Why become a member? ×

Is the Marketplace full of dreamers??

morsefull

Ok,

It's probably best for me to calm down a bit. I've PM'd the seller and am awaiting his reply.

I want the Marketplace to be everything we need it to be. Open, transparent and a place where we can trust each other.

I remember a thread a long time ago when someone paid for a bass and didn't receive it and the response from the Basschat " family" was amazing. If I remember correctly he got either the bass or his money back.
Now I'm not at all out of pocket but it's important that we are all aware of the issues that can arise relating to sales here.

The more we discuss various issues the better it'll be for all, whether selling or buying.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1436202684' post='2815943']
When selling or buying on ebay I can see that once you click "Buy" that's it - you clicked, you bought. No backing out. It's all buying blind really. I've bought basses that way and found out that not all Fender's (for example) sound the same, even though the spec might appear to be the same.

When buying on BC I expect to arrange to go and see a bass, try it and buy if I like it. If I don't like it, or I'm not sure I'll politely back out and wish the other guy all the best and leave. I'd expect exactly the same in the return. We all know that many basses can't simply be tried out in a store, because stores don't stock them. I expect that I can go and try a bass, as long as I genuinely set out honestly wanting to buy and not simply go "tyre kicking".

If the seller has driven a fair way, to meet I'd expect to cover his/her costs if I've wasted their time. (Never happened yet).

I may be wrong on all this, of course. I was once in a situation where I drove 120 miles to try a bass. We were given a cuppa and hot-cross buns! I tried 2 basses. One was the one I went to try. It was ok, but not for me. The other was really cool, but a good bit more than I could afford, but served to show that I could be far better suited to a bass other than the one I went there to try.

I can understand the seller was disappointed, but I'd been the one who'd forked out for the fuel for going there, so I left empty handed.

When I got home I had a PM informing me that generally everyone on BC are really good guys and a pleasure to meet. I was, I was told, not one of them. I was the scum of the earth and should hang my head in shame.

So I guess not all folk here have the same outlook or expectations?
[/quote]

Brilliant!!! :lol:

I've had a few times people coming to try something I was selling only for them to go "hmmm, not sure, I'll think about it" and go away. I never felt for a minute that they were doing wrong. IN fact, I admired them because usually when I go to try something I end up buying it! I can't resist! :lol: (not always ;))

I do understand the Ops point of view but then I am someone whose word is my bond but yeah the market place does have to many dreamers and timwasters nowadays I prefer to sell on ebay now is less hassle and that is some thing I thought I would never say lol but I do think the marketplace is OK for selling small bits and bobs but to much hassle bass wise and I won't be renewing my subscription this year because of that which is a shame as the market place used to be spot on I know everywhere can be a pain but unfortunately for me the market place here has been to much bother in recent time maybe just a sign of BC getting to big? I dunno but just my experience

[quote name='morsefull' timestamp='1436207439' post='2816018']
Ok,

It's probably best for me to calm down a bit. I've PM'd the seller and am awaiting his reply.

I want the Marketplace to be everything we need it to be. Open, transparent and a place where we can trust each other.

I remember a thread a long time ago when someone paid for a bass and didn't receive it and the response from the Basschat " family" was amazing. If I remember correctly he got either the bass or his money back.
Now I'm not at all out of pocket but it's important that we are all aware of the issues that can arise relating to sales here.

The more we discuss various issues the better it'll be for all, whether selling or buying.
[/quote]

+1

The problem with people is that... they're people! :lol: But we generally have a good bunch over here. Let's not get a disappointing experience cloud our vision.

If the bass is still available, I hope you manage to make it yours! :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1436210021' post='2816058']

+1

The problem with people is that... they're people! :lol: But we generally have a good bunch over here. Let's not get a disappointing experience cloud our vision.

If the bass is still available, I hope you manage to make it yours! :)
[/quote]

I think it's available, just not to me !! :)

I've had great experiences on here .( sold 2 basses ,a few books, a couple of effects ). Wasn't sure about an effect I got on here. After trying it out for a couple of days, it was ok. I have a couple of basses for sale on here at the moment. After seeing a lot of people on here warning us about bad experiences selling on fleabay( apparently ,the buyer is always right), I've decided to just let them sit on here for a while.
Regarding my telebass; one buyer pulled out at the last moment. A couple of pm's from bass hatters who I've never heard of telling me they're interested, but no follow up.

I have withdrawn the basses, and relisted them because of sad times financially . If they don't sell in a few months, then I may keep them altogether. It's a buyers market ,so things can be slooooow! I won't be low balled tho';)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1436210906' post='2816076']
I've had great experiences on here .( sold 2 basses ,a few books, a couple of effects ). Wasn't sure about an effect I got on here. After trying it out for a couple of days, it was ok. I have a couple of basses for sale on here at the moment. After seeing a lot of people on here warning us about bad experiences selling on fleabay( apparently ,the buyer is always right), I've decided to just let them sit on here for a while.
Regarding my telebass; one buyer pulled out at the last moment. A couple of pm's from bass hatters who I've never heard of telling me they're interested, but no follow up.

I have withdrawn the basses, and relisted them because of sad times financially . If they don't sell in a few months, then I may keep them altogether. It's a buyers market ,so things can be slooooow! I won't be low balled tho' ;)
[/quote]

"Bass Hatters" :) :) more like mad hatters.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1436262818' post='2816450']
;) ;)
That's another thing. There have been some really cool bassss for sale oI here.The annoying thing is, they're from foreign sellers who seem to have little interest in Basschat otherwise
[/quote]

Do you really want foreigners coming over here and occupying your forum and buying your basses??? :P

(disclaimer: I one of those foreigners, I do have a couple of cool basses for sale, but I do have an interest in BC beyond GAS, honest :))

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1436247335' post='2816306']
I don't know, maybe it was trying for;

[url="https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/asshat"]https://en.m.wiktion...org/wiki/asshat[/url]

:-D
[/quote]

I think I deserve an Asshat for my over-reaction. :) :)

Anyway, regarding the sale dispute PM's are being exchanged and hopefully things will get sorted in true Basschat manner :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1436266104' post='2816491']

Do you really want foreigners coming over here and occupying your forum and buying your basses??? :P

(disclaimer: I one of those foreigners, I do have a couple of cool basses for sale, but I do have an interest in BC beyond GAS, honest :))
[/quote]
Are you one of salmonds crew?;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1436273910' post='2816617']
Are you one of salmonds crew? ;)
[/quote]

Nah, I may or not sympathise with some of their goals (obscure enough?), but I'm only an adoptive son of Scotland. I'm Spanish actually. I'm here because I love the weather. :mellow: :P

edit: and my "mcnach" alias existed way before I even realised that one day I'd live in Scotland

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1436283635' post='2816731']
Cool! ( well cooler than london)
Wish I was Scottish right now . The heat makes me say fumny things ;)
[/quote]

what is that heat you speak of?
It seems you lot south of the border keep it all for yourselves, as usual ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1436292349' post='2816833']

what is that heat you speak of?
It seems you lot south of the border keep it all for yourselves, as usual ;)
[/quote]

Seems you're adapting well to being a Scott: like moaning that we in the south have it easy, while you have free healthcare and education. :P

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1436293307' post='2816848']
Seems you're adapting well to being a Scott: like moaning that we in the south have it easy, while you have free healthcare and education. :P
[/quote]

:lol: I had intensive lessons over the past couple of years!!! :P

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1436195921' post='2815834']
Ive had a fair amount of good experiences on here and taken 2 what I consider "risks" , where posts / feedback was not in abundance, and all was well.

Having said that even in the best places, where there are humans, there will be issues
[/quote]
similar here, all has went very well after rolling the dice a couple of times.

Still a great place to sell and find good stuff...but I guess it just responds to the climate. People seem to be asking more for things, and less prepared to trade or haggle....but anything old Fender or Ampeg still shifts. People are trying to get their money back wherever possible, and only want to invest again in stuff that will hold its value...along with a growing community with more "traders".

Use the feedback - especially if you're had a problem.

I have bought stuff off here on about 10 occasions and never had a problem. A bonus is that those people have also been prepared to ship overseas (tho at my cost of course) which really is appreciated.

Haven't sold anything on here yet, so still have to experince it from that side.

But all good so far.

I can guarantee its not all dreamers in the for sale threads - I was in the market for a vintage sunburst late 80s/early 90s Stingray - one appeared and the first time I saw the ad (about 2 days later) it had already sold ......... Damn!!!

Perhaps the thread could be split so that the most popular makes/models get their own subthreads - thus avoiding buyers having to trawl through pages and pages of xyzabc etc and sellers having to constantly bump their items.

It would be better if people used single ads for each item and described the item using generic terms in the same logical order for each post title. Maybe a sticky with example format for subject title might help.

Eg
Type - make - model - year - colour
4string Fender Jazz 1977 red

Would make scanning through a lot more simple and searching easier.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1436356292' post='2817389']
It would be better if people used single ads for each item and described the item using generic terms in the same logical order for each post title. Maybe a sticky with example format for subject title might help.

Eg
Type - make - model - year - colour
4string Fender Jazz 1977 red

Would make scanning through a lot more simple and searching easier.
[/quote]

Careful now, that's sounding dangerously like common sense...

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1436356966' post='2817405']

Careful now, that's sounding dangerously like common sense...
[/quote]

Sorry.

On second thoughts it might impinge on people's freedom to use ALL CAPS and "unique opportunity of a lifetime to purchase rare" etc...