Why become a member? ×

I've quit my band - finally. So what next...?

Grassie

Evening all, thought I'd share my thoughts with you on this, it's not the usual "arrgghh! I want to kill the guitarist so I've quit!" kind of rant, more of a realization. I've been with this band (pubs/clubs, classic rock/pop covers) for just over two and a half years and it dawned on me toward the end of last year that I really didn't want to play that kind of music any more. Nothing wrong with it as such, but the stuff we have been playing is (for want of a better phrase) "old hat". Now, I'm no spring chicken (turned 40 this year), but songs like "Summer Of '69", "Are You Gonna Go My Way?", "Day Tripper", [i]plus many more classic hits from a bygone era[/i]... are stuff that, from my point of view, does not get my blood pumping, nor does it give me anything more to do (for the most part) than plodding eighth notes. So why did I join in the first place I hear you shout.... :rolleyes:
I've always loved playing - that's the simple answer, but my taste in music is quite varied. I love stuff by RHCP, Stone Temple Pilots, Faith No More, INXS, Level 42, Jamiroquai, Bernhoft, Depeche Mode, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Boards Of Canada, Goldfrapp, Mr Scruff, Stone Roses - I could go on, and sometimes do... but my tastes have resulted in me not being able to make my mind up about what it is I really want to do (and could do [i]well)[/i] in terms of playing the bass guitar in a live situation. Finding like-minded souls here on the Isle of Wight to work with is not happening (unless I suddenly find myself enraptured with the acoustic sounds of Donovan, Fairport Convention etc. cos everyone here seems to be on some flowered up folky love trip). I recently bought myself a stratocaster to try to widen my musical palette a little more in terms of playing instruments, but I'm now considering selling it and my recently modified VM Squier P/J bass to buy a 5 string bass of some quality so that I can concentrate on the instrument I fell in love with more than 20 years ago, and make some noise that is fulfilling both artistically and for the listener. At least that's what I [i]think [/i]I want to do. Or maybe I'll carry on making instrumental electronica, putting out on Bandcamp to have it routinely ignored by the global internet community (www.bonnevillemusic.bandcamp.com if any of you are slightly curious) as I have been doing for some time now. Who knows? I don't, that's for sure... :D Does anyone else have these issues? Surely I can't be the only one? Am I mad? What bass should I buy next? Should I go fretless? Should I flog the lot and take up painting instead? Nurse! The screens! :lol:

I suppose one could say, 'Well done for quitting a band because you didn't like the music,' and then 'Now find a band that plays a varied and interesting set that corresponds more with your personal taste.' Is that too obvious? :huh:

Edit: Missed the bit about you living on the Isle of Wight. How far would you travel for the right band? :)

Edited by discreet

I think for a lot of people it is a compromise, but like any compromise, you have to be getting something out of it. In the group I am in, there are some really dull songs that i go through the motions (or get carried away and add too much), but at the same time, there are songs I really enjoy doing that are a challenge and do get my blood pumping, so its worth it.
If you couldn't persuade them to throw some stuff in you liked, then you made the right choice. I am sure someone in the isle of [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wight[/font][/color] wants some other music playing, I mean there is absolutely nothing else to do there, so there must be lots of groups!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1441046771' post='2855662']
I mean there is absolutely nothing else to do there, so there must be lots of groups!
[/quote]

I don't know... I spent a a few days there once and it was like getting in a time machine and going back to the 70s.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1441046576' post='2855653']
I suppose one could say, 'Well done for quitting a band because you didn't like the music,' and then 'Now find a band that plays a varied and interesting set that corresponds more with your personal taste.' Is that too obvious? :huh:

Edit: Missed the bit about you living on the Isle of Wight. How far would you travel for the right band? :)
[/quote]I think it's going to be more a case of doing something on my own. That's not to say I wouldn't in the future, but as far as travelling off the island to do something with a band... well, have you seen the ferry prices? :D Seriously though, I have a full time job here involving shift work, I have a family and all that entails, so to be off spending £50+ a time with sh*telink or Shed Funnel is really not part of my very complicated musical equation. :)

I spent many days there. In the summer we tended to get the bikes, go across on the ferry and spend a long weekend there camped in a field getting stoned. Although, tbh, it could have been anywhere, but it wasn't like a real place where they had police and people, and any form of society, so it was ok.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1441046880' post='2855664']
I don't know... I spent a a few days there once and it was like getting in a time machine and going back to the 70s.
[/quote]

I'm still firmly wedged in the 70s, maybe I should move as far south as I can without having to learn French.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1441046771' post='2855662']
I think for a lot of people it is a compromise, but like any compromise, you have to be getting something out of it. In the group I am in, there are some really dull songs that i go through the motions (or get carried away and add too much), but at the same time, there are songs I really enjoy doing that are a challenge and do get my blood pumping, so its worth it.
If you couldn't persuade them to throw some stuff in you liked, then you made the right choice. I am sure someone in the isle of [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wight[/font][/color] wants some other music playing, I mean there is absolutely nothing else to do there, so there must be lots of groups!
[/quote]There are loads of groups! Loads of rock groups and acoustic groups! And that's it... ;) Bottom line is - I have handed my notice in with my band (end of the year is my cut-off point), and as great a bunch of chaps you're ever likely to meet, they are extremely unlikely to agree to putting "Black Cherry" in the setlist any time soon. I can't really see myself in another pub-rock band again. :(

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1441047158' post='2855670']
I spent many days there. In the summer we tended to get the bikes, go across on the ferry and spend a long weekend there camped in a field getting stoned. Although, tbh, it could have been anywhere, but it wasn't like a real place where they had police and people, and any form of society, so it was ok.
[/quote]Oh, we have police now... And roads. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1441047330' post='2855676']
Its fine there, they don't really have any form of language.
[/quote]Ahem...!
[url="http://h2g2.com/entry/A62441507/conversation/view/F15914705/T7272057"]http://h2g2.com/entr...914705/T7272057[/url]

Edit: Just noticed you're from Somerset... glass houses and all that... ;) :P

Edited by Grassie

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1441047330' post='2855676']
Its fine there, they don't really have any form of language.
[/quote]

Excellent, my only language skills are drunk English and mangled Finnish. I reckon I'd fit right in

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1441047523' post='2855679']
Edit: Just noticed you're from Somerset... glass houses and all that... ;) :P
[/quote]

I'm 'in' Somerset, I am 'from' Portsmouth, so no, you are right about the glass houses!

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1441047523' post='2855679']
Oh, we have police now... And roads. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Oh you had roads then. We would ride the half hour round one way, then the half hour back, and have the thrill and excitement of avoiding the motorcycle sized potholes!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1441048303' post='2855693']
Oh you had roads then. We would ride the half hour round one way, then the half hour back, and have the thrill and excitement of avoiding the motorcycle sized potholes!
[/quote]We still have potholes! :D They are now the size of small family cars. :angry:

You did the right thing.

Did it myself after playing with a band for a couple of years. I'd quit cos I thought I was too old at 26, didnt gig again till my 40th birthday when I'd found a popular local covers/blues band with loads of gigs.

First couple of years was OK, but issues within the band / not enjoying it anymore got so bad I quit. Had a couple of lean years with bands that didnt really work out, then 20 great ones playing stuff I enjoyed with various bands, some better gigs and better times with better bands than I could have ever imagined when playing with the covers band. None of the members of which are still playing, and I doubt if I would be if I had stuck it out, and from what you've said, you have moved on from what you wanted from that band. Better to quit than to spend years staying cos it was better than not having a gig, When one door closes and all that...

I'm just retiring now at 63, cos due to a health issue I cant physically do it anymore. But no regrets other than wishing I'd done it all a bit sooner.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

Edited by Slipperydick

Hey Grassie, I usually just enjoy everyones great stories and knowledge vicariously without uttering a word but I felt compelled to answer you due to the fact you just described myself from music taste to current band situation, I found it uncanny, we are the same age as well, bizarre,lol. I had no idea I had a twin brother in the Isle of Wight! and I was just watching a Level 42 documentary the other night. You have impeccable music taste of which I would like to add Duran Duran, +1 on the Jamiroquai big Zender and Paul Turner fan, and of course Tom Jenkinson who makes me weep with musical impotence,lol. I thought I was the only bassist that was heavy into music production for electronic music, very into warp,hyperdub, hessle audio and ninjatune artists. It would be great to visit the Isle of wight and jam out on bass, get crazy pedantic about gear, grab a pint and look at pretty girls, alas while I have lived in Germany for ten years I am currently in a backwards, illiterate, cultural black hole in the United States, oh well, dare to dream :) anyways Grassie my bass brother take care!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1441047266' post='2855673']
I'm still firmly wedged in the 70s, maybe I should move as far south as I can without having to learn French.
[/quote]

That's the Lizard peninsula in Cornwall. The 70s haven't made it there yet.

[quote name='Chadwick35' timestamp='1441092298' post='2855899']
Hey Grassie, I usually just enjoy everyones great stories and knowledge vicariously without uttering a word but I felt compelled to answer you due to the fact you just described myself from music taste to current band situation, I found it uncanny, we are the same age as well, bizarre,lol. I had no idea I had a twin brother in the Isle of Wight! and I was just watching a Level 42 documentary the other night. You have impeccable music taste of which I would like to add Duran Duran, +1 on the Jamiroquai big Zender and Paul Turner fan, and of course Tom Jenkinson who makes me weep with musical impotence,lol. I thought I was the only bassist that was heavy into music production for electronic music, very into warp,hyperdub, hessle audio and ninjatune artists. It would be great to visit the Isle of wight and jam out on bass, get crazy pedantic about gear, grab a pint and look at pretty girls, alas while I have lived in Germany for ten years I am currently in a backwards, illiterate, cultural black hole in the United States, oh well, dare to dream :) anyways Grassie my bass brother take care!
[/quote]Hey, thank you! I keep meaning to check out some Squarepusher, you've got me on it! As for your current location - your "cultural black hole in the United States" - well, dig deep my friend. There's always something under all the ultra-corporate, MTV-endorsed, flimsy, unoriginal nonsense that seems to be omnipotent at the moment. Hoping for a musical revolution, but not holding my breath... <_< :P

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1441046335' post='2855646']
Or maybe I'll carry on making instrumental electronica, putting out on Bandcamp to have it routinely ignored by the global internet community (www.bonnevillemusic.bandcamp.com if any of you are slightly curious) as I have been doing for some time now.
[/quote]

Well, hopefully you'll feel a little less ignored now :)

EDIT: not a sympathy purchase BTW - I enjoyed the tunes, they reminded me of my old ProTracker days, only more polished with better samples and effects.

Edited by neepheid