Why become a member? ×

The Foo Fighters - are they THAT good?

spectoremg

My view is that you can have 4..or even more... to pick from but only play 2 per gig.

Don't care who it is... that is a general rule.

IMO, too many bands are too lazy with their set lists..and give them no thought at all
and so there should be no lack of numbers to choose from if the imaginmation or even a little thought is there.

I have nothing against them and of course would love a fraction of the success they've had, but there's something about their songs that's missing for me. Too formulaic. They do it well, though. But then I'm probably a bit old to be in their target audience... I think they are lacking an element of good old rock 'n roll 'danger' for want of a better word - they're just too [i]nice[/i]. Where are the drugs, the girls, the trashed cars and hotel rooms, the guns? The other problem is, I don't really rate Nate that much. I would surely have loved to be in the right place at the right time, too. ;)

Of course in the end all that 'badass' stuff is mainly just posturing and mythologising - even in bands that are known for it - and if I were cynical (which I am) I'd say all that is just part of their marketing. So are the Foos more 'honest', then? If so, it does them no favours.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1446669428' post='2901404']
I have nothing against them and of course would love a fraction of the success they've had, but there's something about their songs that's missing for me. Too formulaic. They do it well, though. But then I'm probably a bit old to be in their target audience... I think they are lacking an element of good old rock 'n roll 'danger' for want of a better word - they're just too [i]nice[/i]. Where are the drugs, the girls, the trashed cars and hotel rooms, the guns?
[/quote]

I could understand Dave Grohl being less enamored of those bits of the rock n'roll mythology after Kurt Cobain went the way he did. I mean, once you've seen that lifestyle reach its logical conclusion, what is left? I suspect Grohl is a lot happier with becoming middle-aged than if he hadn't got there!

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Cliched as hell, but I loved the first 4 albums. They were my favourite band in that era and then somewhere around 'In Your Honour' they turned into MOR stadium rock by numbers borefest that they are today. Shame really. Still respect them tremendously however and Dave Grohl is a legend.

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1446666910' post='2901382']
No. I like Dave Grohl immesenly, but Foo Fighters are my idea of hell.

I loved Nirvana, but Foo Fighters seem like the kind of band Kurt would have despised. Nirvana even had a song called 'Radio Friendly Unit Shifter', which pretty well sums up the Foos for me.

Didn't they sign a multi-million pound deal with Warmart for them to have exclusive rights to one of their newer albums and merchandise?

Each to their own though.
[/quote]The kind of band Kurt would have despised - I reckon you're right there.

I thought Sonic Highway was brilliant too, but I always turned it off when The Foo's played the track they'd recorded for that episode; formulaic and dull. And I've always thought Dave Grohl was ever-so slightly keen to say the right things about the right landmark bands or artists - convenient like.

I find the foo fighters patchy . I have the first:3 albums , but a lot of fillers in the way of the good stuff. Th colour album was the last one I purchased. Ever long and monkey wrench are my faves . Can't stand the song that's played everywhere 'all my life '.
I find the foo fighters are exposed too much atm for my liking . Fantastic musicians tho '

The guitarist in my last band , was trying to put a few of their songs in our setlist.
2 was more than enough . Then you had sex on fire / californication. Thank the Lord the band imploded

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1446715303' post='2901609']

Didn't there drummer have a long problem with heroin? An overdose or two I think

I do think the first album is really good, and not particularly "formulaic"
[/quote]

Certainly did. Taylor Hawkins - overdosed in London and spent about a month in a private hospital. I believe it took him about 2 weeks to come around, and Grohl talks about sitting by the bed throughout that time, scared he was going to die. They seem the closest out of all the band members (drummers club), and thankfully he's grown out of all the Rock and Roll excess bullshit now. Great drummer too.

Edited by The Admiral

Well, today I heard for the first time (on Planet Rock) The Foo fighters cover of Baker Street (yes, that one)

I saw the Foos at Wembley a while back and I must say they were great. Really entertaining and full of energy, with great songs to boot. Their cover of Baker Street however, is utter sh*t and should be banned. Overplayed MOR pop that it is, it's a classic and well written song. If I heard a band play it like this in a pub, I'd walk. An absolute mess, played really badly.

I sincerely hope they did it for a laugh rather than think they had something to offer this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO1qcWa6blQ

Here it is.

Saw nirvana at the Astoria on the bleach tour iirc. I think they had 2 guitarists , They weren't very good TBH . Kurt loves to repeat a chorus doesn't he?
Then the hype came with never mind . Didn't buy that album for ages after its release. Saw them on an added date at the Kilburn national, and they rocked big time.
I have no intention of going to a foo gig . I saw them play a gig at Wembley on tv a few years back. ( something about the environment ?)
Ok, nothing special,.
Oh, and times like these irritates me also.

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE