Why become a member? ×

Giving Soul/Disco covers the "Rock" makeover?

skidder652003

We used to play "Superstition" in the set list (cheesy) but it's thankfully been quietly dropped. I love the origional but I didn't think it worked as a rock song (we did the Beck Bogart Appice version).
Anyway, as the guilty secret Disco loving diva in the band, does anyone do any rocked-up disco or soul numbers in their set, any suggestions? I saw a band years ago do a great rock version of Hot Chocolate's Everyone's a winner, for starters.

Edited by skidder652003

We do Superstition, as do loads of bands no doubt. I don't think we do anyone's version of it.

You can probably do any song you like in any style you like as long as you've got the lyrics and melody there.

A previous function band I was in did Lady Marmalade.

However being in a function band where the drummer could only play disco or rock was fairly limiting and any funk numbers we played had all the funk bashed out and just turned to rock anyway. :rolleyes:

You'll probably find loads of bands play Stevie Wonder's - Higher Ground.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1437725575' post='2828468']
We do a mashup of Smoke On The water and Good Times/Rappers Delight. It goes down a storm. :D
[/quote]
every time i noodle that bassline (good times), the drummer points his sticks at me and frowns!

Edited by skidder652003

one of my bands does a version of I Will Survive, which always goes down weĺl at the end of a night. The other band does The Whos version of Dancing in the Street (don't think of the bowie jagger version it didn't really happen!).

Edited by sbrag

[quote name='pjb13.bass' timestamp='1437728738' post='2828508']

Totally agree about Lady Marmalade. Never played it live at all but would love to do it as a rock number. Wicked bass line!
[/quote]

It's quite straightforward. I really tried to give it some feeling but it was like fighting with a Scaffold board. Watching people try to dance to it was quite humorous. We played one gig with a proper drummer and had about 3 people ask for our card at the end. Which never happened when the rock drummer played. Hey-ho.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1437729086' post='2828511']
It's quite straightforward. I really tried to give it some feeling but it was like fighting with a Scaffold board. Watching people try to dance to it was quite humorous. We played one gig with a proper drummer and had about 3 people ask for our card at the end. Which never happened when the rock drummer played. Hey-ho.
[/quote]

Oh it's simple yes but so so effective. I've also thought that you wouldn't really have to change it that much...just do the horns section on an overdriven guitar and add a solo?

[quote name='pjb13.bass' timestamp='1437729294' post='2828514']

Oh it's simple yes but so so effective. I've also thought that you wouldn't really have to change it that much...just do the horns section on an overdriven guitar and add a solo?
[/quote]

Possibly. The trick with all cover versions is to strip them right down to acoustic guitar and vocals. If it works then build it up from the ground only adding what's really required. Then you'll find out straight away which songs are good and which ones rely on too much production that you'll never be able to replicate.

That's the best way to sell it to your band if they're philistines who can only understand something if they hear it first. :D

Edited by TimR

Disco-era Bee Gees seem to be among musicians' favourite hard-rock-ification targets. Dweezil Zappa's Staying Alive comes to mind, and NYC band Tragedy, who I dragged a bemused Happy Jack to see play live at the Camden Underworld a couple of years ago. They were great. :) :sun_bespectacled:

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1437723680' post='2828440']
I love the origional but I didn't think it worked as a rock song (we did the Beck Bogart Appice version).
[/quote]

Have you heard the Phil X cover of superstition? All sorts of good stuff! ...IMO anyway :P

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFUBF5y9Ams[/media]