Why become a member? ×

Envelope filters - recommendations please!

Shaggy

In 31 years of bass-playing I’ve only ever had one effects pedal – a Boss bass flanger, briefly used it for covering “Dancing in the Moonlight”, and gave it to a mate.
However, always fancied a decent envelope filter for doing some funk, the only one I’ve heard of is the Mutron. Any recommendations for a tidy pedal or rack unit? Don’t really want a multi unit like the Pod XT etc as I’d probably only use 0.0000000001% of its functions, but if that was the best solution then fine.
Sorry if this has been covered before! :)

There are loads though

Theres the DOD fx25, Qtron, Chunk agent 00funk, moog low pass filter (those are my favorites besides the mu-tron)

and whichever multi-unit you could get, the envelope sounds will suck compared to the stompboxes.

And yes, higgie is selling a mu-tron that I would have bought if I had £350. Good price I reckon, with the power supply an all!

Edited by Duarte

I didn't get on with the DOD FX25, but I did like the Ashdown filter, and it's cheap.

Edit; £350 for an effects pedal is madness to me, I just don't understand why stuff like the Deep Impact for instance commands such mad prices, after all, it's just a bleedin effects pedal.

Edited by Rayman

My fave filter so far is probably the XT pro one, but have not tried many. I hate filters that whistle out on the low notes - the fx25 and the xt pro in particular do a lovely 'squelch' instead. With these sorts of things I find it nice to have a 'do it all' effects unit so you never need anything else, if you are not big on effects like me. That way you have it all if you need it or fancy a play, but don't have the hassle of plugging in and setting up little boxes.

Oh and I have an XT for sale lol ;0)

ped

Thanks fellas, really useful stuff here. I’d really love Higgie’s Mutron – always prefer the old and authentic option with gear (or as Mrs Shaggy prefers to call it; festering pile of old junk), but hard to justify that amount of dosh – I guess it may be the Pod after all, especially as I’ll no doubt think of some other effect I can’t possibly live without.
:) Hmmmmmmmmm……….

[quote name='tauzero' post='280887' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:15 AM']How's your soldering? You could always build a [url="http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=112&Itemid=26"]Mutron replica[/url]...[/quote]
Dude, you may have found the perfect solution! I'm totally crap - I have the scorch-marks on my fingers to prove it - but my brother is a whizz at it (he's an electronics engineer with Siemens), in fact he built my very first amp all those years ago - it blew up the cab (2 speakers pilfered from my Dad's old radiogram mounted in an old wooden TV carcass) but that wasn't his fault.
Nice one! :)

[quote name='Shaggy' post='280906' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:34 AM']Dude, you may have found the perfect solution! I'm totally crap - I have the scorch-marks on my fingers to prove it - but my brother is a whizz at it (he's an electronics engineer with Siemens), in fact he built my very first amp all those years ago - it blew up the cab (2 speakers pilfered from my Dad's old radiogram mounted in an old wooden TV carcass) but that wasn't his fault.
Nice one! :)[/quote]

One of the first reasons why I became a fan of EBS....

[url="http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/bassiq.htm"]http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/bassiq.htm[/url]

Hi,

When it comes to envelope filters I would offer the following advise - these are only my thoughts and opinions and not written in stone!

EBS Bass IQ - Excellent filter and the best of all that I have owned over the years. Great for getting the funky squelch and never loses the bottom end frequencies either which is really important with filter pedals.

Dod FX25 - Hated this pedal, sound was not that funky and when it was used in a live situation the bottom end dropped out completely. I know Flea used one but just no good for me.

Maxon AF9 - A pretty good filter but just not quite as funky as the EBS. You can get these 2nd hand for about £70 so probably has the edge price wise on the EBS stuff.

EHX Bassballs - Apparently this was designed by the guy that made the Mutron but I could not get a sound like that out of it. Not bad but just not as good as some of the others!

Mutron III - This is supposed to be the daddy of all of them and everyone who has one raves about them. I have never played one and would dearly love to own one but the £300 upwards price tag has always put me off. I just cannot justify that on one pedal.

Chunk Systems Agent 00 Funk - This sounds great on their website and Bootsy Collins uses one so it must be funky but again this going for £300ish so certainly not a cheap option.

Lovetone Meatball - Nick Fyffe used one when he was with Jamiroquai and you can hear it on Live at Montreaux DVD on Blow Your Mind I think and it sounds great. They are not made anymore so the price has gone up but still a good option.

Line 6 BassPod XTLive - This did have a good emulation of the Mutron but I found the whole thing so complicated to use that I just went back to stomp boxes!

Hope some of this may help you with your decision. If it was me I would take the easy option and go for the EBS Bass IQ. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Shaggy' post='280879' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:07 AM']Thanks fellas, really useful stuff here. I’d really love Higgie’s Mutron – always prefer the old and authentic option with gear (or as Mrs Shaggy prefers to call it; festering pile of old junk), but hard to justify that amount of dosh – I guess it may be the Pod after all, especially as I’ll no doubt think of some other effect I can’t possibly live without.
:) Hmmmmmmmmm……….[/quote]

[quote name='Toasted' post='281127' date='Sep 10 2008, 02:50 PM']It's worth noting that they don't make the Optocouplers used in the Mutron anymore as they had Cadmium in them. I don't really like the sound of the newer ones, there's also the HAZ which I don't think is very good either. As ever, YMMV.[/quote]

As Toasted said about the Cadmium, if you built a Mutron clone, it would sound like an envelope filter, but wouldn't sound anywhere near as good as the Original.

Aren't Mutrons notoriously noisy? (just heard - never experienced one in the flesh so to speak)

As for the Agent00Funk... it's good... but works better on guitar. I've got one and it's on permanent loan to a guitarist in a band that I am in. Bass IQ is better for bass IMHO - especially the newer version with the extra trim pots on the board.

Would love to have a session with the Guyatone Ultra thing... and of course there is the new Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer thingy coming along...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Higgie' post='281311' date='Sep 10 2008, 06:29 PM']The Mutron isn't noisy in the slightest! I've currently got two, and neither of them have any bad noise problems.[/quote]

Now that is just greedy :)

I've had a few Mutrons, had a real good one which I regret selling sooooo much, then had a crap one which I got from the US, it had to go back.

Had a newer Mutron, whilst it ain't as good as the real thing, they are far better than a lot of other filters out there.

EBS Bass IQ is great, one of the best £100 (ish)options out there

Here good things about the Maxon, but never played one

Mooger Fooger LP is nice, stick an exp' pedal in for more versatility and some serious sub bass rumbles. Needs to be in a loop cos this things sucks tone like ten tone sucking things on a tone sucking day out

Q-tron - first filter I had, thought it was great until I tried a few others.

Dod FX 25 is nice for chucking in a quick squelchy kinda burst, not for prolonged use due to lack of bottom end

Would have a Bass IQ, Moogger Fooger LP in a loooooper or an origanil Mutron if I had some spaer $$, would also like to give a MeatBall a squeeze, but the abundance of controls is off putting

One thing to remember about EF's, it ain't a simple as twiddling the knobs to make it work, you gotta play the pedal!!

Doug knows how!

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

Nice one - let us know how you get on with it?

I have never used one but was waiting in the wings if you didn't take the one of Higgie!!!

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Shaggy' post='285746' date='Sep 17 2008, 12:19 PM']A big thanks for all the great posts on this; just to wrap it up, I went for Higgie’s original Mutron, hopefully coming soon.
So now skint AND about to get cadmium poisoning! But vintage cool maintained :)[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='285862' date='Sep 17 2008, 01:55 PM']Nice one - let us know how you get on with it?

I have never used one but was waiting in the wings if you didn't take the one of Higgie!!!

Cheers

Mark[/quote]
Will do Mark, although TBH I've got nothing to compare it to!