Why become a member? ×

BeLow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='313337' date='Oct 23 2008, 09:33 PM']Bernie is taking my babies so say hi to them :)[/quote]

and mine!

- I'll take some photos of the event if anybody is interested...?

Edited by EBS_freak

I'll most probably be there on Sunday, but depends on the weather. I've got the kids for the weekend, so we'll pick the best day for "indoors-y" stuff (they both play too, so will be as keen as me!!)!

I still haven't hooked up with many Basschatters, or been to any BassBashes, so is there a secret handshake I ought to know about, or do I just wear the usual red carnation??!!

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='313775' date='Oct 24 2008, 01:30 PM']I'll most probably be there on Sunday, but depends on the weather. I've got the kids for the weekend, so we'll pick the best day for "indoors-y" stuff (they both play too, so will be as keen as me!!)!

I still haven't hooked up with many Basschatters, or been to any BassBashes, so is there a secret handshake I ought to know about, or do I just wear the usual red carnation??!![/quote]

It's the custom for basschatters to walk around with no trousers on. Pants are purely optional.

I did!-I was first in the queue when he arrived-in fact I [i]was[/i] the queue! I went to see the Stranglers at the Uni the night before (storming night!), and knowing he was going to be there the next day I booked a hotel and got to the show about half an hour before he arrived. I don't think many others knew who he was either-I got the impression I was the only one who was there specifically to meet him. I got to have a bit of a chat with him, got my poster signed and shook his hand-bear in mind this is the bloke who inspired me to take up the bass nearly 30 years ago, been a fan all those years and never got a chance to meet him. He brought Baz Warne, the Stranglers' guitarist with him, so having met JJ I went off to find Baz and have a word with him and shake his hand too, so that was a bonus for me.
When I arrived I spoke to the chap on the Rotosound stand to ask when JJ was expected, he turned out to be Jason How, their chief exec, and was a really nice chap and a Stranglers fan too, so I hung around chatting to him until JJ arrived. Having met Baz, I went back to the Rotosound stand to buy some strings ( they were doing two sets for £25, and I felt I ought to buy something!) and in parting I told him how chuffed I was to have finally met JJ, and he was good enough to offer to take a pic of me and the great man on his camera, which he's going to send to me when I email him in a few days. Not surprisingly I went away like a dog with two tails!
JJ was apparently only there for a short while, as the band were in Birmingham that night for another gig. Prior to his arrival I had a look around the show (got a poster signed by Jim Marshall as well, another result!). There was a fair bit of bass-related stuff there-I can't say I saw anything that I felt I was going to die if I didn't buy, thankfully. The Ampeg, EBS/GB and Trace stands looked pretty good. I wish I could have stuck around longer and met some of you chaps, but I had to get back to reclaim my daughter from my parents who'd had her overnight-besides by that time I'd run out of dosh!

Edited by Deep Thought

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='314917' date='Oct 26 2008, 09:34 AM']I did!-I was first in the queue when he arrived-in fact I [i]was[/i] the queue! I went to see the Stranglers at the Uni the night before (storming night!), and knowing he was going to be there the next day I booked a hotel and got to the show about half an hour before he arrived. I don't think many others knew who he was either-I got the impression I was the only one who was there specifically to meet him. I got to have a bit of a chat with him, got my poster signed and shook his hand-bear in mind this is the bloke who inspired me to take up the bass nearly 30 years ago, been a fan all those years and never got a chance to meet him. He brought Baz Warne, the Stranglers' guitarist with him, so having met JJ I went off to find Baz and have a word with him and shake his hand too, so that was a bonus for me.
When I arrived I spoke to the chap on the Rotosound stand to ask when JJ was expected, he turned out to be Jason How, their chief exec, and was a really nice chap and a Stranglers fan too, so I hung around chatting to him until JJ arrived. Having met Baz, I went back to the Rotosound stand to buy some strings ( they were doing two sets for £25, and I felt I ought to buy something!) and in parting I told him how chuffed I was to have finally met JJ, and he was good enough to offer to take a pic of me and the great man on his camera, which he's going to send to me when I email him in a few days. Not surprisingly I went away like a dog with two tails!
JJ was apparently only there for a short while, as the band were in Birmingham that night for another gig. Prior to his arrival I had a look around the show (got a poster signed by Jim Marshall as well, another result!). There was a fair bit of bass-related stuff there-I can't say I saw anything that I felt I was going to die if I didn't buy, thankfully. The Ampeg, EBS/GB and Trace stands looked pretty good. I wish I could have stuck around longer and met some of you chaps, but I had to get back to reclaim my daughter from my parents who'd had her overnight-besides by that time I'd run out of dosh![/quote]

Sounds like you had a great day! Always a bit daunting meeting someone who's a bit of a hero or inspiration.... The whole day looks like it was really good!

Well that was fun, though didn't get to spend as much time there as I had hoped, but met Stuart, EBS_Freak and saw the ferrets' babies.

I played a few things and then spent a very long time talking to Bernie Goodfellow, having my thoughts changed about who will make my custom bass! I had originally set my heart on a new Wal, but having played EBS_Freak's GB Rumour I am now having a very serious re-think!!

Thanks for your time guys, and next time I shall ignore smart-alec suggestions about leg apparail, and save myself such embarrassment!!

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='314917' date='Oct 26 2008, 09:34 AM']I wish I could have stuck around longer and met some of you chaps, but I had to get back to reclaim my daughter from my parents who'd had her overnight-besides by that time I'd run out of dosh![/quote]

Mike, think you had probably left by the time I arrived - pity as would have liked to have said hi

[quote name='BeLow' post='314977' date='Oct 26 2008, 11:46 AM']Just \ bait more to add on the proceedings

In terms of performances / seminars I really only was intending to attend the two bass related ones but ended up seeing the one before because they were running late.

Andy Manson (brother of Hugh Manson of Manson guitars fame) builds acoustic instruments mostly and he played this amazing guitar / sculpture together with a guy from the states who had come over to pick up an acoustic Andy had made for him.[/quote]

I caught this performance for the same reason - had turned up to see Mr. Clayton's show

Can't say I cared much for the strumming mermaid and bass/guitar thingy - thought Andy Manson is no doubt a master luthier - was refreshing when Stuart Clayton's seminar started and he came out all LEDs blazing, slapping out Mr. Pink on a GB Bass !

Edited by Platypus

[quote name='BeLow' post='314664' date='Oct 25 2008, 05:51 PM']I spent a bit of time on the PRS stand and Bass zone set up by Mansons I was really taken by a Lakland 55-01 and came very close to buying one at a really good price.[/quote]

Yep, Mansons had some gems on that Bass Zone stand - nice Aguilar DB750 rig as well as an Eden rig and a an SWR Readhead with a Marcus Miller pre-amp on top. Some nice basses too - 4 or 5 Pedulla, a couple of Zons a few Laklands along with some 'Rays and Warwicks.

Thought Fender were most generous giving away their calenders wich had a custom axe photo for each month - why it even included a p bass. That was until I realised they were 2008 calendars ! Still, good for November/December :)

Edited by Platypus

[quote name='Platypus' post='315302' date='Oct 26 2008, 07:26 PM']Thought Fender were most generous giving away their calenders wich had a custom axe photo for each month - why it even included a p bass. That was until I realised they were 2008 calendars ! Still, good for November/December :)[/quote]

In the same way they were generous with the tee shirts, having eyed me up and down before giving away a nice looking long sleeved jobby, but an XXL (I'm a well obvious medium)..... Smacks of trying to clear the leftover freebie cupboard....!!! Not sure if this is very useful PR or the right way to impress the punters, I'd have been happier with something useable, even if just a mousemat or summat... If there are any big chaps out there who could make use of it, let me know!!