Why become a member? ×

Bad treatment?

roceci

I think what you're missing is what he thinks it's worth and what you think it's worth are different things and hence you're coming from different angles.

If you thought the bass was worth £500, and the amp £400, and paid him an extra £100. Then you're happy.

If he thought the bass was worth £600 and the amp £400 but rather than argue and sour the deal, accepted your valuation. Moves on and tries to get his extra £100 by selling the amp for £500.

It's not necessarily being underhand or devious. It's just doing a deal where you both get what you're after.

The alternative was possibly for him to do a straight swap, sell the amp for what he paid you for it and lose out on the £200.

These things happen, and it's happened to me a few times. I used to moan about it, usually in a thread on here, and then I found that moaning about it just prolonged the frustration!

Most of what's written above - and from both perspectives - is pretty much spot on. And that's the problem really, it's not right or wrong but simply differing values. You wouldn't do it, he would. Doesn't make you right and doesn't make him wrong. Had you got your bass only to find it not as described, that would have made him wrong.

When stuff like this happened my Granddad always used to say 'Worse things happen at sea'. No idea what the hell he was on about to be honest, and as he was in the RAF it always struck as a little odd, but I think the sentiment was "forget it and get on with something else" :)

Bleedin ell. Let's say the guy reckoned the amp is worth £500. And used the shortfall to get me to part with more cash than I offered initially - which was only just under his asking price. Then the guy is suddenly selling the amp at £650 which he obviously thought it was worth initially. There's your deviousness. That is my point.

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1443621152' post='2876326']
Whilst I respect everyone's opinions, it's nice to see the odd contributor who agrees on the community spirit angle. Like I say, with that gone we're knackered. On here, in everyday life.
[/quote]

There's a saying we use at work: [i]"There's no 'I' in Team... but there's always a 'C***' in Community".[/i]

I think Basschat offers one of the most genuine and trustworthy communities of this type, certainly that I've come across. But like any form of online gathering, there's always going to be some people (thankfully a minority) who don't "share the love" in the same way as others.

Don't take your experience as being indicative of the masses on here. The vast majority folks on BC are good eggs... albeit some of them are a little scrambled ;)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1443612647' post='2876182']

If everyone's happy then what's the problem? Once the deal is done the guy can do what the hell he likes with the amp. The sales forums on here are paid for by the people who use them via a subscription so it's a commercial enterprise. The idea of buying something and then selling it at a profit is what western (and increasingly eastern) industrialised civilisation is based on, for better or worse. You don't complain about shops buying stuff and selling it, do you? This is no different.

Again, the classified forums here are run to make money for the forum owners, so what's wrong with someone buying something here then selling it again? Everyone was happy with the deal initially, so what happens after that is irrelevant, surely? This isn't a bloody hippy commune, it's buying and selling. If you want a certain price for something then hold out for it, don't sell cheap then get sniffy if someone else does different.
[/quote]peace man..✌️

I am confused by the argument, had the buyer of the amp then immediately put it back out for sale for £2.000.000 you would just have thought he was plain crazy but because he is trying to sell it for a bit more than he gave you for it then he is devious?

I would hate to think how many times I have part exchanged gear to music shops that I have done loads of business with over the years knowing full well they are asking more than they paid for the item I want and are offering me a lot less then they are going to sell the item I am trading in...if that makes sense!

If I am happy with the deal offered then all well and good if I am not then I don't do the deal.

I traded a Patrick Eggle Milan bass some years back, I got a £500 Telecaster Custom in the deal, for the following 3 years that bass hung on the wall of the shop with a £1200 price tag against it....I was never annoyed at the price they were asking I was quite pleased that no one was unfortunate enough to be the new owner of what was a truly lousy bass!

I think the OPs point refers more to community members who you wouldn't necessarily expect to act in the way you would expect a music shop to.

I am constantly amazed at some of the generous deals available on these boards, people generally happy to sell on gear for roughly what they paid rather
than looking to turn a profit. If all of us were to act in the manner the OPs trader did then the basschat boards would wind up a much less attractive and
friendly place to trade our gear.

Edited by Subbeh

A similar thing happened to me on a facebook group a few months ago.... Traded my double bass for a jazz bass he valued at £350, I reckon my db was about the same, maybe a little bit less. Two weeks later my db is back for sale at £850! I felt the same as you, peeved but not exactly worried as I had a bass that I thought was ok. I sold the bass a few weeks later as it didn't excite me too much and I wanted a Markbass cab which was £350 new. Got £320 for the bass, delivered it to Bromsgrove and went straight round to Bass Direct and bought the cab....Happy days! I think he sold the db for £400 eventually....

I expect that kind of thing from FB, but if it had been a basschatter I might have been a bit more pee'd off....

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1443647468' post='2876668']
What am I to do mate? Name the guy & get slagged for calling someone out publicly? I took a decision not to based on that. Bit of an assumption there buddy & the wrong one I'm afraid.
[/quote]
[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1443647658' post='2876669']
& if anyone's got the time & inclination to get all Columbo & put the pieces together...well I wish I had as much spare time on my hands. You his mate or something?
[/quote]

Not sure how relevant this is, but about 10 years ago I bought an Ovation USA acoustic bass from eBay for, IIRC around £450. It was a bargain and one of the reasons it sold cheap in the auction was that it was collection only in a bloody remote area. So, I booked a day off, paid my £100 or so train fare to collect it, and then forked out close to another £100 on a hard case. About 6 months later I realised that it hadn't lived up to expectation and listed it on the old BC site for what it owed me, that is around £600, which was still well under 50% retail at the time (in fact they were around £1500 if you could find one). Lo and behold, a member started PM'ing me telling me I was being unethical and was profiteering. Whilst I found it slightly unnerving that someone was paying so much attention to my buying and selling, I wasn't overly worried, until it became clear that he was bitching about me to other members, suggesting I was dodgy and was only buying stuff to make a profit at the expense of other members.

And my point is.....? It's no-one's business but the person who own's it and who's selling it. None of us know all of the factors involved, and even if there are none, so what? You ask above whether you should name the guy? Of course not, because he's done nothing wrong. He's just upset you a little bit, and now you're just whining.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1443646531' post='2876652']
All a bit passive aggressive isn't it?
You've put enough detail in so anyone reading your post can work out who you're on about but decided to moan here rather than have a word with the basschatter directly or leave feedback - poor show!
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1443646531' post='2876652']
All a bit passive aggressive isn't it?
You've put enough detail in so anyone reading your post can work out who you're on about but decided to moan here rather than have a word with the basschatter directly or leave feedback - poor show!
[/quote]

Indeed, wasn't hard to work out which bass you have - looks lovely, nice maple board - and what amp is for sale.

The thing is, in the amp sale add, the guy openly says he doesn't need a new amp, but got it in a trade and is trying the recoup the difference between what he traded the bass for and what he wanted for it. Hardly a first round here.