Why become a member? ×

Looking for a good quality aftermarket hard-case for my bass

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I've got a Maruszczyk Jake (pretty much a Fender P-Bass) and I would like to get a decent hard-case for it. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good aftermarket case for a bass of this style.

I have a generic 'Black Rat' ABS case from PMT at the moment, which is fine for storage at home, but the fit is pretty poor and so the bass had a tenancy to slip around inside the case when carried.

Ideally, I would like a case that is fitted, reasonably light weight, and that has space for a few extras such as my compression pedal, strap and cables.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

James

I don't want to spoil the Hiscox love (I love Hiscox cases too, and have one), but they're not fitted internally to P-Bass (or any other) shape. However there are pads in the lid which hold the bass in place when shut, with a little niche for the bottom strap button to avoid stress. And you're not going to get better protection than Hiscox's double-skin ABS system... oh what the hell, buy one. :lol:

I would concentrate on getting a good case and keep pedals etc in a separate bag/case.

I'd vote for a Hiscox, but do you need a hard case? IME you only need a hard case when you're storing the bass in a van, someone else is going to carry it or you need to send it through the post. Otherwise a Mono Vertigo, for example, is a good lightweight all rounder for carrying and protecting your bass.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1439456287' post='2842939']
I would concentrate on getting a good case and keep pedals etc in a separate bag/case.

I'd vote for a Hiscox, but do you need a hard case? IME you only need a hard case when you're storing the bass in a van, someone else is going to carry it or you need to send it through the post. Otherwise a Mono Vertigo, for example, is a good lightweight all rounder for carrying and protecting your bass.
[/quote]

I like to have a hard-case since (1) I travel quite a bit and have to store it in friends houses where there is not always a good safe spot and (2) I have a very excitable staffordshire bull terrier (see my profile pic) who I prefer to keep separated from my bass by a good quality bit of hard-shell casing. He's always been very well behaved but it only takes a moment of madness for him to decide that this funny bit of alder and strings makes a wonderful chew toy.

A few months back I bought a Fender ABS case (with ATA locks) here on BC. It's one of those bits of kit that makes your gigging life easier and is a pleasure to use. It's rectangular, not too bulky, and has enough space for strap, lead, clip-on-tuner, and a spare PP3 battery.

On and I have a Hiscox P-size hard case too!

If you are looking for a lightweight case that is flight case standard. You can get a Scott Dixon case. I have a few of them for guitar and one for bass and they are really strong and high quality.

[url="http://www.scottdixoninc.com/#!Coffin%20Guitar%20Case%202/zoom/cgnx/i91uvg"]http://www.scottdixoninc.com/#!Coffin%20Guitar%20Case%202/zoom/cgnx/i91uvg [/url]