Why become a member? ×

'Guitar Star' on Sky Arts

JwK94

Anybody seen this new (ish, its almost at the final now) show on sky arts called Guitar Stars? It's essentially X Factor for guitarists but without the flash and public votes and importantly some genuine talent. Has some killer players on it, plenty of child prodigys, and with 4 groups of differing styles too (Classical, Acoustic, Rock and Jazz).

Would definitely recommend checking out if you play guitar and want to see what you'll never become ;)

Watched them all so far with great interest, once we got past the auditioning stage where you had the normal "not so good" players being a subject of some amusement, it has been whittled down to some really brilliant guitarists in their various styles, and this is where I have a problem with it, how can you have just one winner from the combined styles of Jazz, Rock, Classical and Acoustic?

Last night a thirteen year old rock guitarist who is pretty good for his age, but more of a showman IMO, won his section and now has to compete with a brilliant jazz guitarist, a brilliant classical guitarist and a very decent acoustic guitarist, how on earth can you compare them fairly, they are ALL good in their own right, but for me, the jazz and classical guys were far superior in every way.

Yeh ive watched it.
As you said, more about the playing than their backstories. Which was my main concern when i first heard about it.
It is on Sky Arts, and was available for "catch up" last time i checked.
Well worth a look.
Although i have disagreed with one or two they have chosen to go through, i've really enjoyed it.

The young guy with bad timing, poor technique, cliched licks, but good hair winning his group was a travesty. However, I have learned that he is related to the owner of the 100 Club where it was filmed. Coincidence?

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1437551254' post='2826890']
The young guy with bad timing, poor technique, cliched licks, but good hair winning his group was a travesty. However, I have learned that he is related to the owner of the 100 Club where it was filmed. Coincidence?
[/quote]

I've gotta agree with that, seemed less about the playing more about the rockstar factor to me.

Will probably watch the final but thought the whole premise of the show is a bit pants really.

I've enjoyed the classical, jazz and acoustic sections immensely.

However "decent for 13" the lad on the electric is, he shouldn't have got past the first round, I thought there were far better players who didn't make it.

I've been watching it from the start as well. Overall it's pretty good (with some very talented players on show), but I think a few details will need tweaking a bit for future series'.

On the subject of the 13-year-old; there's definitely something about him in terms of stage presence (and it was quite amusing to see him giving the rhythm section some hints & tips about how to play his song in the studio :rolleyes: ), but I agree that he shouldn't have got past the previous round.

I want to believe that there isn't a stitch-up going on here, but if he gets past the semi-final over any one of the other three then that'll pretty much be the end of it for me. A star for the future no doubt, but surely the whole point of being a guitar star is that you're good at playing the instrument; and to be brutal, he isn't - at least not compared to the other three. Neither is it o.k. to say 'well he's only 13...what are you expecting?' I've taught any number of kids that were every bit as good as he is - and in some cases a lot better - at a very similar age. And let's not forget that the classical player is himself only 15!

Edit to add: Direct quotes from the show's own website:

1. "[i][b]... we're looking for a world-class guitarist.[/b][/i]"

2. "[b][i]...[/i][/b][b][i]competing guitarists are tested on their ability to play in a style of their choice and demonstrate outstanding skill and ability...[/i][/b]"

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'll be judging the show against these claims.

Anybody know who the session bassist is by the way?

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1437551254' post='2826890']
[/quote]

Mmm. Interesting that. The guy from the 100 Club who was helping judge made a big point of how important stage presence was. I wonder why! I assume if the lad hadn't run up and down the stage shaking his head and sliding on his knees he wouldn't have won that category? Doesn't cut it for me at all. Better guitarists on that stage who were more deserving.

Yeah its on demand on sky (well the heats for each category and semi final) if anyone has sky that is.

Having just watched the other 4 rock guitarists in that heat it really is strange that the 13 year old lad got through, not saying that he doesnt have the right attitude or potential, but some of the other guys were just so far ahead of him technically that it's almost criminal that they didn't get through!

Yeah I found when I had the semi final on that I was watching the session bassist half the time! Oops...

Haven't got Sky Arts. My biggest concern would be putting someone like Huey Morgan as a judge. Much as I like the FLCs he ain't no guitar hero. It would be like putting Rita Ora as a vocal judge. Oh...I'll get me coat.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the young lad who got through had pretty random timing and didn't deserve to win his round - I thought I was being unduly harsh (and doubted myself when the other judges voted in his favour) but it looks like maybe I'm in less of a minority than I thought.

IMO the 13 year old shouldnt of even got through the first round, as people have previoulsy said.

Have to agree with the Huey Morgan comment too!! The other judges showreel highlighted some nice playing, on his showreel he is standing in the middle of the stage playing barre chords :D

Funnily enough I have no objection to Huey Morgan being a judge, he may or may not be an exceptional player (I've not heard much of his playing beyond the stuff on the records... who could tell that Prince is a world class guitarist from listening to 1999?) but he certainly demonstrates a knowledge and understanding of the instrument and industry that make him a suitable judge IMO.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and totally agree with the points above especially about the rock section. What I also like is there are no egos amongst the judges and they are either complimentary or nice when things go wrong. The classical adjudicator, Helen Sanderson, was my guitar teacher for four years until recently and very, very strict when it came to musicality and get everything right, she is also one of the most sought adjudicators in the country for exams and such - she really knows her stuff, but she only had positive contributions to say about the candidates. Needless to say, I've watched it and recorded it from the start!

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1437572374' post='2827166']
I watched the first episode and maybe part of the second.

My prediction is that someone who does that percussive acoustic guitar thing is going to win. I hate that style of playing but norms seem to be impressed by it.
[/quote]

I dunno about that - the jazz player sounded pretty damn good to me. To be fair though, the percussive player was [i]very[/i] slick and would be worth it if he did win. The classical kid was good as well (but I can't see him winning it given the competition). It would (and should) have been nice to be able to say the same about the rock player...