Why become a member? ×

Mccartneys bass palayign on Something - Wow!!

markdavid

Hi

After a long break from playing i have started playing again :) One of the basslines I wanted to nail is Mccartneys bass playing on the song Something by The Beatles.
To try and learn the bass part I have been playing along with the isolated bass track and stopping and notating.
Ive got to say that anybody who ever thought his playing was overrated really needs to try and learn this part, I had to stop and have a break after about the 2 min mark it was wearing me out lol and just when you feel that your getting close to nailing the bass part he throws in a new syncopation,deliberately skips a note and just basically plays something completely unexpected, pure genius.
And to think George Harrison didn't like his part part on this song.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1443368339' post='2874162']
I can understand a guitarist saying it's too busy but not a bass player, how dare you sir
[/quote]

Ha...

I'm very much with GH on this one. It sounds to me like an early take that Macca's hoyed all his ideas in, and hasn't got around to editing what's needed and what isn't.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443375678' post='2874227']

Ha...

I'm very much with GH on this one. It sounds to me like an early take that Macca's hoyed all his ideas in, and hasn't got around to editing what's needed and what isn't.
[/quote]it fits the song perfectly I think, the way I hear it there's not much else going on and fills the song out perfectly

Edited by rogerstodge

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443379547' post='2874274']
Which is why the bass is so wrong, IMO.
[/quote]

Perhaps you had to be there at the time... :D

I played it at my first ever gig about a hundred years ago - twice. Thought I'd more or less nailed it at the time, but I heard the tape recently and I aint so sure now :blush:

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1443389444' post='2874377']
Have you ever heard the version from the Concert For Bangladesh? - Klaus Voormann does a great job with it although he simplified the A minor twiddley bit.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei6VyjlgxZU[/media]
[/quote]
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443506229' post='2875254']
The bloke who wrote it was, and he doesn't like it either :-)
[/quote]

So there's a source that tells us that Harrison thought Macca's line "too busy" (though I'm pretty sure that comment has nowhere been directly attributable to Harrison), yet when he gets the chance to re-do the song and with an old and trusted friend on bass, what does he ask Klaus to do?

Replicate Macca's bassline.

This is just another of the myths to emerge from the acrimonious Beatles break-up. Things may (or may not) have been said that were over the top and not really meant.

Incidentally, don't all the musicians playing with George in that clip look deliriously happy to be there. :ph34r:

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443512560' post='2875299']

So there's a source that tells us that Harrison thought This is just another of the myths to emerge from the acrimonious Beatles break-up. Things may (or may not) have been said that were over the top and not really meant.
[/quote]

Paul McCartney should really stop spreading nonsensical Beatles myths :-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443506229' post='2875254']
The bloke who wrote it was, and he doesn't like it either :-)
[/quote]

It always puzzles me as to why Harrison, as he did not like Macca's lines, did not insist that he (Macca) make the lines less busy. It was his composition after all and I would have thought he had an input as to how it eventually sounded. Perhaps Beatles experts will verify if Harrison eventually changed his view on the bass lines.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443512867' post='2875310']
Paul McCartney should really stop spreading nonsensical Beatles myths :-)
[/quote]

[size=4][color=#252525][font=sans-serif]"I think George thought my bass-playing was a little bit busy."[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4]I suspect that's the quote you have in mind, neh? It's from an interview he gave in 2000, 30 years after the song was recorded, 20 years after it had become a commonplace for people (especially critics) to claim that Harrison thought the line too busy.[/size]

Macca never said anything like this during the 70s, neither did Harrison.

You might want to check out "I [color=#ff0000][i][b]think [/b][/i][/color]George [color=#ff0000][i][b]thought [/b][/i][/color]..." as a piece of logical positivism. :D

Paul has always been the custodian of his own and the Beatles' legends. When the legend becomes the truth, print the legend.