Why become a member? ×

Quitting your job and going on tour

Weststarx

Hi Guys,

I work in an office, and it bores me to death. I would love to follow my dreams by joining a band, quitting my job and going on tour [i](Obviously I know its not as simple as that). [/i]

Has anyone ever left their steady and secure full time jobs for a life on the road or left their jobs for one or two tours? Was it worth it?

I guess I'm sort of having a midlife crisis at 22...

I often think about this... not that any of my bands to date have ever got anywhere near "making it"

I really don't think I'd do it if the call did come... I have financial commitments, savings payments to save up a deposit to buy a house, pension payments etc. to keep up. Not to mention rent, bills, council tax etc.

There is absolutely zero chance of music paying me enough to maintain all that so I think for me music will always be a hobby :)

I always have to make a point of this to the bands I've started / joined.

Edited by CamdenRob

The longer you leave it the more difficult it will be.

I hated most of the first 20 years of my office-based life and wish I'd followed a few dreams.

It's not quite the same, but I jacked in a (different) job I hated at 43 to live in France for 18 months. Working in PR I thought there'd be no way I'd get another job in the same "industry" when I got home. I arrived home on a Wednesday, had an interview on the Thursday and started the following Monday.

Now I'm hoping for redundancy so I can hightail it off to France again!

What do you mean by going on tour ?

Is it with out outfit where you are part of the band and want to risk making a name for yourself or it coming to nothing?

Or are you a hired hand and will get paid a wage, if so then you could liken it more to learn a trade and hope this kind of work continues.

I would however say at 22 if your job bores you , focus on sorting that issue out now rather than later, if music is the answer or another direction, only you can judge.

I'm 21, just finished Uni and just started working at a local supermarket, music wise I'm teaching on average 5 hours a week, playing for up to 18 hours a week just rehearsing with bands, gigging two nights a week, and doing my own rehearsing and writing. I plan on working at the supermarket for a year before leaving to fully pursue cruise ship work, tours, gigs, etc. etc. The best advice I've had off other guys who've done this is to save money like crazy before going full-time, as to begin with work is largely irregular and low paid.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1436875307' post='2821534']
What do you mean by going on tour ?

Is it with out outfit where you are part of the band and want to risk making a name for yourself or it coming to nothing?

Or are you a hired hand and will get paid a wage, if so then you could liken it more to learn a trade and hope this kind of work continues.

I would however say at 22 if your job bores you , focus on sorting that issue out now rather than later, if music is the answer or another direction, only you can judge.
[/quote]

If I was fussy I would say doing it as part of a band.

I just want to feel like I'm living life rather than just excisting, I don't know whether I'm slipping into depression about it but at the moment it l kind of feel like whats the point if I dont at least try to do what I want to do in life. Then theres the sensible boring part of me thats stopping me from taking any risks!

If I was your age, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.... Before you get those pesky things that get in the way like mortgages, bills, spouse, responsibilities, grey hair ;) :lol:

I agree with Discreet, chances are it'll fail, but you are young enough to bounce back and will have awesome stories to tell the grandkids!!

An important consideration is also to decide what you want to do musically. I have been incredibly fortunate to play with some people regarded as legends and not one of them ever asked me whether or not I was a full time pro (I was at some times and not at others).

A good friend of mine was so determined to earn his living from music he ended up selling his (inherited) home and bought a houseboat in an attempt to reduce his overheads to allow for him to maintain that 'status'.

Even though I have a 'real' job now, I still get to do short tours and frequently play in Europe. All the while I am earning a lot more than I would from music alone.

It's an entirely natural desire to be a pro but that doesn't make you any better than many others who aren't and you may be stuck playing stuff you don't want to because you need the money - not that different from your 'real' job, in fact.

I once turned down a job so that I could do the music for a theatre show for a few months. It was fantastic and I'd do it again like a shot if the circumstances were right. But it's all about the people - being on tour with a bunch of people who you don't get on with, playing music that doesn't do a lot for you, would be ten times worse than doing a dull office job but making amazing music with your mates in the evenings.

If your band gets the opportunity then do it... before 'life' gets in the way and you can't.

But...touring is not all glamorous and of course that depends on the level of your band.
Some people refer to a tour as setting up a few dates and driving to them but to my mind a tour
is when a promoter has booked you, runs the tour and you have wages, exes and accomodation sorted.
That way a nightly gig fee, or weekly wage/contract is tangible and you would expect to bring some money home
for your efforts.

Driving round Europe is tiring though so you want to be as comfortable and rested as possible..you may be
on the road for 10 hrs and you still have to do the gig until late and have to be on the road again by 9:00 latest
to do it all again... and again.

Dossing on 'friends' floors is not touring in my view but if you think that is where you want to start from and get the thing
out of your system, then go for it.
You'll have a load of stories and experiences from it, if nothing else, and you wont be able to afford to do it if you're settled down and have
a mortgage and kids to pay for....

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1436876704' post='2821562']

If I was fussy I would say doing it as part of a band.

I just want to feel like I'm living life rather than just excisting, I don't know whether I'm slipping into depression about it but at the moment it l kind of feel like whats the point if I dont at least try to do what I want to do in life. Then theres the sensible boring part of me thats stopping me from taking any risks!
[/quote]

I thought like this at 22. I was coming to the end of a long-term relationship and stuck in a dead-end job. I didn't dream of going on your though, I was thinking of backpacking across America. Even doing the Oz thing. I just wanted to do something. Having been in a serious relationship since 18 I felt I'd missed out on a lot of fun, and had watched all my friends go off travelling and having a great time.

Anyway, I then met a girl and it never happened!! She's Mrs Cameltoe now though so it worked out in the end.

I'd say go for it- just go do something now while you're young!

A guy I worked with did exactly that. But he had to work bloody hard at it, driving all over the country to play small but well connected gigs only to have to drive back home and be at his desk by 08:30 the next morning.

Bit by bit it seemed to work for him, and he cut back to half hours at one point before leaving and going for it.

First stop was supporting the Pixies and then the Chilli Peppers,

Currently he is playing guitar for Shaun Ryder in Black Grape.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1436875504' post='2821539']
I did just that (at 30), giving up life in H M Customs and Excise to be a Pretty Thing...
[/quote]

That is cool!

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1436876879' post='2821566']
It's an entirely natural desire to be a pro but that doesn't make you any better than many others who aren't and you may be stuck playing stuff you don't want to because you need the money - not that different from your 'real' job, in fact.
[/quote]

That is true!

Like I said in another thread somewhere today, when something becomes an obligation and then a chore, it's basically a job and any fun you get out of it is killed stone dead. I toured in the late 70s and early 80s and again in the 90s and though it was mostly fun, I was always glad when it was over and I wouldn't want to do it extensively. I prefer recording and one-off gigs, or maybe a mini-tour, but that's it. In any case, as usual there's no guarantee that you'll make a decent wedge out of it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1436875504' post='2821539']
I did just that (at 30), giving up life in H M Customs and Excise to be a Pretty Thing (the irony wasn't lost on me). I had a supportive family that made it possible and it was great while it lasted but it was incredibly tiring being on tour.
[/quote]

That's fantastic! When was that? The Pretty Things are one of my all-time favourite bands - my very first band was named after one of their songs.

The old saying comes to mind;

"If you want to earn a large fortune playing music.....
...... start out with a large one!"

I know a few young, talented musicians who have tried to earn money entirely from music
and every one of them had no money, unless they also got another (usually low paid) job....
Having said that - if it's your dream - go for it
You never know, you could get a very lucky break....

It's unlikely you'll get that break in your current boring job
and as others have said, the best time to do it is at your age
You have the energy & drive you'll undoubtedly need
while also being old enough to be streetwise etc

I was in a job I hated, for years
I couldn't get out of it - I know what a trap it can be
But maybe just look at getting a better job in the meantime anyway
..... and yes, save like mad for those first few months on the road

Whatever you decide
Good luck :)

It's about measuring up the pros and cons. If you have a sh*t job that is easily replaced, go (a lot of 'actors' in the US work sh*t jobs so they can 'resign' if an audition comes up and get another job the next day if they don't get the gig). If you have worked hard at developing a career, getting qualifications and all, maybe think more carefully. Also, if you have a mortgage vs. no financila obligations etc etc. Simple cost/benefit analysis.

I'd say carry on treating music as a serious hobby, get yourself a well paid job, pay off the mortgage, retire early with a decent pension and then turn to music full time. Kind of what I have done, and although the music career is exactly setting the world on fire, I do get to play with some good people, including our Ms Haan.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1436879204' post='2821603']
I'd say carry on treating music as a serious hobby, get yourself a well paid job, pay off the mortgage, retire early with a decent pension and then turn to music full time.
[/quote]

But that'll take the OP the best part of thirty years! He doesn't want to do that, he's 22! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436879404' post='2821605']
But that'll take the OP the best part of thirty years! He doesn't want to do that, he's 22! :D
[/quote]

Good point, I'm at the other end of that tunnel, and being 22 doesn't seem anything like as long ago as being 50 something must seem to a 22 year old!

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1436879915' post='2821608']
Good point, I'm at the other end of that tunnel, and being 22 doesn't seem anything like as long ago as being 50 something must seem to a 22 year old!
[/quote]

When I was 22 I thought anyone over 30 was a waste of space and should be dead!! :lol:
Mind you I'm 50-something now, and I still think that. :mellow:

I'd say go for it mate, and just take it as it comes.

I don't think any decisions I made when I was 22 have been irreversible, and you've got plenty of time ahead of you to decide what you want to do later ( I know parents and stuff don't tend to say that, but it's bloody true.)

You're gonna have to work for long enough in life, so it's worth finding something that's actually right for you, and even if this does go tits up it'll lead you into something else, or just be a worthwhile experience anyway.

Look at it this way - if your current job is deadly anyway, then even if you leave it and can't get it back later, is that really a huge loss or have you decided that it's not for you anyway?

Doesn't sound like a huge thing to lose.

I say do what you dream of now before life gets more complicated. Good luck, and enjoy it mate!