Why become a member? ×

I've quit my band - finally. So what next...?

Grassie

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1441116969' post='2856149']

Well, hopefully you'll feel a little less ignored now :)

EDIT: not a sympathy purchase BTW - I enjoyed the tunes, they reminded me of my old ProTracker days, only more polished with better samples and effects.
[/quote]Thank you mate, I wasn't fishing for a sale, honest! Currently working on new stuff, motivation permitting, watch this space. 😁

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1441046335' post='2855646']
Evening all, thought I'd share my thoughts with you on this, it's not the usual "arrgghh! I want to kill the guitarist so I've quit!" kind of rant, more of a realization. I've been with this band (pubs/clubs, classic rock/pop covers) for just over two and a half years and it dawned on me toward the end of last year that I really didn't want to play that kind of music any more. Nothing wrong with it as such, but the stuff we have been playing is (for want of a better phrase) "old hat". Now, I'm no spring chicken (turned 40 this year), but songs like "Summer Of '69", "Are You Gonna Go My Way?", "Day Tripper", [i]plus many more classic hits from a bygone era[/i]... are stuff that, from my point of view, does not get my blood pumping, nor does it give me anything more to do (for the most part) than plodding eighth notes. So why did I join in the first place I hear you shout.... :rolleyes:
I've always loved playing - that's the simple answer, but my taste in music is quite varied. I love stuff by RHCP, Stone Temple Pilots, Faith No More, INXS, Level 42, Jamiroquai, Bernhoft, Depeche Mode, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Boards Of Canada, Goldfrapp, Mr Scruff, Stone Roses - I could go on, and sometimes do... but my tastes have resulted in me not being able to make my mind up about what it is I really want to do (and could do [i]well)[/i] in terms of playing the bass guitar in a live situation. Finding like-minded souls here on the Isle of Wight to work with is not happening (unless I suddenly find myself enraptured with the acoustic sounds of Donovan, Fairport Convention etc. cos everyone here seems to be on some flowered up folky love trip). I recently bought myself a stratocaster to try to widen my musical palette a little more in terms of playing instruments, but I'm now considering selling it and my recently modified VM Squier P/J bass to buy a 5 string bass of some quality so that I can concentrate on the instrument I fell in love with more than 20 years ago, and make some noise that is fulfilling both artistically and for the listener. At least that's what I [i]think [/i]I want to do. Or maybe I'll carry on making instrumental electronica, putting out on Bandcamp to have it routinely ignored by the global internet community (www.bonnevillemusic.bandcamp.com if any of you are slightly curious) as I have been doing for some time now. Who knows? I don't, that's for sure... :D Does anyone else have these issues? Surely I can't be the only one? Am I mad? What bass should I buy next? Should I go fretless? Should I flog the lot and take up painting instead? Nurse! The screens! :lol:
[/quote]

No, I have none of the issues you have described. I am a working bass player , I do this for a living.

The things your describing sound like things that use to happen in High School bands.

I advise all those that only want to play music they like to forget about bands, at least working bands. I don't play music I like, but I'm gigging constantly.

I play in a band with good musicians that are smart knowledgeable trustworthy people and have a solid book of good paying business.

To be honest, it's sounds like you would be happier doing the bedroom home recording thing.

Blue

The reality in most of the country is that if you play covers you can gig regularly and get paid, but it can be a grind if you don't enjoy it. Playing 2-3hrs of songs means a lot of hard work refreshing the set and keeping all the songs in the air plus the 6hrs away from home for each gig. It isn't for everyone and not worth an average of £50 if you don't love it.

For anyone playing originals the opportunities to gig live are more limited and pretty much something that the under thirties with hopes of success will do. If not then music becomes a hobby, and I'm not looking down of that at all. Lots of musicians a lot more skilled than I are playing at home, releasing music on the web and doing the odd cameo at open mics or other one off 'events'. Gigging dominates my free time and affects my family too, I couldn't do it if i didn't love it.

One other alternative suggests itself though. Your musical tastes seem to be for the music of your youth. So many pub bands do the same stuff that you are giving up but there is a market for stuff other than 70's pop/rock. All the audiences want is familiar stuff they can sing and dance to, so you could try to put together a covers band to do the type of songs you like more.

You seem pretty clear about what you want to do musically. The things you need to decide are; will I miss performing to an audience, and will I miss playing with other people.

Good luck

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1441175378' post='2856574']

No, I have none of the issues you have described. I am a working bass player , I do this for a living.

The things your describing sound like things that use to happen in High School bands.

I advise all those that only want to play music they like to forget about bands, at least working bands. I don't play music I like, but I'm gigging constantly.

I play in a band with good musicians that are smart knowledgeable trustworthy people and have a solid book of good paying business.

To be honest, it's sounds like you would be happier doing the bedroom home recording thing.

Blue
[/quote]Well, I'm not a working musician (unfortunately), it has always been a hobby for me, but one that brings in a little extra cash that comes in handy for holidays and things like that. If it was a full time job, well, I'd be taking whatever came my way and enjoying a lot more because doing something you love for a living is the ultimate aim isn't it? My attitude to my current situation is one of not having to put up with certain elements that go hand in hand with playing in a weekend pub band (I won't go into the gory details, but I'm sure you can use your imagination). I certainly wouldn't be so churlish to bite the hand that feeds, especially in the company of professional musicians on a public internet forum if I was a professional musician myself. As it's my free time I'm giving up every weekend I feel I have a right to make that free time as enjoyable as possible, as I'm sure you'd agree. 😊

Edited by Grassie

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1441180506' post='2856614']
If it was a full time job, I'd be taking whatever came my way and enjoying a lot more because doing something you love for a living is the ultimate aim isn't it?
[/quote]

If you do something you love and enjoy as a full time job, it's possible that you won't love and enjoy it any more and it becomes worse than doing something unrelated - because you don't even have the option of doing it as a hobby or for relaxation in your spare time.

And this is why I don't play in a covers band; for me there's just nothing inspiring in playing other peoples songs - yes it's a quick route to getting out there & playing gigs/earning a bit of money but it never left me feeling particularly fulfilled.

Originals bands are less likely to pay well, offer more band conflict areas & are generally a pain but there is something very enjoyable about going out there, performing your own songs & seeing how people respond to them. Even if that response is for the three members of the audience to go outside for a cigarette.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1441175378' post='2856574']

Blue
[/quote]
I didn't know you were on here Blue, I remember reading your posts back in the day on TB

I have 1 "working band" that gets the gigs, and keeps me living comfortably (My job is not brilliant, but the gigs keep me living comfortably) , playing a style of music that I find incredibly boring to listen to (ska), but it is buy as anything. The other bands are there for balance and enjoyment.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1441185323' post='2856666']
If you do something you love and enjoy as a full time job, it's possible that you won't love and enjoy it any more and it becomes worse than doing something unrelated - because you don't even have the option of doing it as a hobby or for relaxation in your spare time.
[/quote]

Not always true. Music is my full time job and I love it. I think someone who truly loves it will happily do it 24/7.

Nope, a crap gig is a crap gig and you are likely to get fed up and burnt out doing something for the worng reasons.

If money is most important to you..you are going to have to take gigs you shouldn't, IMO.
To me, it is about the quality of the work...and I actually think the money will follow that anyway.

You have to have a sell... and some bands connect and are viable without doing too much.
Ska bands round here will get you work as will the btter tribute bands.
Other bands are just out and out quality and even your not very discerning rocker will get it if it is good enough.

I actually don't have too much faith in certain genre fave punters.... but almost to a man, they can get something that
is genuinely very good/special.

First off..you should please yourself and back yourself to know better than your audience.
If you do..you'll be succesful..if you don't, you wont

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1441180506' post='2856614']
Well, I'm not a working musician (unfortunately), it has always been a hobby for me, but one that brings in a little extra cash that comes in handy for holidays and things like that. If it was a full time job, well, I'd be taking whatever came my way and enjoying a lot more because doing something you love for a living is the ultimate aim isn't it? My attitude to my current situation is one of not having to put up with certain elements that go hand in hand with playing in a weekend pub band (I won't go into the gory details, but I'm sure you can use your imagination). I certainly wouldn't be so churlish to bite the hand that feeds, especially in the company of professional musicians on a public internet forum if I was a professional musician myself. As it's my free time I'm giving up every weekend I feel I have a right to make that free time as enjoyable as possible, as I'm sure you'd agree.
[/quote]

I agree, when it's a hobby it should be fun, however in order to have fun you have to find the right people with the right mind set. and that's not easy to do.

For me it's a job, which is what I have always wanted.

Bookings and working with experienced fair people that know how to be in a band the work well with others are of the utmost importance.

Blue