Why become a member? ×

Bass Player Back Issues

Happy Jack

Given my well-publicised history of back trouble, and the presentations I have given at Bassbashes on the subject of bass players and their back issues, I was quite chuffed to get an email which promised to address a matter of considerable concern to me.

Sad to say, it turned out to be the magazine 'Bass Player' trying to sell me out-of-date copies ...

:rolleyes:

Saw this thread and it grabbed my attention........

I have a condition called ankylosing spondylitis , in short it gives me a wicked time with my back and also, my energy levels.

This makes playing and being reliable gig wise very tricky.

I do keep my hand in so's to speak but in more recent times have taken to playing sat down. This obviously don't help with feeling a groove and certainly can look a little half arsed in relation to stage presence etc.... But it is what it it is....

If it's a short gig, I'll sit on my amp , which I suppose is still acceptable to some degree..... But for full gigs, I need to sit down, I'm yet to find a suitable perch !

A chair is no good, a stool is too hard and can make things worse...... In the rehearsal studio I have been know to play quite comfortably sprawled across a bean bag type thing hahaha but that ain't gonna work at a gig.

Any one else have this kind of issue ?

In the same kind of issue, I'm having to think about selling one of my fenders as it's just a little on the heavy side...probably fine for most guys but when your up against it, you need every advantage. A new musicman sterling has brought me this as it's far smaller and lighter.....

Back issues are crap :(

Just looked up your condition - Jesus, that's horrible. Really sorry to hear that.

For all my gigs I take along http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinsman-KGS-Guitarists-Dual-Stool/dp/B0030GIGW0

Cheap, cheerful, doubles up as my bass stand, and a more comfortable perch than my amp.

At gigs where I have been experiencing serious back trouble, on a couple of occasions I take this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koing-and-Meyer-14045-000-55-Musicians/dp/B003ERX2UQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441529832&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=k%26m+performance+stool
from my studio. I always sit on this when rehearsing.

You need both the backrest and the built-in foot rest to really make it work. This stool has the advantage that you can actually play double bass while sitting on it. On the other hand, you'll need a roadie to carry it for you ...

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1441498437' post='2859368']
If it's a short gig, I'll sit on my amp , which I suppose is still acceptable to some degree..... But for full gigs, I need to sit down, I'm yet to find a suitable perch !

A chair is no good, a stool is too hard and can make things worse...... In the rehearsal studio I have been know to play quite comfortably sprawled across a bean bag type thing hahaha but that ain't gonna work at a gig.

[/quote]

Yes, but not through spondylosis (both the current and the previous Mrs Zero suffer from that, so I sympathise). After suffering some damage in a motorcycle accident in 2001 (broken ribs, punctured lung, but the main long-term problem was the soft tissue damage), I start finding it painful to stand after some period of time - it used to be about half an hour, it's gradually improved. I use a Kinsman dual-stool like Happy Jack.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1441530078' post='2859463']
Just looked up your condition - Jesus, that's horrible. Really sorry to hear that.

For all my gigs I take along http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinsman-KGS-Guitarists-Dual-Stool/dp/B0030GIGW0

Cheap, cheerful, doubles up as my bass stand, and a more comfortable perch than my amp.

At gigs where I have been experiencing serious back trouble, on a couple of occasions I take this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koing-and-Meyer-14045-000-55-Musicians/dp/B003ERX2UQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441529832&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=k%26m+performance+stool
from my studio. I always sit on this when rehearsing.

You need both the backrest and the built-in foot rest to really make it work. This stool has the advantage that you can actually play double bass while sitting on it. On the other hand, you'll need a roadie to carry it for you ...
[/quote]

Cheers :) appreciate you taking the time to look it up, I have many folk around me who don't care enough to even do that so thank you....

Ive used one of the stools before in the studio, don't know why I never thought of one !?!

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1441498437' post='2859368']
Saw this thread and it grabbed my attention........

I have a condition called ankylosing spondylitis , in short it gives me a wicked time with my back and also, my energy levels.

This makes playing and being reliable gig wise very tricky............

In the same kind of issue, I'm having to think about selling one of my fenders as it's just a little on the heavy side...probably fine for most guys but when your up against it, you need every advantage. A new musicman sterling has brought me this as it's far smaller and lighter.....

Back issues are crap :(
[/quote]

I don't, but I worked for a few years in the late 90s with a guy who had it. I do deeply sympathise and hope treatment techniques have improved since then.
I had years of back trouble after a cycling accident but a really good physio in Edinburgh cleared it up about 95%.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1441619552' post='2860212']

Yes, but not through spondylosis (both the current and the previous Mrs Zero suffer from that, so I sympathise). After suffering some damage in a motorcycle accident in 2001 (broken ribs, punctured lung, but the main long-term problem was the soft tissue damage), I start finding it painful to stand after some period of time - it used to be about half an hour, it's gradually improved. I use a Kinsman dual-stool like Happy Jack.
[/quote]

Spondylosis, close, but different to spondylitis.... In short, Ankylosing spondylitis translates to fusion of the joints caused by inflammation... The inflammation is caused by a faulty immune system ..... Gets in everywhere really not just back :(
To confound things further, like you I also suffered a horrendous motorbike crash ten years ago in which i shattered femurs , left forearm and smashed right hand to bits ....... Either way I'm broken...

It's hard, but if I give up on playing bass it will have taken everything away from me, that just can't happen.

I have to turn down lots of requests to play or gig or dep etc... As one offs can be ok if I'm feeling right enough on the day..... But I'd just hate to let anyone down.

I feel for all those out there who struggle to continue, maybe due to stroke, back trouble, arthritis etc etc..... Never ever take your playing for granted guys , although it can last forever and you can play till the end, you can just as easily have it taken away from you and you can't imagine how that feels :(

Sorry, whinge over :) hahaha

Edited by Wonky2

I've just spent a week in bed due to sever back strain, initially caused 10 years ago by years of lifting Mesa Boogie cabs. This episode was caused by me just leaning over a PA amp and plugging in the leads!

I'm now reassessing all by gear so I can keep the tone but reduce the weight even more.

Wonky2, I was wondering about gigging if I suffered injuries that made playing a bass guitar difficult. I thought I'd give a keyboard bass a go.

Wonky2, you have my sympathies - that sounds like a particularly unpleasant condition to live with!

I've suffered with Spondylolisthesis for nearly 20 years, brought on as a result of lifting a stage monitor the wrong way! I learned to cope with it for a long time, until finally being correctly diagnosed by a chiropractor and getting treatment from them. 2 years down the line and my movement and ability have massively improved. I'm also 1.5cm taller than I was, due to no longer standing with a twisted/hunched posture.

Thanks Simon ..... It is what it is..... .. I just pray to God my two boys don't suffer with it (I inherited it off my dad) :(
Mechanical back issues are often fixable but it takes a really good chiro.... Your lucky to have found one :)
I can't use one, they'd basically break bones.....

Tauzero - don't know, can't get my groove on in a chair and it doesn't really look right on stage I guess....dare I say, I'm fortunate enough to be able to play well enough to negate any such faupars :)

Chris b - keyboard bass? Never ! Hahaha. But no seriously, I don't have too much problem playing ( ones my stiff fingers have got moving ,which sometimes takes a soaking in very very hot water for ten mins before playing) the trouble is standing up or sitting down on anything other then "the right chair" ????

To be completely honest, it's not the stiffness or pain that causes my biggest issues, it's chronic fatigue that comes with it.... If I'm hit with it before a gig or rehersal I just can't do it..... If it gangs up on me mid way through I can become desperately poorly quite quickly. This is what puts the mockers on playing / reliability.
Quite sure it sounds a bit wet and self pityful..... Trust me, I hate it and would love to feel energetic and pain free. Even if just for a short while :)

Sorry to unload, moan, bore a bass thread with my "ailments" .... Never intended that, but just wanted to say to everyone never take your playing for granted... I love to play bass, have done for around 25 years.... Can do it quite well on a good day........
But I miss it terribly. Would love to work regular again..... Sick of turning folk down :(

Rock on dudes :)

What's that old saying? " Form is temporary, class is permanent" : I'm willing to bet that you on a bad are far better than me on my best, so don't feel bad about not being able to function at 100% of your own expectations. To be playing at all with your condition ( I have a friend who is a scratch golfer who has it, and he can't play competitions any more as a consequence, so I understand a little about it), is a feat of determination and adaptability. Have you looked around for home recordist song writers, looking for a bass player, rather than their own 'guitarist having a go' efforts? Strikes me that would allow you the creativity, you get to use your experience - doing something new and challenging, but can do it from a chair, and there would be flexibility if you were having a bad day : it's someones bedroom or shed, not Abbey Road, so you could reschedule. Maybe some local ads in the music shop, or out the word out at some jam nights. If you have your own recording set up at home, you could always invite in guys with no studio gear - and you can be Tony Visconti for the day!

Cheers admiral ...... I'm genuinely touched by the support, acknowledgment and appreciation of how hard it is..... That not to whinge on about it, but "invisible illnesses" are very hard for folk to comprehend.
Your friend the golfer, that will be a very hard thing for him to accept..... I bet on a good day he could play well, but doin so would likely knock him off his feet for a week.... :(

Funny enough, as per your advice, that's exactly what I do at present....... I have been playing sessions for a very talented songwriter who's had a few publishing deals over time..... Not my exact bag but All very good songs..... Home rehearsals then studio with full band..... We have the odd gig lined up which is great......
But it's the drummer and guitarist in the band who play in a full time covers band.... They are very good and want me to dep for their bass player but I just know that by the time they are ready for their 2nd set I'd be done in !!! No but seriously, if I wasn't in a good spell I can become horrible ill From it... So, I'm reluctant to commit, because if I wake up on the day and it's a wrong'un there's no way I could deliver.

So,I'll stick to the studio stuff and odd short session type gig..... It working for now, even if I do have to soak my hands in hot water for time to time ...... (#premaddona) :)

Thanks for the positive comments.... Every little helps :)

Wonky

Anyhow, not sure I'd be quite up there with the "class" acts hahaha

If you want to have a listen to the recording ive done with the guys, here's a couple :

https://alroberts.bandcamp.com/track/wake-up-and-dream

https://alroberts.bandcamp.com/track/live-in-a-sunny-day

Nice songs, great song writer