Why become a member? ×

Blues Rock Bass Player 'wanted' ad - unbelievable!

JapanAxe

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1439306602' post='2841741']

There is indeed a big market for it. Doesn't stop it being tedious beyond belief though.
[/quote]

You are free to persue your own tedious interests, no one is forcing you to listen to blues rock.

Arguments about the relative merits of different styles of music are ultimately pointless. It's all down to personal opinion.

When they were growing up, I played all sorts of music to my two daughters (I missed out - my parents didn't listen to music much. I didn't find out that you could get music on the radio until I first went to school by bus when I was 11!). If they learned nothing except that there is no such thing as "bad" music, just music that this person or that person doesn't like, then it worked.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1439308615' post='2841773']
Quite.

And refusing to listen to or play certain genres seriously limits your opportunity for work as a bass player. Why would you want to do that?

Play anything with anyone.
[/quote]

I agree to a point, if I'm being paid I'll play anything. The problem with a lot of these gigs is there's very little money in it. Most bands in this field are playing the local pub on a Friday night for little are no money.

As a bassist who started out as a guitarist and as someone who also plays blues rock from time to time I would like to apologise for my mongrel musical background and for my lamentable taste in music. My inferiority is obviously inherent.

I'm so sorry. I'm so [i]very[/i] sorry.

I'm so very[i] f**king [/i]sorry.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, I think I'd prefer to hear a musician dabbling on a second instrument in a genre they understand and appreciate than an accomplished instrumentalist playing a genre they don't care for just for the paycheck. So a "bored guitarist" who had a feel for the blues-rock thing and decided to try their hand at the bass might well do a decent job even if there was a bit of a learning curve.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1439314214' post='2841844']
As a bassist who started out as a guitarist and as someone who also plays blues rock from time to time I would like to apologise for my mongrel musical background and for my lamentable taste in music. My inferiority is obviously inherent.

I'm so sorry. I'm so [i]very[/i] sorry.

I'm so very[i] f**king [/i]sorry.
[/quote]

On behalf of the Church of Basschat, [i]absolvo te[/i].

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1439314856' post='2841852']
On behalf of the Church of Basschat, [i]absolvo te[/i].
[/quote]

Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

(Rpt x20)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1439314992' post='2841853']
Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

(Rpt x20)
[/quote]

Yep, that should do it. Just don't forget to feel dirty.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1439235225' post='2841184']
[color=#111111][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Get this:[/font][/color]

[color=#111111][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]'Bass player needed to record and gig original album,blues rock based,diverse though soundgarden zepp qotsa cream,[b]suit a bored guitarist[/b] maybe,got drummers and a rehearsal room lined up,exp preffered solid timing or recording exp'[/font][/color]

[color=#111111][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Yes, any old guitarist can stifle a yawn, pick up a bass, and play blues-based rock. Simple![/font][/color]
[/quote]

Yep, ... but that is why you never let a gtr player pick a band :lol:

[quote name='Bikenbass' timestamp='1439327490' post='2841998']
I enjoy blues rock, early Zep, Purple, Bad Co. etc.
[/quote]

Me too, plenty of Zep on my iPod, but I don't think John Paul Jones, Roger Glover, Glenn Hughes etc are or were 'bored guitarists'!

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1439333392' post='2842062']
Does the ad not mean the bass lines might be only simple so a bass player night not be to keen. However a bored guitarist might fancy a go at a few simple lines?.
[/quote]
[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1439358454' post='2842084']
:lol:
[/THREAD]
[/quote]

You make a convincing argument!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1439470778' post='2843117']
He started on trumpet when he was given one on his 14th birthday.
[/quote]

I too started out on trumpet on my 14th birthday! After which, McCartney's career went in a rather different direction from my own. *Sigh*

At least I didn't write 'Mary Had A Little Lamb'. :mellow:

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1439309271' post='2841785']
I agree to a point, if I'm being paid I'll play anything. The problem with a lot of these gigs is there's very little money in it. Most bands in this field are playing the local pub on a Friday night for little are no money.
[/quote]

My established 70s style blues/rock band has been gigging for the past 9 years. We play around 75 shows a year. We have a fee that we won't budge from unless were offered multiple dates. We play fairs, festival, bars and clubs. The money is a lot better than you might think.

Blue