Why become a member? ×

Mike Lull JAX T4 (Hi-def shots)

NancyJohnson

New bass arrived 19/6/15. It's a satin black Mike Lull JaxT4 (the stock Jeff Ament/Pearl Jam model). The satin finish is almost finishing/fine-grit wet and dry paper to touch, not unpleasant at all. All the chrome is nice (for a change). Dunlop Straploks as standard. Neck is nice...profile comparison is between a Jazz and Precision, but more Jazz. No idea of the radius. (*edit #1 here: the reverse headstock is going to take some getting used to. After 30+ years of playing, the instinction of going for the top of the headstock to tune will never go away.) Comes in a nice orange hard case, Lull certification and a bag of picks. It balances nicely on the strap (don't ask) and sounds very nice direct or through a battery of Sansamps.

Edits: Despite the general all round loveliness, there's an ongoing issue with the bridge pickup; Lull sent out a replacement (which hasn't solved the problem!), so at present the bass is up with Mark at Bass Direct to resolve. I'm a pretty patient person and despite having ownership for nearly a month now, I've not actually used the bass in anger. I should have it back shortly and hopefully fixed.

Anyhow, to the photos. Get your tissues out.

That's it!
P

The bass itself:

The back...the tummy cut is generous and really comfortable:

Headstock view. I'm so used to the Gibson Thunderbird's slab body, the chamfer on the right forearm bout is very nice to play around, almost sharkfin-esque (no more bruises!):

Give the body is supposed to be 20% larger than a Gibson, a side by side was necessary:

And another (even though the photo doesn't look like it, I lined up the two basses at the nut):

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1434831444' post='2803213']
Very nice, congrats! What wood is it made from?
[/quote]

Haven't got a clue...I really don't know my woods. I sometimes wonder whether it actually makes that much difference to be honest...it doesn't really matter what I play, they always end up sounding fairly similar! I'm assuming it's just a painted up version of the natural finish one (whatever that is):

Anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1434835601' post='2803247']

Haven't got a clue...I really don't know my woods. I sometimes wonder whether it actually makes that much difference to be honest...it doesn't really matter what I play, they always end up sounding fairly similar! I'm assuming it's just a painted up version of the natural finish one (whatever that is):

Anyone?
[/quote]

Congrats it's Beautiful. Just beautiful. But since you ask yours should be mahogany unless you asked for something different. The natural one posted above is mine and it's an ash body with maple neck. The other one I have is a mahogany body and maple neck.
There's not a huge difference between them tone wise which is good. Enough for a little character change but not enough to re EQ the amp if you switch.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.