Why become a member? ×

Could I have some help please chaps? :)

Evil Undead

Hi guys

I've finally ordered my new amp, and it arrives tomorrow. But I'm a goon and didn't realise it only takes a Speakon, and I've only got 1/4" jack speaker cables.

I've ordered the right lead, but it's gonna take a few days to arrive - I'm excited to try out the new head!

Will this do, in the meantime?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/neutrik-na4ljx-speakon-to-635mm-mono-jack-adapter-n25aj

Thanks in advance :)

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1445322970' post='2890475']
Some speakon sockets have 1/4 jack sockets in the middle of them
[/quote]

yep, it should have "combo" written on it somewhere if it does.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1445295397' post='2890442']
Hi guys

I've finally ordered my new amp, and it arrives tomorrow. But I'm a goon and didn't realise it only takes a Speakon, and I've only got 1/4" jack speaker cables.

I've ordered the right lead, but it's gonna take a few days to arrive - I'm excited to try out the new head!

Will this do, in the meantime?

[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/neutrik-na4ljx-speakon-to-635mm-mono-jack-adapter-n25aj"]http://www.maplin.co...k-adapter-n25aj[/url]

Thanks in advance :)
[/quote]

Yes, these are brilliant just to keep in the gig bag anyway. Mine does get used especially on those occasions that I 'have' to borrow a cabinet with my own heads.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1445295672' post='2890446']
Should be fine as long as you're using a speaker lead rather than a instrument lead....!
[/quote]

I'd heard this too. But just wondering why, and what would happen if you used an instrument lead?

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1445423420' post='2891305']
I'd heard this too. But just wondering why, and what would happen if you used an instrument lead?
[/quote]

Like all things electrical there is the right sized cable for the job.

Instrument leads are designed to carry small signals, i.e. miilivolts and milliamps.

Power amps output large signals, i.e. tens of volts and several amps and need appropriate sized cables.

By using an instrument lead to connect an amp to a speaker cabinet you potentially run the risk of overloading the conductors, burning out the cable and short-circuiting the amplifiers output stage which results in silence, blue smoke, a smell of burning insulation and a hefty repair bill.

Does this apply to extension speakers from combos as well? I suspect I've been using a short instrument lead to connect the ext cab from my Trace combo for I don't know how many years with no issues though I'm not absolutely certain it's not a speaker lead.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1445427062' post='2891336']
Does this apply to extension speakers from combos as well? I suspect I've been using a short instrument lead to connect the ext cab from my Trace combo for I don't know how many years with no issues though I'm not absolutely certain it's not a speaker lead.
[/quote]

Yes it does. The power stage of a combo is the same as the power stage of a head or a stand-alone power amp. They should all use twin-core cable of an appropriate cross-sectional area conductor. You might just find that by using the right sort of cable improves your tone.

Cheers Dave, ought to look into this . As it happens the one I use is overdue replacing anyway as the outer case of one end got damaged when the ext cab (which is deeper than the combo on top) got banged up against a wall in a small venue. Could really do with a right angled connector on one end (if not both) so its sits more flush with the cab and doesn't stick out so much, might put an order your way when I get chance.

Just as a visual comparison here are 4 types of cable.

Top left is 4-sq.mm. speaker cable

Bottom left is 2.5-sq.mm. speaker cable

Top right is Klotz AC110 instrument cable

Bottom right is Vandamme Classic instrument cable.

I wouldn't/couldn't run a 100-watt light bulb of either of the instrument cables so why would anyone think they could run a 500-watt amplifier with them.

The 2.5-sq.mm. speaker cable is great for guitars and adequate for bass however the 4-sq.mm. which is designed for sub-woofers, has a considerably lower resistance which helps keep the amplifier's damping factor high and allows to amp tighter control of the drivers.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1445423420' post='2891305']
[/quote]

We had one set on fire at a gig once when it had been erroneously plugged into a monitor :shok:

The photo is useful and confirms that unless it has a label on it you wouldn't know which was which (if they were all black) without cutting an end off, the outer thickness isn't really a guide as it could be a thin inner core with a lot of shielding and a chunky rubber outer.

Edited by KevB

That last comment re monitors, - it depends what kind of monitors you're using. Sure - a desk to powered monitor can be an instrument lead but you could just as easily have unpowered monitors and need to run a speaker lead from whatever power amp you're using in the run.