Why become a member? ×

Chuck Berry at the BBC in 1972

PaulWarning

just watched Chuck Berry on the iplayer, thoroughly enjoyed it, the bass could be clearly heard driving along the performance and Chuck was in fine form, this is how gigs should sound.
The terrified look on the faces of the backing band, as they tried to figure out what Chuck was going to do next was amusing.
A few fluffed endings and stops only added to the entertainment from my point of view

It's great, I saw it years ago. He was already something of a 'nostalgia' act even then and to save money would just pick up a scratch band wherever he went and just got on with it. The quality of these bands was of course variable! Great programme though, hugely entertaining. We won't see his like again, unfortunately.

The musicians were very variable, which was a mistake. Chuck thought that everyone had come to see him, which was true, but he soon got a reputation for putting on poor gigs. In a way he wasn't wrong because despite taking the piss he still managed to work for over 60 years.

Chuck didn't have a set list or announce the numbers, he just started playing and his songs were played in C, Bb, Ab etc, not in guitar keys so some bands had a big learning experience.

I don't watch Chuck Berry live for the above reasons, but I have most of his records.

You can't imagine the earthquake they caused in the minds of musicians around the world in the 50's and 60's.

I saw him about 20 years in Nottingham, he didn't disappoint, he was exactly as I expected right down to his white crimplene flairs, apparently he's still playing today at 90, not very well it has to be said, but don't try and tell me he's not in love with his music,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID3Xx4uNFXs&list=RDID3Xx4uNFXs#t=58

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1436698687' post='2819973']

You can't imagine the earthquake they caused in the minds of musicians around the world in the 50's and 60's.
[/quote]Back to the Future, priceless moment, when Marty tried to play some Chuck Berry

The story I heard from a guy who reckoned he'd been in one of the bands he'd used. Was that Chuck turned up alone in a cab with just a guitar and demanded cash up front before he went on. He hardly spoke to the band, no set list, more or less just " when I stamp my left foot its the end of the song" Trouble was, some of the songs were in different keys to the records, and the intros were all but unrecognisable.

At the end he thanked them, didnt give them anything, and left in a cab

Seen Chuck many times over the years, and for me even when not ....err...on top form he is
one of those people who still makes my hair stand on end. I saw him on the same UK tour as
the BBC concert, at Doncaster Top Rank. He even wore the same shirt! That gig pretty much
changed my life, and have been a fan to this day.
Bruce Springsteen tells a great story in the 'Hail Hail Rock n Roll' movie. Apparently his
band were booked to back Chuck in the 70's. Chuck arrived only just in time for the show,
with the band not having met or discussed songs with him. A nervous Springsteen knocks
on Chuck's dressing room door to enquire what they might be playing.
Chuck's answer is 'Well son, we'll be doing some Chuck berry songs.....'

I been a Chuck Berry fan since I got my first LP - as they were called then - which was the Stones first one, and of of my sisters boyfriends, realising that at 11 is was already into R&B played me some Chuck.

Never seen him live, but I think the reason some people dont get it when they see him on TV is probably that the atmosphere is missing. Rock n Roll aint about perfection is it ? Although some of the live CB I've seen is pretty bad, I still cant help but break out into a grin watching him.

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1436707919' post='2820068']
If you see the rock and roll show footage of the Wembly show from the early 70s you can spot a long haired Wilco Johnson in Chucks band..
[/quote]

And in Heinz's. One of the best lines I've heard from Wilco was when he said Heinz was a talent free zone. :)

I have a great early 60s live CB album 'Chuck Berry on stage 'All the tracks are just studio versions with applause dubbed on. Which gives me the impression that he wasnt that great a live player even back then..

Still without what he wrote, most people agree Rock n Roll would have been very different. Have you ever wondered how it would have gone though ?
Would all the modern greats, as kids all have taken up Piano instead, and tried to sound like Jerry Lee, or like my other hero Little Richard ?

Or maybe tried to emulate Pat Boone ... errm.. Nah !

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1436717035' post='2820153']
I have a great early 60s live CB album 'Chuck Berry on stage 'All the tracks are just studio versions with applause dubbed on.
[/quote]

That would have been the record company selling the same album twice. Used to happen a lot and the artists wouldn't necessarily have been told.

Chess put out several Bo Diddely albums which had a couple of demo's and a load of his songs played by someone else.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1436699797' post='2819983']
The story I heard from a guy who reckoned he'd been in one of the bands he'd used. Was that Chuck turned up alone in a cab with just a guitar and demanded cash up front before he went on.
[/quote]

Cash up front (all of it) or he didn't play. No cheques. Same with Jerry Lee.

The story I heard from a guy who reckoned he'd been in one of the bands he'd used. Was that Chuck turned up alone in a cab with just a guitar and demanded cash up front before he went on. He hardly spoke to the band, no set list, more or less just " when I stamp my left foot its the end of the song" Trouble was, some of the songs were in different keys to the records, and the intros were all but unrecognisable.

[/quote]

I think Chuck got ripped off so bad in the 50s, he got really weird about money. However he did earn how to keep what was his.

I heard the IRS once came to his St.Louis home asking for back taxes. He went ballistic and said; "I OWE YOU HOW MUCH!"

The tax man said $300,000. Chuck went into a safe in his bedroom came out with $300,000. in cash and paid them.

Blue

[/quote]

Yup, he would go straight to the promoter and get his cash. The band is lucky Chuck didn't demand money from them for the privilege of playing with him, I am sure he got the receipt from the cab driver too. He learned to write off every expense.

Blue

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1436702180' post='2820014']

Bruce Springsteen tells a great story in the 'Hail Hail Rock n Roll' movie. Apparently his
band were booked to back Chuck in the 70's. Chuck arrived only just in time for the show,
with the band not having met or discussed songs with him. A nervous Springsteen knocks
on Chuck's dressing room door to enquire what they might be playing.
Chuck's answer is 'Well son, we'll be doing some Chuck berry songs.....'
[/quote]

Bruce was lucky Chuck told him anything about the show.

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1436699401' post='2819980']
That's too embarrassing to watch.
[/quote]

He's 90. It's completely cool for me.

I can pretty much bet where you and me will be and what we will be doing at 90. lol :D

Blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436721969' post='2820215']
Cash up front (all of it) or he didn't play. No cheques. Same with Jerry Lee.
[/quote]

For those of us that are very active in bar band business it's actually a valid and good business model.

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1436698687' post='2819973']

Chuck didn't have a set list or announce the numbers, he just started playing and his songs were played in C, Bb, Ab etc, not in guitar keys so some bands had a big learning experience.[/quote]

I'm one of those that believe he played those chords because of Johnny Johnston his piano player. Some say Johnny should have gotten credit for a lot of Chuck's songs

Blue