebay position; but it seems to me somehow not quite right not to return the goods.

I can see that one might argue the seller deserves it or that there is the problem of the cost of return but nonetheless I remain uncomfortable about it.

Maybe because I've heard stories of others losing the goods and the payment when they are on the selling side of the fence, so to speak.
[/quote]the fact that the seller is refusing to enter into negotiation means he deserves all he gets, all he had to do was offer a refund on return, doesn't even have to offer postage

Not only is the seller not entering into conversation but the PayPal invoice he gave didn't have a complete address and a Google search didn't turn up the company or address. The mobile he gave no longer is contactable I suspect I am blocked. He isn't responding to emails, and as far as PayPal are concerned the case is closed. I feel I've gone above and beyond trying.

Edited by CyberBass

[quote name='CyberBass' timestamp='1447956039' post='2911851']
Not only is the seller not entering into conversation but the PayPal invoice he gave didn't have a complete address and a Google search didn't turn up the company or address. The mobile he gave no longer is contactable I suspect I am blocked. He isn't responding to emails, and as far as PayPal are concerned the case is closed. I feel I've gone above and beyond trying.
[/quote]

I think I'd have to agree with you in this case, though under different circumstances I'd have returned the goods.

Sad when things go this way - but if the seller is selling under false pretenses - they deserve all they get. Hopefully they will be kicked of ebay, and will find their other (assuming there are other) scams less than profitable. The important thing is you got your money back - I'd look into fixing up the bass / parting it out to cover some of the time/cost you spent in this debacle.

Edited by PlungerModerno