Why become a member? ×

Thomann

NancyJohnson

Ordered an Ashdown 4x10 last week and it arrived today...damaged. It's taken a really hefty knock on one corner that has broken the plastic/nylon corner, squashed in the actual cabinet material (MDF/ply?) and dare I say it, put the cabinet out of alignment.

Anyhow, goes without saying, I'm not keeping it and have reported the problem.

What the deal on returns? Do they re-ship and collect? Anyone know?

Cheers
P

An item I ordered from them arrived damaged, and on reporting the problem they arranged the courier to collect and sent replacement without any intervention on my part. This was a few years ago, however, so it may have changed re: the post above. Worth checking I'd say.

Jennifer

Thats why in most cases i would collect the item myself although sometimes its just not feasable to do so as you really have to shop around to find the best deal and the chances are its never on your own doorstep.
I've never ordered from Thomann so i cant comment on their custormer service but all other things i've ordered have been damaged in some way (yes,every item) which is why i dont trust anything of value being delivered.
I've got my eye on a couple of highway 1 basses which is nearly a grand and i just cant bring myself to have them delivered, maybe i will bite the bullet and take the risk.

[quote name='phatmonkey' post='276589' date='Sep 3 2008, 10:49 PM']They're very relaxed about returns. You have to find your own courier to ship back to them (I used Parcel2go IIRC), then they'll refund.[/quote]

Was that recently? I had to return an amplifier last year and they sent a courier to pick it up.

[quote name='bremen' post='276736' date='Sep 4 2008, 09:35 AM']Was that recently? I had to return an amplifier last year and they sent a courier to pick it up.[/quote]

I was going to say that.
You email them you want to return something and in a day or so they email you a shipping label and you you print it out, call UPS within 14 days for them to come and collect and thats it.
I've sent two bass's back since Nov and it couldn't be easier. I got my HW-One from them last nov after sending a 50's MIM Classic back as i didn't like the neck.
In fact i had two Duck Dunn's at home at one point from them, sent the worst one back (i didnt plan on doing that, its just the way it turned out)
Thats why i tend and use them when ever possible if its something like an instrument.

Edited by dave_bass5

I was about to hand over over a grand for a nice Sandberg a few months ago. As I got thoroughly messed around by one of their main competitors I emailed them some queries about ordering & paying. Never heard anything back. Needless to say I didn't make the order.

Just wanted to share/vent my experiences lol. Good luck sorting it.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='276802' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:06 AM']They used to send a return label as part of the documentation that arrives with the item: you just need to contact them to arrange for them to send the courier.[/quote]

Yeah, they still send out that yellow sheet for details of why you are returning it and order details.
I guess its part of the free 30 days money back deal they do.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='276796' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:00 AM']I was about to hand over over a grand for a nice Sandberg a few months ago. As I got thoroughly messed around by one of their main competitors I emailed them some queries about ordering & paying. Never heard anything back. Needless to say I didn't make the order.

Just wanted to share/vent my experiences lol. Good luck sorting it.[/quote]

I found ringing them (from work obviously ;-) to be a lot quicker if you need info, their email replies can be a bit slow.

Yeah, have returned (under warranty) a couple of items in the past few months and they sent a shipping label and instructions to arrange with their courier (UPS both times) to come and pick it up.

Definitely better to phone them and speak to someone however as the e-mail response for this kind of thing is a little on the slow side.

[quote name='mybass' post='276878' date='Sep 4 2008, 12:32 PM']Whew, maybe these comments should be sent to them. Seems a high % of people are recieving damaged goods. It may make them re-think their courier services and packing system.[/quote]

Ive had 9 orders from Thomann's and only one thing (my first DD) has a problem and that wasnt Thomann's fault at all.

i've only ever ordered one thing from them, an epiphone thunderbird, that was advertised at available at 2-5 days notice, but after over a week they emailed me telling me they owuldnt get it in for a couple of months. i was annoyed, because i was told they could get it in in 2-5 days notice, but at least they gave a reason (the reason being there isn't a UK distributor anymore - i later found out that rosetti had been the UK distributor but it closed down i think?), and they were ok with me cancelling my order.

sorry- off topic but does anyone know if they'll have sorted this problem with epiphone out? gak had the same problem, and i'm planning on ordering an epiphone from them pretty soon. just wanna know if i'll have a problem?

Seems to me that the downside to this easy going returns policy is that there are a lot of returned goods in circulation. I bough a pair of Quik Lok monitor stands from them recently and it was clear that they had been used before, there were scratches around each of the screw holes and small dents where they had been overtightned. Didn't matter too much as, they were just stands and the areas weren't visible once assembled.

One customers returned item is another’s 'new' item

P

[quote name='Platypus' post='277319' date='Sep 4 2008, 07:48 PM']Seems to me that the downside to this easy going returns policy is that there are a lot of returned goods in circulation. I bough a pair of Quik Lok monitor stands from them recently and it was clear that they had been used before, there were scratches around each of the screw holes and small dents where they had been overtightned. Didn't matter too much as, they were just stands and the areas weren't visible once assembled.

One customers returned item is another’s 'new' item

P[/quote]

This is the reason i requested to return my Duck Dunn. It was quite dirty, had grease marks around the back where the string holes are and the protective film was half off. Nothing around the controls. It didnt look played but i felt it shouldnt be in this state. I told them that and they were fine. In the mean time i ordered another one as it was out of stock aat the time nd didnt want to hang around. It took them a week to get it in and to me (which i thought was pretty good). The second one also turned up in the same condition so i assume this is how they are leaving Lakland (or are being set up at Thomann's).
Ended up sending the second one back as the first played like a dream.

Edited by dave_bass5

Well I have an update on the cabinet situation, and I've included some pics. Bear in mind also this damage was caused through the cardboard packing box and the two inches of blown polystyrene insulation around each corner inside the box.

OK firstly, they didn't reply to my e-mail, so I telephoned them. I was told they're OK with everything and they're going to e-mail me something to assist UPS in collecting the cabinet and, once they've got it back, they'll issue a new one. Small woohoo. The girl I spoke to said they wouldn't issue a replacement until the first cabinet came back to them, so I'd be looking at a two week wait. Like it says in the title, damn.

Then last night I get an e-mail from Thomann, who say they are reluctant to take the cabinet back as it's too big. They've also said that they can just send me the defect part (they're alluding to just the corner protector, not the cabinet as a whole here) - clearly they seem to think I can screw a corner-protector into something that's mis-shapen like a satsuma.

One final thing, I've offered the cabinet up onto my MAG 1x15 and it's not square to it...looking down from the top the cabinet seems a little offsquare...not much, maybe a centimetre. To me this says it's either 1) not built properly, or 2) gone out of shape following the transit impact. I've been running similar MAG stuff for five/six years and aside from scuffs and scratches from hundreds of loads, the cabinets have held up extremely well.

I have a feeling this will run and run. All for a saving of £50.00. <sigh> :)

P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='278431' date='Sep 6 2008, 09:50 AM']last night I get an e-mail from Thomann, who say they are reluctant to take the cabinet back as it's too big. They've also said that they can just send me the defect part (they're alluding to just the corner protector, not the cabinet as a whole here) - clearly they seem to think I can screw a corner-protector into something that's mis-shapen like a satsuma.

P[/quote]

Thats bad news but i would call them again and explain just how damaged the whole thing is. Maybe they think its just the corner protector thats damaged.
I was going to suggest you just order another one instead of waiting for the replacement. Thats what i did with my Duck Dunn but i can see it might not be a good idea until you get the returns authorisation sorted out.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='278431' date='Sep 6 2008, 09:50 AM']Well I have an update on the cabinet situation, and I've included some pics. Bear in mind also this damage was caused through the cardboard packing box and the two inches of blown polystyrene insulation around each corner inside the box.

OK firstly, they didn't reply to my e-mail, so I telephoned them. I was told they're OK with everything and they're going to e-mail me something to assist UPS in collecting the cabinet and, once they've got it back, they'll issue a new one. Small woohoo. The girl I spoke to said they wouldn't issue a replacement until the first cabinet came back to them, so I'd be looking at a two week wait. Like it says in the title, damn.

Then last night I get an e-mail from Thomann, who say they are reluctant to take the cabinet back as it's too big. They've also said that they can just send me the defect part (they're alluding to just the corner protector, not the cabinet as a whole here) - clearly they seem to think I can screw a corner-protector into something that's mis-shapen like a satsuma.

One final thing, I've offered the cabinet up onto my MAG 1x15 and it's not square to it...looking down from the top the cabinet seems a little offsquare...not much, maybe a centimetre. To me this says it's either 1) not built properly, or 2) gone out of shape following the transit impact. I've been running similar MAG stuff for five/six years and aside from scuffs and scratches from hundreds of loads, the cabinets have held up extremely well.

I have a feeling this will run and run. All for a saving of £50.00. <sigh> :)

P[/quote]A £50 saving for something that fell off the back of a lorry, that has had a big old drop.

You make sure you get total satisfaction from them, they are insured for this kind of incident.

I am always amazed at the total lack of respect that some people in the courier industry have for other peoples property, I understand that they are always battling against time and cost but a bit of training for their colleagues in the art of handling parcels wouldn't go a miss.

Good luck. :huh:

[quote name='steve-soar' post='278479' date='Sep 6 2008, 11:05 AM']I am always amazed at the total lack of respect that some people in the courier industry have for other peoples property...[/quote]

Years ago I ordered a Pioneer DVD player from a place in the Midlands. Arrr, back then you had to get the machines chipped to make them play R1 DVDs, none of this handset hack stuff going on. I was desperate to get my hands on it, the courier had left a card, it was a rainy Friday and I didn't want to wait the weekend, so I called up the courier and offered to collect the package from their warehouse.

I turned up at the warehouse, mistakenly ending up in their sorting area and was horrified at how brutal the blokes were handling the boxes. I saw boxes being thrown out of the back of a van straight onto the concrete and being kicked along the floor. It's obvious that companies over-engineer products so they actually survive the shipping process, but sadly there are some monkeys in the courier game that, as you say, have no respect, and probably get a real thrill out of knowing they've broken something which is in their care during shipping.

P

This issue is still rolling on and Thomann are proving to be quite useless.

This is my first purchase from them and likely my last. I guess if you order something smallish or flight-cased (ie a bass) then you should be OK, but quite obviously anything bigger (and packed in cardboard, then if it's broken, then you're stuffed.

Ho hum. More soon.

P

[quote name='lwtait' post='277262' date='Sep 4 2008, 05:21 PM']i've only ever ordered one thing from them, an epiphone thunderbird, that was advertised at available at 2-5 days notice, but after over a week they emailed me telling me they owuldnt get it in for a couple of months. i was annoyed, because i was told they could get it in in 2-5 days notice, but at least they gave a reason (the reason being there isn't a UK distributor anymore - i later found out that rosetti had been the UK distributor but it closed down i think?), and they were ok with me cancelling my order.[/quote]

This wasn't Thomann being accommodating, but adhering to European Law which governs distance selling contracts - which in the United Kingdom, under the terms of the European Communities Act 1972, is reflected in the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000 No 2334), specifically regulation 19 - maximum of 30 days to make specific performance. There are corresponding laws in place in all European Union Member States.

Edited by noelk27

Thomann have finally agreed to have the cabinet collected - promising that UPS will contact me direct within a few days to arrange collection. The cabinet is now out of stock at Thomann until maybe the end of the month to mid-October.

I'm really less than happy. Obviously everyone wants to save money (the Thomann price was about 25% cheaper than anywhere I could have got the same unit over here), but this is stretching my patience. Their customer service has been really turdy. The only direct action I've achieved has been by picking up the telephone; they've not responded to a single e-mail.

P