Why become a member? ×

Schroeder cabs get new UK distributor

sharkboy

Good news and bad news too! I already have a Schroeder cab, but have been repelling further Schroeder GAS quite successfully as they were relatively difficult to get hold of. Now this has put very great temptation my way... thanks for the link. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1439851170' post='2846309']
The same things always come out, "They colour the tone, they have a mid hump etc". IMO/FMP they sound better in a rock band with a valve head pushing it then a supposed 'neutral' sounding cabinet.
[/quote] is that the old ones with the angled baffles or the new ones?

Agree, great cabs - if you want a real presence in the mix, and the bonus of getting the sound dispersed very well indeed then a Schro could well be the cab for you. Yes, on their own they sound a bit "meh" especially at low volumes, but it`s in the mix that counts and that`s where these cabs come to life.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1439884711' post='2846396']
...they sound a bit "meh" especially at low volumes, but it`s in the mix that counts and that`s where these cabs come to life.
[/quote]

Absolutely right Lozz. If you want a cab for noodling at home get something else. If you gig in a band get one of these. So far there has been no room I haven't been able to fill with big, bouncy, well-defined bass - with or without PA support. 21012L spec:[list]
[*]2 X 10" Neo Drivers
[*]1 X 12" Neo Driver mounted on angled baffle
[*]200W Tweeter with Attenuator
[*]1 X Speakon and 1 X 6.3mm Jack Inputs
[*]1000W RMS @ 4ohms
[*]49lb (22kg)
[*]23.5 X 23.5 X 16" (60 X 60 X 40 cm)
[/list]
This is the older version with the angled 12" driver. The new ones have all three drivers on a flat front baffle, but somehow Jorg has managed to keep the size of the cab roughly the same, maybe an inch or so bigger all round. It's like a pocket 8X10. It can handle a LOT of power - in fact it seems to thrive on it. It hasn't once given any hint that it's reaching its limits.

Edit: I bought this last September, so nearly a year GAS-free cabwise! A record!

Edited by discreet

Great cabs, I had my 1212L for ages. Everyone talks about the midrange hump, which seems to be true, but my current Phil Jones rig, which is considered 'hi-fi' and pure, sounds almost identical, just a bit 'smoother' (I only changed because the band I'm in, I was barely having the amp and, therefore, the cab, ticking over). Could it actually be that other cabs are actually scooped (I know Ashdown ABM cabs were)?

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1439892084' post='2846460']
I had my 1212L for ages. Everyone talks about the midrange hump, which seems to be true, but my current Phil Jones rig, which is considered 'hi-fi' and pure, sounds almost identical, just a bit 'smoother'.
[/quote]

I had a 1212L too, and stupidly sold it. Small cab, huge sound. I found the mid-hump to be an advantage - you will be heard under ANY circumstances. I may get another!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439894013' post='2846486']
I had a 1212L too, and stupidly sold it. Small cab, huge sound. I found the mid-hump to be an advantage - you will be heard under ANY circumstances. I may get another!
[/quote]That sound gives the best of both worlds: good out front sound; great on stage monitoring.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1439897225' post='2846525']
That sound gives the best of both worlds: good out front sound; great on stage monitoring.
[/quote]

Great cab. So easy to transport, too. One hand lift. Out off all the gear I've had over the years, it's the one thing I really regret selling. I let it go for a pittance, too! What was I thinking?? :blink: Oh well, if another comes up...

Edited by discreet

I've a had a steadily mounting regret after selling my 1515L, tho I'd be interested to know how these newer generation of cabs sound compared to the original angled series.

Anyone had an direct experience of both generations?

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1439906004' post='2846643']
ISTR there was mention somewhere (here or TB, can't remember which) of the build quality of the older generation cabs deteriorating.
[/quote]

I'll have a look for that later. Mine isn't showing any signs of deterioration. It's ten years old, but to be fair it hasn't been toured or anything. I have it on fairly big castors, I don't know if that makes a difference... though it does tend to get used as a trolley for the rest of my gear.

I think for a 4ohm, one-cab solution it's hard to beat. I've heard that you have to be selective about which amp you use with it. So far I've used a Streamliner 900, a G-K MB500 Fusion and now an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II, which with a P-Bass, roundwounds and a pick, makes for a reet loud and proper rock rig that is also reasonably portable. But I believe cabs from other manufacturers are also available... ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439906907' post='2846649']
I'll have a look for that later. Mine isn't showing any signs of deterioration. It's ten years old, but to be fair it hasn't been toured or anything. I have it on fairly big castors, I don't know if that makes a difference... though it does tend to get used as a trolley for the rest of my gear.
[/quote]

It wasn't so much whether it would fall apart but the quality of the finishing where it wasn't visible - ragged holes in baffles, that sort of thing.

I had a couple of the bigger ones back in the day. I never quite got on with the sound - they were both a bit scooped to my ears - and the build quality of the second cab left a lot to be desired.

Although I never tried one, the smaller cabs (1210 and 1212) got a lot of praise.

Apologies if my post has given anyone a bad attack of GAS! :) If its any consolation, it appears to be contagious, as I now find myself thinking what I can sell to get a one-cab solution

I run both an old style 1212L (with the angled speaker) and a new 15PL. Individually, I find little difference in build quality, although the older one is starting to show very minimal signs of wear on the finish (though to be fair, it has been gigged extensively and I never did get round to buying those covers). The main difference in the newer models that I can tell (apart from all speakers now being front-facing) is that they're all loaded with B&C drivers these days which, if memory serves, is the same make that Markbass used to use before they decided to try cutting costs. Both sound immense by themselves; combined into a killer stack they are mahoosive!

Looking on their website they don't seem to do the angled cabs anymore.

It's great to see they've got a UK distributor. All cabs are a personal taste thing but these get good reviews and if I were in the market for a cab at the moment these would be on the list...thankfully I'm not in a band and I'm skint so GAS isn't a problem at the moment :)